Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

seats showcase: Recaro OEM hardback bucket sport shells- RS/ Speedster/ GT1/ GT2, etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 01:26 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Exclamation seats showcase: Recaro OEM hardback bucket sport shells- RS/ Speedster/ GT1/ GT2, etc

At the moment I have 445 photos on my computer of these ^^ factory racing seats.
Nothing productive may ever result from posting all those pics (read: do NOT encourage me ).

However, enthusiasts often seek me to locate these seats for them to buy.
Plus, yesterday a RLer posted that he likes to see them in lightweight cars instead of adjustable 993 Recaro hardback sports seats.

So, to be a functioning addict, maybe timing's good for listing current auctions to help RLers find rare seats. (I'll also include a couple of Recaro A8 listings, as they've been popular on RL recently.)

Please use this thread to post links to RS / Speedster Recaro OEM hardback bucket racing shells for sale, or share your own pics here if you need an RS accountability group

"RS" = Recovering Seat-a-holics
Old 03-04-2014, 01:30 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ebay.de seller porschefreunde-baden-baden's "2 Schalensitze / Sportsitze Recaro Porsche 964 RS RSR Speedster 993 911" auction #271409865151; €5,799 (~$8,000 USD).

Old 03-04-2014, 01:33 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

This thread will make me cry.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:45 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Wink "964 RSA"

I got tears of joy from the related photos you just sent ... as requested, I'll call soon
Originally Posted by timothymoffat

This thread will make me cry.
Everyone, please welcome our newest member ^^ to RSA (Recovering Seat-a-holics Anonymous).
The first step is to admit you have a problem. Please introduce yourself & get comfortable -- I can tell you're going to be here a while

All are welcome: from junkies to members of 993 Smellerholics Anonymous!

Seller Recarosecondhandshop's "911 PORSCHE 993 964 SPORTSITZ SCHALENSITZ LEDERSITZ SITZ SEAT RS" #270563358570; €2,249 for one seat (~$3,100 USD).

For better or worse, depending on what a buyer wants & the price they can afford:
The seller states the seat's been repainted. Its original authenticity can't be confirmed, so the seat's for sale at the price of a used replica.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:11 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

With regards to replicas, one has to perform due diligence before possibly purchasing, as the safety standards may not be as stringent as those required for factory-installed seats.

Here are new aftermarket seats for sale, supplied by fsr-sportauto: "Porsche 911 964 993 RS Sitze Sportsitze TurboS Sport NGT M002 M003 Leder schwarz." Item #201034879202; €3,499 for both (~$4,830).

Notice there's no 'Recaro' logo stamped into the back of the leather head-rest:

Old 03-04-2014, 02:25 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hahn GFK produces these new aftermarket seats.

Contact them if you're interested in pricing & shipping specifics.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:34 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Back to OEM Porsche / Recaro seats --
With this auction, though, I may be a day late & a dollar short...

This listing closed yesterday, but if a buyer was a dollar short, then maybe the seller will re-list:

EBay.de seller nesrin20's "2 Recaro Schalensitze Porsche 911 964 993 RS Speedster Sitze Sportsitze Turbo S." Item #151237480496; €7,911 (~$10,911 USD).
Sold 'as is' at that price. The have some scuffs; the seller will refurbish them, but charges extra.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:03 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by curve lover

I'll also include a couple of Recaro A8 listings, as they've been popular on RL recently.)
FS by eBay.de's bmwcustom_js: "RECARO A8 Sitz Leder Sportsitz Schalensitz Porsche BMW VW Audi Rarität selten." Item #141192385560; €899 (~$1,240 USD).

Old 03-04-2014, 10:22 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

outstanding pics once again curve. Nice find.

I would be interested to know what the weight savings are VS a set of OE sport seats. Must be maaaahooosive

I love my PP's
Old 03-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

I have owned factory Recaro 993/964 RS seats and Recaro Profi XL seats from Recaro and have compared them to factory 964 Recaro Speedster seats, Recaro Pole Position and SPG seats, all of which are similar in appearance.

Here are differences I note:

1. 964 Speedster seats have a trampoline like rubber spring under the main cushion and no crotch belt pass through hole, although there is a cut out for one in the velour lining inside the seat. There is a hole in the main cushion for a crotch belt too, but useless.

2. RS seats look same as Speedster seats but have a pad under the main cushion with a hole in it that allows pass through of a crotch belt. The fiberglass hole's edge for the belt is covered with basket weave snap mold like around the rear quarter window on early 911. The pad is removable allowing the driver to sit deeper in the seat if desired for headroom or support.

3. The SPG is the narrowest seat and the Profi XL and Pole are both wider by 35 mm for a bigger driver. A factory RS seat is approximately 20 mm wider than an SPG and 15 mm narrower than an XL or Pole.

4. Because of the intermediate width of the RS seat, the side plates have to be sourced from Porsche. Recaro make 2 separate side plates kits for either the SPG or XL/Pole.

5. The factory RS/Speedster seats have a unique pattern of stiffening ribs on the seat shell.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:18 PM
esses
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They look like generic race seats. Hell glue a porsche crest on any sparco, omp, "insert name here" race seat and you've essentially got the same thing for thousands less. Flame away.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by esses
They look like generic race seats. Hell glue a porsche crest on any sparco, omp, "insert name here" race seat and you've essentially got the same thing for thousands less. Flame away.
No flame here, but what you say is absolutely true if you just want a seat to save weight and support better.

But that is not the only point to those who want only or collect factory stuff.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:38 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lopro

outstanding pics once again curve. Nice find.
Thanks!
Originally Posted by lopro

I would be interested to know what the weight savings are VS a set of OE sport seats. Must be maaaahooosive

I love my PP's
Speaking of lightweight seats, Pole Positions rock. Great value, quality, & looks.
Originally Posted by Cupcar

I have owned factory Recaro 993/964 RS seats and Recaro Profi XL seats from Recaro and have compared them to factory 964 Recaro Speedster seats, Recaro Pole Position and SPG seats.
Bob-- You simply making an appearance on this thread is a "full circle" event for me: of the dozens of threads about these OEM seats that I've bookmarked through the years, your posts of input & experience are often foundational throughout those forums.

Case in point: photos you've posted or commented on are many of the 445 Porsche racing shell pics I've saved to my hard drive. In short, I have you to blame - er, thank - for my addiction! Great to hear from you
Originally Posted by esses

They look like generic race seats, essentially the same thing for thousands less. Flame away.
Scott-- The challenge is finding OEM seats at generic prices. This thread's intention is to help RLers find that, starting by posting anything & everything available.

I was originally planning to post only factory Recaro racing shell seats here, but added the replicas above once I realized they might help someone else (& their budget) out. Even replicas are so rare themselves that I bet some reading this thread are seeing them for the 1st time.

I was lucky to find a good deal on what was the 'holy grail' to me - OEM Porsche Recaro Speedster hardback bucket seats - but it took more patience, research, & time than I preferred. The ideal goal here's to shorten the process for those inspired to get OEM &/or period-correct, but needing a good value.

Nothing wrong with chasing the dream of finding OEM seats like these, if you or friends find them for thousands less...

RLer Bart's 993 RS:

in 993 GT1:

& in GT2:

Old 03-04-2014, 03:08 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Damn. Nice thread Jäger. Thanks for your hard work!
Old 03-04-2014, 04:31 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gonzilla

Thanks for your hard work!
Mike-- RLers have done much to help me out; I'm glad to do anything that appears to help
...even if it's just a disguise for my addiction
Originally Posted by gonzilla

Damn. Nice thread Jäger.
I'm a fan of your damn nice A8s! Mind to post some pics of yours?

EBay.de seller recarosecondhandshop's "NEU RECARO A8 SPORTSITZ SCHALENSITZ SPORT SAET PORSCHE."
Item #270522589644; €2,199 (~$3,025 USD) for 1 seat.

This is new old stock that was never installed: this single seat was only used for display.

Quick Reply: seats showcase: Recaro OEM hardback bucket sport shells- RS/ Speedster/ GT1/ GT2, etc