Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making my 993 smartphone friendly (Becker CD-210 aux in question)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:43 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Making my 993 smartphone friendly (Becker CD-210 aux in question)

I have always used my phone as a GPS in my car. My first was a Toyota Tacoma and a nokia e90 proped open on in front of the guages, it was short enough not to obscure anything, Next was my S4, not as perfect a maggage with a modern style smartphone (T-Mobile G2). Now I'm in my 993 and there is pretty much nowhere to place a phone and still have it be usable.
I've seen the mount that affixes to the clock and a few others but in a perfect world there would be a place to set my ohone right where the switches in the center console are. Then I found the Kuda mount. This thing is everything I wanted. It got me thinking: if I could have anything I wanted in a phone mount, what would it have?

WIRELESS!

My idea for this is to stick an
NFC charger NFC charger
behind where the phone sits and use a 12v to USB adapter to power it.

To affix the phone to it I want to buy a thick case for it, cut out a hole at each corner and place magnets in the case as well as maginets with the charger behind the wall.

The final thing is the difficult part: bluetooth integration. I want to get a
bluetooth audio adapter bluetooth audio adapter
to hide behind everything and hook up into a stock becker radio, such as my CR-210 or a CRD-220. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/694839-becker-cr-210-aux-input-for-ipod-iphone.html. I want the input to always be plugged into the aux in. I also want to continue to be able to use my CD changer. I seem to remember reading that Becker's Aux in solution only goes into aux mode when the radio is on and a switch within the 3.5 mm jack itself it triggered, which is how most smartphones detect headphones. If the bluetooth adapter is always plugged in this won't work. Someone mentioned Becker could make the 3.5 mm aux in come from the back but I'm not sure how this works as far as number of inputs go.

Maybe I just need to call Backer NA, but I thought maybe people here might know.

Also, Does anyone know if it would be possible to wire tip steeting wheel controls to a CR-210? 2 rocker withches on the radio, 2 rocker switchers on the steering wheel. Seems like it shouldn't be too dificult. Anyone have a Becker reapir manual?
Old 02-25-2014, 08:42 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I like your ideas.
It is a cold snowy winter here in the Midwest and my 964 is tucked away from the snow and the salt until spring. To ease my pain I have taken up a new hobby. I ventured out on Kickstarter and purchased a 3D printer.
I love gadgets and I use my phone in my vehicles for navigation, music ..etc. but I hate those one holder fits all holders with Velcro and suction cups that never stay and then you have to plug in your power cord …. So I decided to design a phone holder specific to the car and to the phone.

Here are a couple of Prototype versions .

This one uses the Ashtray

This one uses the cigarette lighter

Last edited by John Rygg; 02-25-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:49 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the look of that. If I had access to a 3d printer I could make a mount that fits my phone with its case on and carve out a place in the back for the wireless charger.(although I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to incorporate wired charging. Scratch that, if I pick up my phone I don't want ot have to pull a cord from it too)

I really like the ashtray placement, it makes it easy to play with the phone with your hand stabilized on the shifter. The cigarette lighter just blocks too much of the radio and there is nothing to stabilize my hand while I'm using the touchscreen.

But I am still hung up on my issue of getting audio to the stock stereo. No options are elegant if I keep with a Becker branded system(I require a stock look, no shiny plastic or juke box lighting). I need tuner, cd changer and aux in. Too much to ask? Apparently.
I wonder if Becker Autosound can make the Aux wired up to my useless casette input. That way it is a separate input and doesn't piggyback off the tuner. Apparently Becker's Aux in for the CR-210 requires the display to appear like its still a tuner even though the aux in is going to the speakers.
They really don't seem receptive to doing anything outside of their menu of à la carte radio modifications.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:57 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

I have wired charging on my holder they just slide in and out , you could incorporate the wireless charger in the holder also I bet.

Last edited by John Rygg; 02-25-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

For your wireless issue ,in my truck I have a Satechi stereo Bluetooth FM transmitter that works great. even displays the songs on the radio.
I use it with a universal type mount I made that fits in the cassette deck

I also have made one for my friends IPhone 5 and my wifes droid bionic (with a purple case) for her Audi A4

Quick Reply: Making my 993 smartphone friendly (Becker CD-210 aux in question)