Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: What's up with Legends of the Autobahn this year??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 12:43 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OT: What's up with Legends of the Autobahn this year??

I was reading my latest issue of Rondel (the BMW CCA monthly magazine) and came across an article by the BMW clubs Executive VP (last article before classified section) that basically made the PCA sound like a bunch of ****** who completely screwed over Audi, BMW, & Mercedes car clubs with respect to the annual Legends of the Autobahn car show held each August in Carmel during The Historics / car week.

As an owner/member of BMWCCA, PCA & Benz club, I'm a little bummed that all four German brands (Audi ,too) won't all be in the same location.

The Legends event, with the whole mix of sweet German cars and cold, flowing Spaten beer is a highlight of my trip up to Carmel each August. Did the PCA f*ck it up? Who know's more about Porsche pulling out of the event than me? (I know nothing) What was their thinking / motive?
Old 03-21-2014, 12:59 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 405 Posts

From an email from PCA last year.

PCA National Press Release

December 27, 2013

Werks Reunion—A Porsche Gathering coming to Carmel Valley, California in August 2014

The Porsche Club of America is set to begin a new tradition in 2014 with the inaugural Werks Reunion. The new, premier Porsche event will take place on Friday, August 15, during the world-famous “Car Week” on California’s Monterey Peninsula.

In years past, PCA co-hosted Legends of the Autobahn at the Rancho Cañada Golf Club. For 2014, the club will host a dedicated event to celebrate Porsche automobiles on the very same fairways. Expect a breathtaking array of Porsches, from rare classics to customs, race cars, current models, and everything in between. PCA will host the event with participation from Porsche Cars North America. National PCA Sponsors will also be present with exhibits and displays.

Werks Reunion is open to all and tagged as “A Porsche Gathering” for a reason: PCA is inviting other Porsche clubs to join in the fun! Werks Reunion is intended to be a new way for all Porsche owners to mingle during Monterey’s annual auto extravaganza. As a result, the Porsche Owners Club, Porsche Racing Club, 356 Registry, 356 Club, Early 911S Registry, R Gruppe, 914 World, and all Porsche clubs and registries are welcome. Membership in PCA is not required.

Porsche owners looking to compete will have the choice of entering their cars in either the people's choice or concours categories. Special, one-of-a-kind trophies are being made just for this event. Other Porsche owners will have the opportunity to include their car in the display only Porsche corral. All will be treated to a stunning display of more than 500 Porsches, access vendors, and enjoy the camaraderie of fellow car enthusiasts. The 2014 show will feature the latest Porsches, special vehicle presentations, celebrity guests, and a surprise or two.

About Porsche Club of America: With over 110,000 members, PCA is the largest single-marque car club in the world. We know the unbridled joy that a Porsche can provide, and have built a community around that very feeling. PCA offers driving experiences, technical assistance, and camaraderie that are second to none. For more information, log onto www.pca.org.

PDF download of this release:
Attachment:WerksreunionPressreleasefinal.pdf

This email was sent by Vu Nguyen and the National Porsche Club of America, Inc. © Copyright 2013 Porsche Club of America Inc. All rights reserved.
You may opt-out of receiving emails from PCA National by updating your PCA membership record at our web site. Read the PCA privacy policy.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:14 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Couldn't Porsche have the special cars, special guests, and "surprises" at the event with the other marques?

I'm just a little bummed that I now have to basically choose one event or the other this year. There is plenty of fairway space at La Canada golf course for lots more cars. Just push the corral parking further down the hill. BMW has had factory cars there in the past, Audi had some rare quattros there, as well.

I think Porsche could have just added massively to an already great event instead of breaking off on their own,....whatever, I guess I'll see what it's like when I get there.

They better have a beer sponsor
Old 03-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

I suspect it is about control, PCA and PCNA didn't have it, now they do. Herding cats can be a pain.

After Rennsport IV I think it became obvious that a single marque show would be possible.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 419 Posts

If I read correctly, both Legends and the new Porsche event will all be at the same venue, but the Porsche show will be a separate and completely independent event from Legends. I don't believe it affects us from an attendee standpoint. Can likely walk to both easily.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:20 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
If I read correctly, both Legends and the new Porsche event will all be at the same venue, but the Porsche show will be a separate and completely independent event from Legends. I don't believe it affects us from an attendee standpoint. Can likely walk to both easily.
That was my understanding as well.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:41 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

The article in Rondel states that Porsche is on their own in same location, everybody else is at a different location closer to Laguna Seca. Some mention of being able to hear the vintage cars racing while you attend the Legends event is made.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:50 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
I suspect it is about control, PCA and PCNA didn't have it, now they do. Herding cats can be a pain.

After Rennsport IV I think it became obvious that a single marque show would be possible.
That is the reason I heard at The Escape.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't believe everything you read. Even for a fictional article, it was poorly written.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Kein Wasser
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche welcome at Legends of the Autobahn / facts

Legends of the Autobahn in 2014 has moved and the event organizers are extending an open invitation to all Porsche owners to attend this years event.

The 2014 Legends of the Autobahn will be held on Friday, August 15th. This year the event will take place at the prestigious Nicklaus Club-Monterey in Monterey, California. The new venue (formerly known as Pasadera) will provide the growing event the much-needed room to expand.

LOTA has included an Open Class in which owners of any German car marque can enter without any club affiliation. The event organizers are offering this as an option for those German car owners wanting a complete 'Autobahn' experience. Owners of BMW's, Mercedes' and Audi's must register through the respective club portal.

Registrants in the Open Class will be offered the same options as any other club attendee including corral parking, concours participation, food etc. Entrants wishing to have their cars judged can enter the Open Class where all cars in that class will be judged using full concours criteria by a select team of qualified judges. They will be eligible for People's Choice and Best of Show awards. The general corral area is available for those who do not want their car judged.

To register for this event please please go to www.legendsoftheautobahn.org and select the 'registration' tab. There you will find the 'Other German Marques' link. You will be directed to the motorsportreg page to continue your registration.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:03 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts
Default ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The above is not the Porsche event. Sounds like a bit of a play to get P-cars signed up before Werks Reunion registration starts.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:59 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Having a very deep understanding of the event and what took place, I can say this much is for sure, The event was started by the BMW CCA and they invited the other Marque's to join them. All of a sudden, and with no warning, not only was the title of the event hi-jacked, but so was the location the event was at for years prior.

The details are shrouded with secrecy, but only on one side of the fence.

Quick Reply: OT: What's up with Legends of the Autobahn this year??