Recaro Seats Question for 993

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Tony_KB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recaro Seats Question for 993

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about putting in more supportive seats on my 1996 C2 coupe, I use the car on weekends and about 4-5 DE track days a year, my PCA teacher says Pole Position Recaro in cloth is the way to go, however I don't want to turn the car into a dedicated track car, I want to retain it's looks and comfort somewhat.

I saw Recaro makes a leather bolster seat which is called SPORT:

https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us...rt.html#c99896

I thought these seats and a BK Trusses for harness would greatly improve safety and performance without making the car look too racer.

Any Input is appreciated,

Regards,

Tony
Old 03-11-2014, 09:52 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I recommend OEM used 996GT3 Recaro bucket seats. Can be had between $2500-$3K and retains value when you sell.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:01 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

+1

Get the GT3 Recaros in leather if you want OEM look. They are comfortable, not hard to get in and out of, but work great for holding you in place at the track. You can use 3-pt. belts on the street and harness on track.

Prices are climbing... I just bought a set and they are getting harder to come by.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

GT3 Recaros I find visually look to big in the 993 and appears very track oriented, for a similar price point I'd stick with Pole Positions, very period correct too.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Roche993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Recaro cloth Pole Positions and use the BK harness truss for belts. Works perfectly and looks great. With those seats you have linked, you will not lose use of your back seat when the truss is not bolted up but for me that is not an issue. My only nit pick is that the Pole Positions just look perfect in our interior. Like they were made for the 993. Not sure I am totally feeling it with those sport seats-although they are nice and this is only my opinion. Just a word of advice which has been mentioned here before and was definately an issue with me, Recaro shoulder belt holes are made for people on the shorter side. I am only 5'10" and had to modify my seats so the shoulder belts would work properly with the BK harness truss. Not sure if the same will apply for those Sport seats and also not sure if there is a way to "modify" them if this problem occurs. I would sit in one first to be sure that the shoulder belt holes are not too low for you. Hope this helps
Old 03-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Gerry Kokoszka
Rennlist Member

I have a set of SPG's and love them. To me cloth is more comfortable than leather. I admit they are a bit of a challenge getting in and out but hold you like nothing else. They are surprisingly comfortable even for a long drive. See if you can find somebody that has a set of seats you are considerig and ask to sit in them or find a vendor that has seats on display.

Good luck in your search
Gerry
Old 03-11-2014, 04:19 PM
Tony_KB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gerry Kokoszka
I have a set of SPG's and love them. To me cloth is more comfortable than leather. I admit they are a bit of a challenge getting in and out but hold you like nothing else. They are surprisingly comfortable even for a long drive. See if you can find somebody that has a set of seats you are considerig and ask to sit in them or find a vendor that has seats on display.

Good luck in your search
Gerry
Thanks ! what brand are SPG ? , by the way your car looks amazing, been thinking of the RS aero kit ...

Regards
Old 03-11-2014, 04:50 PM
Tony_KB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Roche993
I have the Recaro cloth Pole Positions and use the BK harness truss for belts. Works perfectly and looks great. With those seats you have linked, you will not lose use of your back seat when the truss is not bolted up but for me that is not an issue. My only nit pick is that the Pole Positions just look perfect in our interior. Like they were made for the 993. Not sure I am totally feeling it with those sport seats-although they are nice and this is only my opinion. Just a word of advice which has been mentioned here before and was definately an issue with me, Recaro shoulder belt holes are made for people on the shorter side. I am only 5'10" and had to modify my seats so the shoulder belts would work properly with the BK harness truss. Not sure if the same will apply for those Sport seats and also not sure if there is a way to "modify" them if this problem occurs. I would sit in one first to be sure that the shoulder belt holes are not too low for you. Hope this helps
How much did you have to modify the seat up ? I am 2" shorter than you so that might work for me... do you have any pics of the Pole Positions in your car ?
Old 03-11-2014, 05:16 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 149 Likes on 95 Posts

I wouldn't go with the seats in the link you posted. I have sat in those and for track use, they won't be that great. The Pole Positions in cloth or leather look great in a 993, and are comfortable even for street driving. The only downside is that they don't recline.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,014 Likes on 380 Posts

Based on your requirements, go with 997 sport seats. They are more supportive than 996 sport seats and can be had for the same or less. They look and feel better. I have tried both.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Recaro Pole Position seats in one of my 993s
Attached Images  

Last edited by Doc V.; 03-11-2014 at 06:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SGOGT4 (01-29-2024)
Old 03-11-2014, 05:56 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Based on your requirements, go with 997 sport seats. They are more supportive than 996 sport seats and can be had for the same or less. They look and feel better. I have tried both.

Nice! Are they a straight bolt in? Are they electric or mechanic? How much does each weigh?

Marc
Old 03-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Roche993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony_KB
How much did you have to modify the seat up ? I am 2" shorter than you so that might work for me... do you have any pics of the Pole Positions in your car ?
It took quite a bit of work to modify but was very inexpensive. I bought 4 sets of Sparco seat hole frames from Mark (above) at $6 each, took the cloth liner of the PPs, traced and cut. They snap right in with little modification and allow the belt to come straight through the shoulder holes over my hans and down. Before enlarging the holes, the belts would head downward from the BK truss, through the seat holes, then up over my shoulders and back down to the latch. It made my shoulders very sore after a 30 minute run and left bruises after a long weekend. Now they come straight from the BK truss, almost level to my shoulders and down to the latch. Much more comfy and probably a lot more safe. They look great and if you did not know it was done, you would never even think about it.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Tony_KB
Advanced

Anyone have experience with Cobra Misano seats?
Old 03-11-2014, 10:09 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 149 Likes on 95 Posts

The Cobra Misanos are nice seats. Carbon backs. But the ones I have seen did not have the cut out for the anti-sub belt. I still think the Pole Positions in addition to being the best of both worlds, also look right at home in all 911's from 78-98.

Quick Reply: Recaro Seats Question for 993