993 Forum 1995-1998

Low mile cab value

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 01:15 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Low mile cab value

I haven't been keeping up with 993 prices too much over the last year (other than knowing they have gone up). I have a friend who is thinking of selling his low mile cab.

1997, white w/ blue top, tan interior, 6-speed, 26k miles, totally stock and unmolested car as far as I know (except it has HRE wheels I think). For those of you who might know who's car this is, don't say anything here please.

Based on what I've seen in a quick search it seems that this car should sell for $45k all day long and if he found the right buyer it could go close to $50k. Thoughts on value?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2014, 01:24 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I'd say closer to $45K rather than $50K, as white, blue top and tan interior is not a usually a top choice color combo, and bone stock = needs new suspension.

With prices rising every month, who knows, this thing could fetch more than $50K by years end
Old 04-25-2014, 01:37 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The midwest dealer where I purchased my Cab had a total of five (5) low or lower mileage Cabs in stock. Black, red, midnight blue, oak green and my yellow Cab. All with mileage from 20,000-50,000 miles. IIRC, they were all roughly mid-$40K's (+/- $2,500).
Old 04-25-2014, 01:41 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 362 Posts

I would guess it would sell closer to $40k than $45k.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:51 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

The seller is just fishing with this one at $65K, but similar mileage. However, I think it's a better color combo than your friend's Cab:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4423131774.html
Old 04-25-2014, 02:07 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
and bone stock = needs new suspension
Goofball - I normally would agree with you on this and think the market would prefer a car with the suspension sorted; however, with this car being so low in miles I was thinking the stock suspension held its value just as much if not more to many buyers. Not sure though, guess it depends on the buyer. The guy that wants the suspension sorted will probably be wanting a driver and accept higher miles. Either, way thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:59 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Goofball - I was thinking the stock suspension held its value just as much if not more to many buyers.
Sorry, and no disrespect intended, but I would think otherwise.

Low miles or not, the stock suspension on these cars was not great to begin with, as they came with mediocre Monroe dampers. And even after only 26K miles, they're probably well past their best days and more than likely due to be replaced.

These days, there are FAR better options than the stock Monroes on this car. No matter who buys the car, they will need to replace the suspension if they want the car to ride and handle as originally intended.

To buy, say, PSS-10s, and then pay to install is probably $3500 at least right there.

Also, any newly bought 17 year old car is going to need SOMETHING, almost always. Count on some money there too.

Finally, the downside to a low mile car is the possibility of not have been driven for long periods of time. Seals can dry out, etc. Not saying this car has, but just that low mile doesn't always mean it's perfect.

Add to the fact that the color combo might not be to everyone's taste, and I think if someone offered your friend $45K, he should take the money and run
Old 04-25-2014, 03:01 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Last edited by goofballdeluxe; 04-25-2014 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 04-25-2014, 03:20 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Personally, I bought my '95 Cab with 29,000 miles, and think the suspension handles and rides very well. Bob at RMG in Sunnyvale, went through my car post-purchase, and I spent handsomely on a littany of maintenance needs and "while you're in there" stuff, but they felt my 29K mile suspension was good-to-go as is.

Down the road I'll probably go the upgrade route (PSS10, Golden Rod, etc.), but right now, I'm enjoying it immensely.

Having said all that, yes, $45K should make the owner happy.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:17 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RodKnock
Personally, I bought my '95 Cab with 29,000 miles, and think the suspension handles and rides very well.
Thing is, many owners say that with a stock suspension, which makes perfect sense. Because they have nothing to compare it to.

Could be better than the car they came from.

Could be better than the wife's car.

Then, they drive a 993 with a fully sorted upgraded new suspension and alignment. Then, and only then, do they realize how much better a new suspension is than a stock one, and how lacking the stock suspension is in comparison.

Almost all here will agree that a new suspension is the single best, and most transforming, upgrade one can make on a 993
Old 04-25-2014, 04:20 PM
Tom 328
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
Based on what I've seen in a quick search it seems that this car should sell for $45k all day long and if he found the right buyer it could go close to $50k.
Sounds spot on to me. I'd say the low end for any 6spd 993 w/ 26k (regardless of color, body style, etc) is closer to $50k right now.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:42 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Thing is, many owners say that with a stock suspension, which makes perfect sense. Because they have nothing to compare it to.

Could be better than the car they came from.

Could be better than the wife's car.

Then, they drive a 993 with a fully sorted upgraded new suspension and alignment. Then, and only then, do they realize how much better a new suspension is than a stock one, and how lacking the stock suspension is in comparison.

Almost all here will agree that a new suspension is the single best, and most transforming, upgrade one can make on a 993
I'll buy the company line re: suspension upgrade if and when I get a new suspension. Also, I have and have had plenty to compare and contrast to/with. IMO, my suspension is more than adequate for my needs and is not past it's best days.

If the buyer of this Cab chooses to purchase a new suspension, then the car is that much better for having it.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:14 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Yes, to each his own.

But to the point of this thread, which is assessing value, most with a knowledge of 993s will, usually correctly, look at a 17 year old stock suspension as a negative, not a positive, and adjust their opinion of it's worth accordingly.

In my personal opinion, I would take away some value of this particular 993, comparable to another similar 993 with the same mileage, due to the fact that the color combo is not a top choice for most, and the fact that it has a very old stock suspension.

I still say if the seller was able to get $45K for this car, it would be a good sale

I also agree that if the seller was lucky enough to find that rare bird who has a hard-on for white cars with tan interiors, blue tops and old stock suspensions, he might eke out $50K
Old 04-25-2014, 05:32 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

I also agree that if the seller was lucky enough to find that rare bird who has a hard-on for white cars with tan interiors, blue tops and old stock suspensions, he might eke out $50K
The original suspension likely won't be the culprit holding this car back from getting top dollar. I agree with you that the bigger "issue(s)" may be the white/tan/blue color combo and the potential repairs that may or may not be uncovered via the PPI.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:39 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

I should also point out that I do realize that a Speed Yellow/Black/Black Cab may not be high on everyone's list of favorite color combo's either.

But if a nice TB, RB or even an Amethyst Cab becomes available, then I may buy one of them too.

Quick Reply: Low mile cab value