993 Forum 1995-1998

REPLACE THESE BUSHINGS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 03:54 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question REPLACE THESE BUSHINGS?

I have the front A-arms out... I was going to replace bushings while having some work done and putting on PSS10's.

I am looking at the factory bushings and they seem fine (62k miles), not deteriorated in any way that I can tell, no cracking, feel very tight, etc. If the number 95 represents a manufacture date, they look to be original (1995).

I had planned to have new Elephant Sport bushings pressed in, but not sure I need to? Have decided against the Walrods after much research and my plans to replace the rear bushes with similar material (RS) at a later date, that said car is 90% street.

Also, both ball joints are very tight and the boots are not split, etc. I had planed to replace these too.

It it overkill to replace all this? I am considering just cleaning these up and putting back on with the new shocks, but don't want to have to deal with the front end again in the future since it is all out.

I may just go for it now regardless, but wanted to hear opinions.

Thanks!
Attached Images      
Old 03-05-2014, 04:00 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What made u decided against front end walrod bushings?
Yes, replace them. No question.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:14 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
What made u decided against front end walrod bushings?
Yes, replace them. No question.
Thanks for that... +1 for replace

Knew that question would come up!

I have read many posts and I have nothing against the Walrods... that said, I value Bill V's suspension advice on other threads and in my mind, if I am going to replace the rear bushings at some point, I feel the front should be of similar material. Maybe that is a conceptual issue, but it seems odd to mix materials. If Walrod's had some rear options I might consider that route.

Also with all costs totaled, it is maybe $150-200 difference between them when said and done (having the work done, removed/pressed). So at that point, considering all other costs going into this, not that much difference.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:29 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

I would replace the bushings...had Walrods and had no issues at all...when I went with a full OEM RS suspension used new A arms with RS rubber.

By ball joint do you mean the spherical bearing in your last picture? Last time I checked you cannot replace those...you have to get a new arm.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:34 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I'd also recommend replacing all bushings that are so easy to replace while parts of the car are apart, even if they look fine. Easy to do, and not expensive to boot
Old 03-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Way past "sell by" date. Those that say their original bushings are fine, don't really know.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:40 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol goofball said "easy", that's relative

Sorry for the drift...
Is there definitive info saying it's not a good idea to have poly bushings up front and different material in the back?

Prob 90% of us w walrods have rubber in the back currently....
Old 03-05-2014, 04:53 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksparrow
!
Is it just me or is there not a pretty obvious crack in your 3rd pic

Old 03-05-2014, 04:53 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

As stated above, do it while you have them out. Walrods are a sound and very economical choice. Cheap insurance for years of maintenance free integrity of your front end alignment. You can actually buy the ball joint ends and replace if necessary.
Name:  imagesXS19KOIF.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  4.0 KB
Old 03-05-2014, 04:56 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

On these original rubber bushings, they may look fine on the exterior but be starting to dislodge/separate from the metal sleeves where you can't see it. "Walrods"!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:07 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by il pirata
I would replace the bushings...had Walrods and had no issues at all...when I went with a full OEM RS suspension used new A arms with RS rubber.

By ball joint do you mean the spherical bearing in your last picture? Last time I checked you cannot replace those...you have to get a new arm.
So you run the Walrods up front with the RS factory arms in the rear and feel that give you something over the harder rubber material? Is that based on the front end having more movement due to steering, etc, or?

My thought was staying with the same material in front which seems to perform well given the RS application, plus having the option to buy bushings that matched in the rear, instead of whole arms was a nice option.

Yes, I thought it was a ball joint on the front arm that was replaceable... sorry for the wrong terminology. Is it not replaceable without the entire front arm?! Feel like I have seen it done here and it looks like I would just unbolt it?

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I'd also recommend replacing all bushings that are so easy to replace while parts of the car are apart, even if they look fine. Easy to do, and not expensive to boot
Whats up Goofball

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Way past "sell by" date. Those that say their original bushings are fine, don't really know.
My thought too... they just look OK, relative to some of the mangled pix I have seen.

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
lol goofball said "easy", that's relative

Sorry for the drift...
Is there definitive info saying it's not a good idea to have poly bushings up front and different material in the back?

Prob 90% of us w walrods have rubber in the back currently....
Nothing definitive, all personal preference from the posts here... dont want to start a war!

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Manufacturing impressions from what I can tell holding it, but no mater... they are out of here!

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
As stated above, do it while you have them out. Walrods are a sound and very economical choice. Cheap insurance for years of maintenance free integrity of your front end alignment. You can actually buy the ball joint ends and replace if necessary.
Attachment 812506
Definitely doing it, just down to choice of material... you guys have me thinking again

And yeah, I thought those could be replaced! They are ball joints right?! At least that is what they are on every other car I have worked on?!?

Thanks all!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:08 PM
Randall921
Instructor

Anyone know where I can get these warlord bushings. I think I saw a thread about them lately...
Old 03-05-2014, 05:19 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Randall921
Anyone know where I can get these warlord bushings. I think I saw a thread about them lately...
FD Mothersports carry them. Ask for Darren or Mack.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:40 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
FD Mothersports carry them. Ask for Darren or Mack.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:14 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

I think I am becoming partial to

Warlord Bushings From FD Mothersports

love autocorrect

Quick Reply: REPLACE THESE BUSHINGS?