993 Forum 1995-1998

Interior door handle removal and replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 10:00 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Interior door handle removal and replacement

For those here who have changed their interior door handles, I just ordered a pair of rennlines. Can you post how you swapped them out?

(Not earth shattering I know...)
Old 05-10-2014, 11:31 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Kevin,

It is an easy job and shouldn't take more than 30 mins. per side. I think you need to remove the door card panels.

Going by memory here so cut me some slack.

First remove the door top trim being careful to disconnect the power feed for the led lights.

Then remove the lower furry parcel box Phillips screws.

The door handle is attached by hex head screws (3), and a Phillips head on the inside of the panel (why you need to pull the panel). The door opening lever hooks in, you will see.

The tweeter plugs in down below so watch for that.

If you have the hi-fi speakers you will need to remove the speaker box as well. Watch for connection plugs.

Now pull the panel from behind w/ a putty knife or the proper plastic tool if you have one.

Once you get the panel off check to see if yours is autographed on the inside by the builder. Mine was.

Drink beer when done.

EZ

Regards,

Old 05-10-2014, 11:34 PM
Christian J
Racer

I removed the door panel last year and it's pretty simple. Pull the interior handle open slightly and use some needle nose pliers to hold then lift & disconnect the curved metal rod that hooks into the back of your existing handle. Unscrew and remove the door pocket.Unbolt / unscrew the door panel and armrest to lift them off the door together. There's a bolt (maybe 2?) on the back side of the armrest to remove it from the panel. Take a look at your door insulation and vapor barrier, while you're in there...try not to change the length of the door pull rod and definitely don't lose the little plastic bushing that holds the rod into the door mechanism. With the armrest on a bench you should be able to remove the pin the holds the handle in place.
Maybe the pin is accessible and you can do this without removing the door panel???
Old 05-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Christian J
Racer

Correction: have beer first then read the murky directions that Al and I have posted then head out to the garage.
I'm pretty sure that you don't have to remove the door top trim.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:50 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

lol thanks guys! Thanks Al!

Have a few other odds n ends to do at the same time as well. Thanks again
Old 05-11-2014, 12:50 AM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian J
I removed the door panel last year and it's pretty simple. Pull the interior handle open slightly and use some needle nose pliers to hold then lift & disconnect the curved metal rod that hooks into the back of your existing handle. Unscrew and remove the door pocket.Unbolt / unscrew the door panel and armrest to lift them off the door together. There's a bolt (maybe 2?) on the back side of the armrest to remove it from the panel. Take a look at your door insulation and vapor barrier, while you're in there...try not to change the length of the door pull rod and definitely don't lose the little plastic bushing that holds the rod into the door mechanism. With the armrest on a bench you should be able to remove the pin the holds the handle in place. Maybe the pin is accessible and you can do this without removing the door panel???
Yes, you should be able to take the lower door pocket off and then pull the metal pin from the bottom. I don't think you need to take the handle or the full panel off if I recall.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:03 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

Yes, easy job, as above, only lower door panel. Page 57-3 in the Bentley Service Manual - well worth the investment.

Did you buy the Rennline Ali' solid or with holes?
Old 05-11-2014, 01:50 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

How to remove the door panel on a 993
Check out the website for photos: http://p-car.com/diy/ard/

The pictures and the procedure of this DIY is based on the 993 door panel with the factory 10 speaker hi-fi option, there maybe some minor difference in procedures to take off the door panels of a none 10 speaker hi-fi optioned 993.

(1). Use a philips screw driver to remove the door panel screw around the bottom and the side of the door panel, and remove the screw inside of the door pocket. The below pictures will show the approximate location of these screws.

(2). Once you have removed all the screws the bottom portion (speaker panel) of the door panel should pop right off easily. If it doesn't come off do not force it off, check for additional screws. Once the internal speaker box is exposed you can unscrew the screws that hold the speaker box to the door.

(3). Pull the speaker box forward and disconnect the connection to the back of the speaker box.

(4). Pull on the door handle and pop the door handle hinge up to release the door handle.

(5). Unbolt the three 5 mm (I think that is the right size) allen bolts on the door handle

(6). Now the door panel is ready to be pop out. There are two strategic spots where you would apply the pulling force to remove the panels, and that is on the either side of the panel. The below picture shows you where the plastic pop rivet is located at on the door panel.

(7). You will have to unplug the windows switch from it's wiring harness when you remove the door panel at the same time. When re-installing the panel you can install the panel first and plug in the windows switch later.

Last edited by FlatSix911; 05-11-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:51 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Kevin

Please consult with me before you modify my future car! I give you permission to do the handles.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:38 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Originally Posted by Spokes
Did you buy the Rennline Ali' solid or with holes?
got the aluminum ones without the holes

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Kevin

Please consult with me before you modify my future car! I give you permission to do the handles.
lol Mark your best time to buy from me at rock bottom lowest price is during or immediately before an oil change

and you're going to love the new tires, black wevo mounts and new tranny mount!

thanks guys for all the help here looks like this will be easy.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:50 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
got the aluminum ones without the holes

lol Mark your best time to buy from me at rock bottom lowest price is during or immediately before an oil change

and you're going to love the new tires, black wevo mounts and new tranny mount!

thanks guys for all the help here looks like this will be easy.
Did you want instructions for how to change a tire too rookie?

And your ability to bitch about oil changes has been revoked sir. That last one was cake, we didn't spill anything.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:08 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Kevin,

Are you joining us on Sunday May 18th for a Bear Mountain Seven Lakes Drive (Drive)?

I am getting tired of all this house stuff (selling, building etc.) and need to blow off some energy. No need to have a Turbo when the stress level is high enough to push the go pedal to the floor.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
No need to have a Turbo when the stress level is high enough to push the go pedal to the floor.
lol, disagree

you guys have fun on the 18th
Old 05-11-2014, 09:00 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
lol, disagree

you guys have fun on the 18th

You are not joining us?
Old 05-11-2014, 10:10 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
That last one was cake, we didn't spill anything.
still an unnecessary PITA as is almost every other routine job

Mark i think i may have to work on the 18th, so i prob wont be able to make the drive.

will report back here with pix of the new door handles, i know you guys will be on the edges of your seats

Quick Reply: Interior door handle removal and replacement