Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

seats showcase: Recaro OEM hardback bucket sport shells- RS/ Speedster/ GT1/ GT2, etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:25 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These are in my car occasionally, but mostly sit in my closet....Speedster seats, I believe, as they only have five ribs in the shell and they have the trampoline under the bottom cushion.
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2014, 07:22 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993

These are my Speedster seats.
Nice, Noah! The color inserts + white painted backs remind me of RLer CorrdoBrit's.
From the "Show me Your Seats" thread:
Originally Posted by curve lover

Originally advertised by RLer Group911@aol.com (Bob) for $6,500 USD, these picture-perfect seats are some of the most-revered on RL, & for good reason. Featured in RLer dromicnorris (Mark Norris)'s 993, recently brought home to the happy garage of CorrdoBrit. Congratulations!
Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit

Top of the list are the amazing Speedster seats. There's a reason why these attracted so much attention and discussion on the FS thread. To me these are the best seats I've been fortunate to sit in. I drove for 9 hours straight, just stopping once for gas, without a single ache or cramp.

Originally Posted by timothymoffat

I hate this thread.
Mr. Moffat, this ^^ sounds like a recurring issue. Like to process through this with everyone?
Group hug?

This thread will make me cry.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:32 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Yup, very similar. The backs were painted gray some years ago and unfortunately the Recaro date stickers were painted over. They also have the factory aluminum side mounts and (steel) sliders.

Frankly they're problematic seats to have in the car -- passengers don't really like them, and it is very easy to damage the bolsters getting in and out. So you end up saying to your friends, "please be careful of those bolsters," which is pretty lame.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:10 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Makes sense ^^
Bolster practicality may benefit from vertical entry, versus ducking under a roof.
A good excuse to keep her topless...

Old 03-04-2014, 09:11 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 243 Posts

If this thread is to become a resource for future buyers of some very expensive seats, it should be noted that the GenI Recaro A8 seats (as shown above) have serious design flaws with the lower cushion side supports. They break. They always break (unless you don't drive your car)....

Recaro issued the GenII with an improved/simplified bolster design that eliminated the previous issue by deleting the plastic side supports.

Here are some pics of the GenII A8's:

Name:  IMG_1331.jpg
Views: 6071
Size:  2.92 MB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 5469
Size:  1.08 MB
Name:  8.jpg
Views: 5641
Size:  1,020.6 KB
Old 03-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks!

Speaking of lightweight seats, Pole Positions rock. Great value, quality, & looks.

Bob-- You simply making an appearance on this thread is a "full circle" event for me: of the dozens of threads about these OEM seats that I've bookmarked through the years, your posts of input & experience are often foundational throughout those forums.

Case in point: photos you've posted or commented on are many of the 445 Porsche racing shell pics I've saved to my hard drive. In short, I have you to blame - er, thank - for my addiction! Great to hear from you
Wow, thanks, glad my posts helped!!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:33 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My pleasure, Bob ^^ Your posts were well worth your effort, IMHO.

If this thread is to become a resource for buyers, it needs more sellers. What you guys got?

Ebayer losangelesdismantler's "Porsche 911 964 1994 Original Speedster Seats Rare Carrera RS Recaro." Item #310843687964; $8,500 USD.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:12 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Jager - Thanks for your research and for your help in my search. I am sure this thread will be helpful for anyone looking for period correct seats.

One thing regarding Herr Hahn... I was looking for a set of replicas and I reached out to him, however he replied that due to prior dealings with customs, he preferred not to ship to the US any longer.

In the spirit of the thread 1994 Speedster Seats from LA Dismantler with a BIN of $7,999.99

Originally Posted by NP993
Frankly they're problematic seats to have in the car -- passengers don't really like them, and it is very easy to damage the bolsters getting in and out. So you end up saying to your friends, "please be careful of those bolsters," which is pretty lame.
You could always remove and store the original leather covering and have another one made so that you could use the seats without any risk of damaging the original.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:46 AM
Group911@aol.com
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. My old seats. They started out as pretty nice original Speedster seats that I sold to Mark. Being Mark, he had to have them a perfect match and Speedsters didn't come in classic grey so after paying me a bunch for the seats, he sent them to probably the best shop in the country- Autoweave - and spent another fortune redoing them. After all that, he sold them back to me and that's when I advertised them at $6500. A couple months later, he called and had to have them back and then sold the whole car to corrdobrit.
Nice, Noah! The color inserts + white painted backs remind me of RLer CorrdoBrit's.
From the "Show me Your Seats" thread:

Mr. Moffat, this ^^ sounds like a recurring issue. Like to process through this with everyone?
Group hug?
Old 03-16-2014, 10:35 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bob-- Agreed, RLer dromicnorris (Mark) was a perfectionist about his 993 & its seats.
What he wrote about 'em as his "1995 993, 23,000 mls, mint" for sale ad was overcome by seat awe & Pole Position/SPG questions:
Originally Posted by dromicnorris

As Bob mentioned in the last ad, I am beyond particular when it comes to my rare Porsche RS/Speedster seats re-covered flawlessly with original Porsche sourced leather, shells painted GP white, tracks re-powdercoated, custom Titanium hardware, ($8,000 invested) saves approx. 90lbs from stock leather power seats which are included with the car and are in very nice original condition.
Originally Posted by ilko

Love the the seats.
Originally Posted by bart1

Sell me those seats. Now. I mean it. Seriously.
Originally Posted by 89826

Boy those seats look nice.

Yes, but the best part (after the 90 lbs weight savings) is that they hold you in the car so much better so that you can grasp the steering wheel with a much lighter grip and steer the car. Plus they are so much more comfortable than the stock power seats.
Originally Posted by Macca

I'm very interested in your seats.
Originally Posted by Cactus

What would you sell the seats for?
Originally Posted by AtlJimK

Sport Seats = 4-5K

thus RS Seats = 8-9K.

Those seats are frickin awesome!
Originally Posted by vernon

the best seats that I have ever seen! and I have had these cars for 45 years.
Originally Posted by os993

Those are Pole Position seats, right? Aren't they easy to obtain (and paint)?

These are the rare and correct Rennsport seats, used only in 964 RS, 993 RS and 1994 Speedsters. They have a special Porsche part number, are a different shape and design from Pole Positions, have a very unique under cushion spring/strap support for the cushions. They also have beautiful perforated leather alternating color cushions and full leather for the seats. PP's cost hundreds of dollars, these are $5,000 used before restoration. PP's make for wonderful seats though.
Originally Posted by dave morris

I had these in my 964 Cup. They are the best seat you can put in a Porsche IMHO.
Originally Posted by FisterD

I have seat lust.......
Originally Posted by bart1

the RS and Speedster seats are different and it sounds like you have the more comfy Speedster versions.

Correct, these have the supports under the cushions, hence much more comfortable yet still very supportive and very light.

Originally Posted by Kmassed002

these were not Pole Positions but rather Recaro SPGs... wouldn't be that expensive to recreate if you could get your hands on a used set...
Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit

Not SPG's. The bracing design on the seat backs is different and there's a 'trampoline' suspension system under the cushion.
Originally Posted by Flying Finn

Pole Positions & SPGs are great seats.
But they're not RS seats...
Old 03-17-2014, 12:44 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

My solution to problem for a full figured guy like me: Recaro Profi XL's reupholstered in Nappa leather by Autobahn Interiors with early 911 houndstooth fabric for center cushions. Very comfortable and secure for 250 pounder.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-18-2014, 07:14 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bob ^^ Good idea!

Speaking of reupholstering:
Recaro Pole Positions recovered like Porsche RS / Speedster hardback sport bucket seats, with an embossed crest. They sold in London for ~£2,000 GBP (~$3,300 USD).

From the seller's eBay listing:
Originally Posted by eddstalbans

I had these seats custom made for me by Southbound Trimmers in early 2012. I purchased two Recaro Pole Position bucket seats new and had Southbound retrim the seats in Black OEM Porsche leather. The seats are replicas of the style of seats used in the 964/993RS models, with perforated cushions and centre stitching. In addition they are embossed with the Porsche crest at the centre of the upper seat. These really are well made, by craftsman, by hand. The best quality leather work you will find anywhere, makes any car feel that more special. The seats are in very good condition as they are only a year or so old, I can see no obvious marks, tears or scuffing. They have been well looked after by myself and kept clean and protected as instructed by Southbound. The seats also come with Southbounds own custom side mounts and Recaro runners, all you need to fit is to swap over seat belt fasteners and bolt in. These seat will fit most air cooled 911's and 944's, 924's and 968's. They may also fit other models. These seats will cost over £3000 if custom built for you by Southbound. Due to size of items this is for pick up only. I am based in London N8.

FWIW, panel behind each shoulder is stitched differently from OEM ^^
Old 03-26-2014, 09:36 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

here are my new Hahn`s RS-clone seats.

I`m very happy with the seats. The just replaced my SPG`s, but - i`m seating to high. Compared to the SPG`s, we talk about 5cm... that`s a lot. At the moment, i drive without the cushion...

I`ll try to get a thinner cushion. Curr back-cushion is about 5.8cm thick - i like one with just one centimeter...

Old 03-26-2014, 03:51 PM
P-track
Rennlist Member

They look very good, how is the quality of the leather and details? Care to share the total cost for these seats? Thanks
Old 03-26-2014, 04:28 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

@p-track
quality seems to be very good. The details (stiching for example) are perfekt. The only thing is the seat-height...

Costs: The seats are not directly from hahn, but my mechanic has his workshop only 10km from hahn away and they are buddies... I got the seats from my mechanic plus a new 964 RS suspension on top, new carpets, new RS-rear glas... Round about, i think the seats were at round about 1k€ per seat...

Quick Reply: seats showcase: Recaro OEM hardback bucket sport shells- RS/ Speedster/ GT1/ GT2, etc