Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Help me decide on upgrade (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/811617-help-me-decide-on-upgrade.html)

KMASS993 04-22-2014 03:07 PM

Help me decide on upgrade

Thinking of a new upgrade for the spring. My car is black/black C2. I have about $1k to spend and I am thinking of the following:

1) Red seat belts - not completely cosmetic, my current belt on the drivers side jams all the time.

2) Fister golden rod and SSK

3) Carbon interior - would most likely be center console switches, perhaps side panels, but not full kit

4) New seats - I have a set of 997 Cayman seats with about 3k miles (look brand new). These plus the $1k could get me a nice pair of standard leather seats or perhaps some softback sport seats in need of TLC.

5) "Carrera" sills - Currently have techart "911" sills. not in bad shape but not in the best overall.

6) Other suggestions?

TMc993 04-22-2014 03:17 PM

I'd be repairing/replacing the seatbelt before I did anything else. I'm not feeling the red, but that's just me. Bottom line is which flips your switch more, form or function? Looks like you have a sampling of both in your list.

405 04-22-2014 03:23 PM

I would do golden rod and RS motor mounts depending on your mileage.

KMASS993 04-22-2014 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by 405 (Post 11312366)
I would do golden rod and RS motor mounts depending on your mileage.

67k miles... RS motor mounts are done already.

six gun 04-22-2014 03:38 PM

On my blk/blk 97, SS instrument trim rings offer a nice contrast.

asofine 04-22-2014 03:42 PM

I have all of the mods you've listed with the exception of red seat belts. If I could keep only 1 item on the list, it would be the GR/SSK or potentially the seats. My comments below

1) Red seat belts:
These don't do anything for me.

2) Fister golden rod and SSK:
This completely changes the driving experience. I found the stock components to be maddeningly imprecise when it came to shifting feel. I absolutely love the GR & SSK.

3) Carbon interior:
These are a nice touch but nothing more. Depending on the state of your interior (e.g. if your leather is faded), the juxtaposition of "like new" carbon and an otherwise age-appropriate interior could look awkward. Just my $0.02.

4) New seats:
Seats are important. I'm glad I have HB sport seats but I still tinker with the idea of swapping them out for a more comfortable set (softback sport seats?). Again, to me it would be a tossup between seats and the GR/SSK.

5) "Carrera" sills:
These look nice. I wouldn't be too upset to get rid of them though.

NYC993 04-22-2014 03:49 PM

Im putting in golden rod hopefully this weekend. From what I heard it makes a big difference and easy to install. The SSK doesn't make as much dif and is a bit of pain to install.

I'd fix seat belt as that would bug me.

Some small things on my list are A/C and oil cooler fan resistors (they are often dead), airbag frame to fix the horn from going off under hard braking. Then new bushings at some point.

KMASS993 04-22-2014 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by NYC993 (Post 11312438)
Im putting in golden rod hopefully this weekend. From what I heard it makes a big difference and easy to install. The SSK doesn't make as much dif and is a bit of pain to install.

I'd fix seat belt as that would bug me.

Some small things on my list are A/C and oil cooler fan resistors (they are often dead), airbag frame to fix the horn from going off under hard braking. Then new bushings at some point.

Curious to hear thoughts on the goldenrod alone or someone that has started with a goldenrod and gone to a SSK

NYC993 04-22-2014 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kmassed002 (Post 11312457)
Curious to hear thoughts on the goldenrod alone or someone that has started with a goldenrod and gone to a SSK

I've driven identical car to mine with GR and SSK and was impressed with shifting precision. I will let you know how GR only feels once I install it.

pirahna 04-22-2014 04:08 PM

GR and SSK are next on my upgrade list after new wheels. If I were you I would get the seat belt working correctly first.

KMASS993 04-22-2014 04:14 PM

Yeah - Seatbelt is on my list, if not new then a second hand one. I know its not everyone's taste but for some reason I've always like the deviated coloring (not just red), especially because my car is black on black and it gets boring.

NYC993 04-22-2014 05:35 PM

How about getting the steering wheel re-covered. Search thread "this just came from dallas"... can add red stitching to match red seat belt.

996scott 04-22-2014 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by NYC993 (Post 11312484)
I've driven identical car to mine with GR and SSK and was impressed with shifting precision. I will let you know how GR only feels once I install it.

please do, as this is on my list of summer projects

KMASS993 04-22-2014 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by NYC993 (Post 11312814)
How about getting the steering wheel re-covered. Search thread "this just came from dallas"... can add red stitching to match red seat belt.

I was going to go through this but with the rest of the interior. I stopped as it was just a daunting task. Right now I have a carbon 4-spoke that I bought new, so leather is pretty nice in general.

Kika 04-22-2014 10:09 PM

Fix anything that is broken, so if that is belts, yes. Personally, I do like the red belts.

I have the GR without the SSK, love it. 911s have never been fast shifters to me, I grew up with the 915, so the G50 is heaven.

Not a fan of carbon or sills. Carbon doesn't look right on the interior of a 993 to me.

Other ideas are motor mounts, HIDs. a set of Row Turbo ARBs will be much less than $1k and are a very nice suspension upgrade.