installed 997 seats in the 993

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 12:34 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by esses
Hi Rob,
How did you wire the driver's seat for power and heat?

Scott
Yes, I am curious about the heat connection and switches as well.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:35 PM
GC96
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
There's a write up on Pelican Parts about modifying the memory control module.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._997_seats.htm

I installed a Cayman/997 manual sport seat in my car and I used the diagram below to wire up the seat back control and the seat heaters. Essentially the modification done above is replicating the diagram below of a power seat without the memory feature.

http://www.justanswer.com/car/2f6eh-...at-module.html

Another option you could look into if you don't want to take apart the existing switch assembly might be to look for the switch assembly for a power seat without memory. I suspect that it would fit on the side panel fine, but I don't know if the connectors to the motor harnesses within the seat itself would be the same.

In case it helps, here is how I did the heated seat wiring when I put in the manual 997 seats. Please note that I call out some specific wire colors and terminal locations in my write up, these were correct for my '96 car and pre- 2007 seats. You should check the applicable diagrams for you specific car year and seat to make sure they apply. I used the diagram from the above link and double checked it with some continuity tests. I re-used the control module and switch from my stock 993 seats. I checked the resistance of the 997 heater pads (terminals A8 and A13 on the 997 connector) and it was within the spec called out in manual for the 993 heater pads. The 993 seat heater switch is soldered into the harness so you will have to take apart the main 8 pin connector and the 6 pin relay connector and then pull all heater wiring out the side of the seat. Once you put the 6 pin relay connector back together, there will be two power wires in the harness (brown, and black/red) that go to the main 8 pin seat connector from the car. The remaining two wires (brown and black) go to the heater elements (A8 and A13) on the 997 seat connector. I mounted the relay on the driver's side seat directly to the seat pan using one of the existing holes. I got a bit lucky in that the original owner of the seats must have had a fire extinguisher mount on the driver's seat at some point because the threaded reinforcement plate was there so I had something to bolt into. On the passenger seat I removed the airbag control module from under the seat and used its' mounting bracket to hold the heater relay. I couldn't find a good place on the side plate of the seats to mount the switch so I extended the three wires that go it it and mounted it in the center console, each on either side of the e-brake handle. Hope that helps.

GC
Old 03-23-2014, 07:58 PM
esses
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
Hey Darin,
How is my Stage II coming along

Scott
Old 03-24-2014, 12:15 AM
WBYonder
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by esses
Hi Rob,
How did you wire the driver's seat for power and heat?

Scott
I did this about a year and a half ago, so I will give the overview as I remember it and will go back and check if there was anything I forgot.

The first thing I did was to get the wiring diagrams for a 2006 997 seat ( I believe I found these online. If I recall, I found them on the "Planet 9" website). By applying power to the the seats (figured out where from the diagrams) I figured that I wouldn't be able to use the controller switch on the driver's side seat, but the passenger seat didn't require any modification to be operable. I then ordered a controller switch for the drivers' seat that was for a "non-memory" module (I think this was a little less than $300, but by then I was pretty much all-in). As I recall, I had to do a little rewiring on the new switch, since I didn't have the connector for it. To do the rewiring, I just used the wiring diagram to make the proper connections. I then connected it to the power that was existing for the stock seats.

For the seat heat, the heater elements were already in the seats, so I consulted the wiring diagrams to figure out which wires to connect to get power to them. I ordered a couple of seat heating kits (from an online vendor, for about $40 apeice) to add seat heat to any car and just used the wiring harness (which included a relay and switch) to hook up power to each seat ( the heaters came with the kits too, and I plan to use these to add seat heat to my P/U). The switches were round, three position switches (off, low, hi). I drilled holes in the center console, a little bit behind the parking brake lever, to insert the switches into. Power to the seat heat came from the purple wire, which was a switched power connection, so the battery doesn't get run down if one leaves a seat heat switch in the on position.

This was a quick and dirty description telling you how I did it. I will do my best to answer any questions on specifics that you have.
The following users liked this post:
flyweight (02-05-2023)
Old 03-24-2014, 12:22 AM
WBYonder
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts

It is really nice having the power movement and lumbar support, but my recommendation to anyone trying to do this is that you would probably be money ahead if you started with manual seats (or at least non-memory seats). Of course, I couldn't resist the great deal I got on a pair of gorgeous lightly-used seats, so I made do.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:54 PM
esses
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

something I'll try this weekend.

Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2018, 09:02 PM
gtc
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bumping this thread as I'm working on installing some 997 seats in my '84 911.

Question for those that have dealt with the 997 memory modules:
Since the "memory" seats get power for the seat motors through the memory module, will simply providing power to this module allow seat adjustment? Or does the module require the other connections (canbus, etc) in order move the seat?

Also, has anyone found a source for plugs that mate to the yellow connectors? If not, my plan is to source a section of harness with this plug from a dismantler, and splice in to that.
The following users liked this post:
flyweight (02-05-2023)
Old 11-15-2018, 04:58 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ard
nice - glad to see I am not the only one who still has the cassette storage tray in the center console
Cassette? What's that?
Old 02-05-2023, 12:07 PM
flyweight
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gtc
Bumping this thread as I'm working on installing some 997 seats in my '84 911.

Question for those that have dealt with the 997 memory modules:
Since the "memory" seats get power for the seat motors through the memory module, will simply providing power to this module allow seat adjustment? Or does the module require the other connections (canbus, etc) in order move the seat?
Wonder if you got answers to this question. I'm looking at retrofitting 997 seats (heating+memory) to my 993. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:44 PM
gtc
Track Day

I couldn't find any solutions that didn't require modifying or swapping out seat wiring (as summarized above by others), so i abandoned this project and sold the seats. The non-memory seats are a simple install.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:52 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 483 Posts

So, memory seats should work just like non memory. Find the wiring pin out for the seats and you're good to go. The stock harness on your 993 has switched and constant power. Shouldn't be a problem.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:20 PM
gtc
Track Day

That is not what i found.
I supplied power to the memory seat and was not able to get the seat to move. The switch wiring appears to go through the memory box before going out to the motors, so i assumed that the memory box needed some additional input from the seat control unit located in the 997 dash.

Originally Posted by 71-3.0-911
So, memory seats should work just like non memory. Find the wiring pin out for the seats and you're good to go. The stock harness on your 993 has switched and constant power. Shouldn't be a problem.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:51 PM
flyweight
Instructor

Originally Posted by gtc
That is not what i found.
I supplied power to the memory seat and was not able to get the seat to move. The switch wiring appears to go through the memory box before going out to the motors, so i assumed that the memory box needed some additional input from the seat control unit located in the 997 dash.
​​​​​+1 to @gtc. By default, the memory module (Part# 997.618.537.06) under the 997 driver seat will NOT supply power to the Seat Adjuster Switch with Memory (Part# 997.613.72101V05), the part containing both a circuit board and the three seat/lumbar switches).

In order to enable those 18-way switches and the lumbar switch for the driver seat, the steps to follow are at https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart..._997_seats.htm. An alternate approach is to purchase a Seat Adjuster Switch withOUT memory (Part # 997.613.71702V05) for the driver side to match the corresponding part (Part # 997.613.71802V05) of the 997 passenger seat. The second approach is more expensive (~$600) but allows you to avoid the circuit board soldering steps in the above DIY doc.

In order to enable heated seat, follow this very thread! - https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...nto-993-a.html.

These links gave me enough confidence to purchase a pair of nice 997 comfort seats locally today. Will post my progress in this project later.

Last edited by flyweight; 02-05-2023 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:36 PM
gtc
Track Day

I will be curious to see how it goes for you. When i was looking in to it, it appeared that a lot of the internal wiring parts were different. Please share pics if you are successful!
Old 02-06-2023, 08:17 PM
flyweight
Instructor

Originally Posted by gtc
I will be curious to see how it goes for you. When i was looking in to it, it appeared that a lot of the internal wiring parts were different. Please share pics if you are successful!
Will do. BTW, when you say "internal wiring parts" being different, were you referring to the circuit board wiring as shown on Figure 2 at https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...997_seats.htm? Or something else?

Quick Reply: installed 997 seats in the 993