Notices

Alternator Replacement Nightmare

Old 06-17-2014, 05:32 PM
benjr
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its original. I shocked the harness for a part number as recommended in another post and there is no part #. My VIN is also out of the range affected. I called Porsche and the dealer to be sure and its not included. My car is a 1997 only 1995 and 1996 affected. The dealer said I can have it towed in and they would see if Porsche would cover it. Thats a pain though. Good news is the harness is only 110.00 bad news is the labor!
Old 06-17-2014, 06:04 PM
jotaking
User

Sorry to see your woes!

Looking at the pics it looks like a loose connection or compression of the cable causing high resistance, low volts and high temp.

Most economic fix would be to strip back to bright copper, cut out heat damaged cable, replace with same gauge cable, crimp and heat shrink.

When complete, test Ohm value of repaired cable from alternator to starter to make sure the repair is good.

Should be good for another 20 years.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:35 PM
benjr
User

The orientation of the alternator cable was about 1 o'clock if you are looking from the front of the engine. Is that right or should it be a different orientation? I guess it doesn't matter what happened. Im getting a replacement alternator and harness to make sure I do it right. I hate niot being able to drive my baby.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:43 PM
jotaking
User

Not sure of orientation, however seems that you've decided go all out on replacement rather than repair...best policy in the long run.

Good luck, hope your wheels are rolling soon!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator Replacement Nightmare

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: