Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Leak of clear fluid under right lower control arm. (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/816103-leak-of-clear-fluid-under-right-lower-control-arm.html)

FabianS 05-20-2014 04:03 PM

Leak of clear fluid under right lower control arm.

Hey all, seems I have a leak from somewhere under my car. Was hoping these were done after I replaced my lower valve cover gaskets, but I guess not.

It seems to be a clear liquid right under the lower control arm on the rear passengers side. I'll have to jack the car up to get a better look, but I'm assuming it's coming from my shock...anything else I should look out for? Brakes? I know it's not the lower valve covers as those are dry as a whistle.

I'm thinking my luck would be for it to be the shock, seeing as I had an alignment about 1500kms ago, and who wouldn't want to pay to have it done all over again, right :p

71-3.0-911 05-20-2014 04:48 PM

I don't know what kind of shocks you have but it could be from them or maybe brake fluid. Do you see anything on the caliper or disc?

FabianS 05-20-2014 04:56 PM

I have the Bilstein HD (B6) shocks all around with the H&R springs...the units that Carnewal sells with the adjustable collars on them. I couldn't see anything on the caliper or disc when I quickly popped my head under it. It looks like whatever it is is dripping off the plastic cover on the rear most lower control arm and end links in the area.

mpruden 05-20-2014 05:08 PM

Power streering fluid? It would run down in that area, but would be more green, not clear.

FabianS 05-20-2014 05:57 PM

I'll have to take a real good look when I get a chance. If it is the shock, is there no way to pull it out and send it to Bilstein without having to get it all aligned again? I'd rather not have to pony up $475 again only 1500 kms since my last alignment.

JPP 05-20-2014 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by mpruden (Post 11381792)
Power streering fluid? It would run down in that area, but would be more green, not clear.

I had a similar leak I chased for weeks ... turned out to be a loose power steering line clamp behind the airbox. There are several hose to hard-line connections in that area for the power steering fluid system .. I'd get a good light and start looking along the right side of the engine bay .. reach in and feel for fluid around the wire harness that runs along the inner quarter bulkhead etc.

FabianS 05-20-2014 06:30 PM

If it was from the power steering fluid, it would run down the wall of the wheel well area, yeah? I'm pretty sure the fluid is clear and not green.

trophy 05-20-2014 06:37 PM

Hey Fabian, It can only be one of a few things, Engine Oil, PS Fluid, Brake Fluid or Shock oil. Only two of these could be clear being brake fluid or shock oil. You can eliminate brake fluid potentially by checking the colour in the reservoir, that would just leave a leaking shock.

We can do a rear shock without a full wheel alignment no worries, would just have to recheck rear toe, and that would be quick at my place.

JPP 05-20-2014 06:43 PM

^^^ At first I thought mine was an oil leak, it didn't look green in small quantities .. when the car was parked in the garage .. after a day, it left a 50cent size drip on the floor right behind the rear wheel and when I looked up in that area, the axle was wet .. and when the axle spun during driving, it sent fluid in many directions. My leak dripped down from the firewall inside the engine compartment onto a ledge, under the wiring harness and pooled in the corner, then down between the frame and engine sheet metal onto an upper suspension piece and eventually onto the axle. However, it also continued under that wiring harness leaving fluid under the power steering reservoir as well so my second guess was the reservoir was leaking at the bottom, but after inspection, it was eliminated as a source. I went through the p.s. system line by line until I finally removed the airbox and saw the loose clamp. When the car was parked, anything on the axle ran down towards the wheel and dripped onto the floor, that's why I thought at first that it was coming from under the car and not inside the engine compartment. I couldn't see the green tint of the fluid until I saw concentrated drips of it on the axle ..

FabianS 05-20-2014 06:57 PM

Steven, I checked the brake fluid quick yesterday, and the level looked fine. As for color, what should I be looking for? If it's the shock, and I need to send it to Bilstein to be rebuilt, is it pretty easy to get the sucker out? I've installed a coil over lift in my truck, but it has lots of room to work, and is pretty easy to figure out.

If I have time tonight or tomorrow I'll pull the wheel off and take a real good look, as well as in the engine compartment.

Thanks for the help Gentlemen.

FabianS 05-21-2014 11:32 AM

Took a good look and it's not the power steering, brakes or oil from the engine. There looked to be oil in the area where the end link attaches to the shock, but not really anything other than dirt on the shock, and under the boot on the shock. I cleaned everything up really well, including the two plastic covers, and I'll see if I can detect anything after driving it a bit. I also did an old motocross trick by cleaning out the area around the shock shaft with 35mm camera film, to ensure no grit was around the seals.

Is it possible that when I had an oil change at the end of last season that oil from the oil filter in the area, or from the job itself could have gotten in the area, and slowly be dripping out?

71-3.0-911 05-21-2014 12:54 PM

The oil looks nothing like clear fluid you describe. At this point, I would say it's the shock leaking, of which can be fixed for a small fee. I have the same shocks as you but different coils. Any chance you have the part number for the H&R coils you're running? Thanks!

FabianS 05-21-2014 01:10 PM

I'll see if I can snag it next time I take a follow up look under there. You thinking about getting the H&R's?

I guess I can send the shock off to Bilstein for a rebuild for $75 or so, but it might take 4-6 weeks to get it back :(

71-3.0-911 05-21-2014 02:28 PM

I am considering them. I have a few I'm looking at but like your ride height. Mine is WAY too low and hopefully with your info and my b6s, I can get this thing sorted. On the plus side, the H&Rs are cheaper than a pair of ROW M030s.

FabianS 05-21-2014 04:29 PM

I find the set up nice. Ride is good IMHO, and the ride height looks good. I'm pretty sure you can get them from Carnewal or other vendors for a good price.