Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

seats showcase: Recaro OEM hardback bucket sport shells- RS/ Speedster/ GT1/ GT2, etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:52 PM
xcoldricex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
Hey folks,

So I stumbled upon an odd "pair" of Porsche factory race seats made by Recaro:
dammit I was going to buy these to put in my car. I was a few minutes late :/
Old 09-22-2015, 02:36 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko

Here's a set that is somewhat reasonably priced in the current market: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...-/171938126805
Speaking of current market price, notice the seller's despcription:
"Everything Speedster has tripled in value with no signs of slowing down."
...& they weren't cheap before prices started escalating
Originally Posted by ilko

I have never seen seats in those particular deviated leather colors, at least not the back rest cushions. The top one looks black, and the bottom one too bright?
Slightly different color scheme here, but perhaps 1 thing in common is how ceiling light reflecting off the horizontal leg cushions tends to make them brighter then the upper back (vertical) cushions.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 964 RS Lightweight/Cup and 993 RSR Cup

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
Hey folks,

So I stumbled upon an odd "pair" of Porsche factory race seats made by Recaro:

Both seats and brackets. Seat A on the left. Seat B on the right.

...So what are these seats from? The guy I bought them from had no clue. I think Seat A is from a 964 RS Cup car like this one:
After spending quite a bit of time in the pits at RRV investigating racing seat options, I've come to identify the two seats that I have:

Seat A (with the December 1990 date) pictured on the left matched the seats in the 1990 964 RS Lightweight (i.e. "leichtbau") exactly. I still believe these seats can be foudn in 964 RS Cup cars too based on website resources.

Seat B (with the December 1995 date) pictured on the right matched a seats in several of the 1995 993 RSR Cup cars that we in the pits.

Both factory racing seats, but from slightly different vintages.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:13 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jeremy ^^ Great meeting you & your dad at Rennsport Reunion last month!

Congratulations on selling your seats for your asking price, $6,500.

Sounds like that will help a good cause - a honeymoon in Germany
________________________________________________________________________ ______

A friend in Germany just emailed with the following info:
Asking 9,500 € (~$11,000 USD) for these 964 RS seats, including their mounting equipment.

"Recaro buckets, black & grey leather.
Parts no longer available from Porsche.
Original stickers in place."

No financial affiliation; PM if anyone wants his contact info.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:23 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Data point:
Per Instagram poster, these OEM 964 RS Recaro painted hard-back bucket sports seats sold for $8,000 two weeks ago:

View this post on Instagram
Old 10-30-2015, 11:56 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Recaro Pole Position seats require a special bracket to fit (in a 993) plus if you want them to be "adjustable" rather than fixed they require an additional device (that raises them up a bit?). Correct me if I'm wrong.

But the RS Speedster, 993 RS, GT2 seats above will fit in standard and come adjustable (unless someone removed the adjustability mechanics)- Is that true?

Also, what kind of seats are these highly bolstered ones in a 959?

Old 10-30-2015, 03:05 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by PiB993

The 959 version of the soft back sport seats (like in 964s and early 993s).

Old 11-01-2015, 08:29 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Recaro Pole Position seats require a special bracket to fit (in a 993) plus if you want them to be "adjustable" rather than fixed they require an additional device (that raises them up a bit?). Correct me if I'm wrong.

But the RS Speedster, 993 RS, GT2 seats above will fit in standard and come adjustable (unless someone removed the adjustability mechanics)- Is that true?

The 959 version of the soft back sport seats (like in 964s and early 993s).

Yep. Also came in the late 944, late 928, and 968.

The 959 units have a stitching pattern unique to the 959, which is also present in monotone colored and cloth interiors. Not all 959s had sport seats, mind you. And at least one 959 was delivered with the seats showcased in this thread.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:58 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

But the RS Speedster, 993 RS, GT2 seats above will fit in standard and come adjustable (unless someone removed the adjustability mechanics)- Is that true? ...

All the Recaro shell bucket seats, whether Porsche or Recaro branded, have side plates bolted to a set of sliders under the side plates for seat position adjustment.

Porsche use the manual sliders from the early Porsche 928 for the Recaro shell seats used in the RS type street cars.

These 928 sliders have a lever on one side that is lifted in rotation to unlock and lock the seat like most manual operated seat cars have.

For race use, Porsche use the Recaro slider with a transverse bar mounted across the front of the seat to lock and unlock it as shown below.

By perhaps drilling some holes (depends on application) either slider can be used with any Recaro shell seat.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Northwest European
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are some great pics in this thread. I now have new desires I did not have 10 minutes ago. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2015, 01:18 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

My shoulders are too wide for any of the OEM Recaro seats. After countless hours of searching I found the Sparco EVO2's (older version) fit my body the best. While I am not in love with the seat material I could not be happier with the comfort of the seats. I use to snub the sport shells now I know they are the best option once you find ones that fit you. They totally transformed the driving experience and how connected I feel to the car. Getting in and out is easy once you get use to it.

I plan to have them recovered like this. Not 100% sold on the diamond stitching but I love the leather/alcantera combo.
Attached Images  
Old 11-04-2015, 02:26 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarinS4
My shoulders are too wide for any of the OEM Recaro seats. After countless hours of searching I found the Sparco EVO2's (older version) fit my body the best. While I am not in love with the seat material I could not be happier with the comfort of the seats. I use to snub the sport shells now I know they are the best option once you find ones that fit you. They totally transformed the driving experience and how connected I feel to the car. Getting in and out is easy once you get use to it.

I plan to have them recovered like this. Not 100% sold on the diamond stitching but I love the leather/alcantera combo.
Did you try Recaro Profi XL - much taller and wider than OEM Recaro RS seat and taller than a Pole Position
Old 11-04-2015, 03:57 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Did you try Recaro Profi XL - much taller and wider than OEM Recaro RS seat and taller than a Pole Position
I did try that one. Shoulders were good but too much room in the lower hip portion. I found that to be the case with just about all the Recaros. Once the shoulders fit the hips got to big. Sparco EVO 2's on the other hand fit like a glove.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:55 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks Cupcar for the info on the two different types of sliders.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:46 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Quick Reply: seats showcase: Recaro OEM hardback bucket sport shells- RS/ Speedster/ GT1/ GT2, etc