Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   front control arm re-install (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/802723-front-control-arm-re-install.html)

RBP 02-28-2014 06:43 PM

front control arm re-install

Anyone have any helpful tips on getting the control arms back into their place? I replaced the bushings with the Elephant Sport type and found lots of info on the R&R of the bushings but nothing that talks about the actual control arms which need to be removed to change the bushings. I can't seem to get them back in. How difficult should it be? Do I need some sort of press? Has anyone had any issues? I tried a rubber mallet but that didn't work.

996scott 02-28-2014 06:55 PM

Mine went back in place pretty easy. Does it seem way off or just a little too tight to get it in? Maybe use a jack to push it in? Sorry not much help.

EMBPilot 02-28-2014 07:38 PM

Use a bottle jack

OverBoosted28 02-28-2014 09:27 PM

Rubber mallet or hammer and block of wood

lopro 02-28-2014 09:48 PM

an interesting thread for those doing their control arm bushings. https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-tutorial.html

FabianS 02-28-2014 11:17 PM

Try freezing then in the freezer overnight. I used to do that with dirt bike suspension bearings, and they slipped right in.

rlme36 02-28-2014 11:59 PM

Did them. Use some grease to put them back in. My choice was dielectric since it was handy and I used some wood and my vise. I only used grease on the beginning portion to ease it in the trailing metal serrations grabbed the inner alum arm just fine.

AOW162435 03-01-2014 09:17 AM

I've removed & installed quite a few sets of 993 control arms and always find a few carefully-selected swear words to assist the operation.

That said, make sure the keyed steel insert (in the large bushing) is oriented parallel to the arm, and towards the center of the car. This 'nib' needs to mate with the recess in the subframe. Hook the front of the a-arm over the subframe and then wrangle the rear portion into position.

This is easier with poly bushings as the arm is free to move on the bushings.

Andreas

RBP 03-01-2014 06:54 PM

Thanks all. I ended up using a file to make sure the surface was smooth at the rear bushing fork where the bushing has to slide in. I added grease on both sides of the rear bushing washers and used a 2 x 4 and hammer and got her done! Looks good but they don't just slide in easy, I'll say that much. The front bushing was lined up correctly it was just very tight fitting. I guess I thought they would go in with the same difficulty as they came out, not the case.

Jeff96-993 03-01-2014 08:54 PM

Also, as a precautionary reminder, after the bushing install, make sure you put the correct control arm on the correct side of the car. Of course, I did not do that, and spent a couple of hours wondering why the rest of the suspension bits didn't mate quite perfectly. Flipped them back to the proper side, it worked perfectly, as one would expect.

RBP 03-02-2014 09:30 AM

I replaced mine because I was told that was why the steering wheel would shake a little at certain speeds. When you guys changed them out what was the difference or was there no difference? As you can see mine are installed in the right location. After I cleaned them off I noticed there is a big R on one with felt pen, I expect it's a factory mark. It's still visible in the photo.

Mike J 03-02-2014 01:57 PM

OR someone else had them off before you. I have never seen the factory mark the part - but there is always a first time.

RBP 03-02-2014 06:12 PM

It's not likely since the "R" was covered by the black film that was factory done. At least that's what I was told. When I cleaned all the coating on the part the mark was underneath.

rlme36 03-02-2014 06:24 PM

now that is interesting. I recall seeing the "R" on mine when I did mine, thought it was for the reason already mentioned, someone else had it off for some reason.

RBP 03-02-2014 06:37 PM

It is interesting. I think it unlikely someone removed the control arms, cleaned the factory coating off, did whatever the project was, marked the right side control arm with a "R", reinstalled the control arms then re-sprayed the coating overtop.

I initially thought someone rustproofed my car, then a fellow Porsche guy more knowledgeable than me informed me that that coating was factory applied and all the cars had it.

Anyone have a comment on the overall improvement the new bushings make? I would just try it but I won't get to try for a few more months. Still have lots of snow here and colder than normal.