Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Check Out My Road Force Balance...Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Bright side is the weight is in a place where you'll never see it when mounted on the car. In some respects, I think that is much better than seeing a ribbon of stick on weights through the spokes on a freshly painted wheel.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:58 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Call Corghi USA @ 1-800-260-0968 and ask them for their nearest customer (they can search by zipcode) with an Artiglio Master. You won't have to worry about your rims get mauled and if the shop spent the money for one of those, chances are they will know how to balance and weight your rims properly.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:26 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I have some experience in this area.

If I were going to upset about anything it would be that the tires are only statically balanced (1 plane) instead of dynamic (2 planes).

Static balance only addresses the "up-down" imbalance that usually causes vibration complaints while dynamic address both the "up - down" and "side to side" imbalance which usually leads to complaints of a"shimmy"

A dynamic balance requires weight placement on the inner and out planes (the front and back of the wheel.)

The closer you can get to the edge of the wheel (rim lip) the less weight is required to correct the imbalance.

The road force drum serves to replicate loaded conditions and more importantly measures runout from either a bent wheel, out of round tire or both. This information is critical because you can experience a ride disturbance from a perfectly balanced, yet not physically true tire wheel assembly.

Now the tech may have purposely done a static balance in response to restrictions placed by the client regarding wheel weight placement.

Alternatively, the tech appreciating the appearance of the wheels, may have done a static balance with clip on weights to preserve the clean look of the fresh wheels by not having any tape weights visible in the barrel to detract from the appearance.

Those wheels are certainly able to handle "clip on" weights provided the correct clip matching the rim lip profile is used.

The best balance strategy in my opinion would have been dynamic using clip on weights on the inside and tape on weights on the outer plane utilizing a function of the road force balancer to optimize placement of the tape on weights directly behind a wheel spoke.

This would give you a high quality yet totally invisible balance.

At $13.50 a wheel it sounds like the OP went to a high volume discount tire shop.

IMHO the reason for the dissatisfaction is a failure of communication and management of expectations.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Got it back together and took it out for a long drive. Got some salt juice on it for the first time in its 19 years. At least the steering wheel doesn't vibrate at 100 anymore....
Old 02-01-2014, 04:46 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Got it back together and took it out for a long drive. Got some salt juice on it for the first time in its 19 years. At least the steering wheel doesn't vibrate at 100 anymore....
La puta...
Old 02-01-2014, 05:55 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This kind of work is typical at most places. Im sorry you are so irritated, try not to let it force you to sell the car.

Last season I was attending a DE event and my rear tires were shot. I had a used a set in the garage so I pulled the wheels (no way am I bringing the car to these idiots) and brought the wheels and used tires to the local tire shop. I asked that they swap them over which they did. I was not paying attention when I picked them up, looked for obvious damage but not much else. I got home and went to mount the wheels and noticed they had (no joke) 16 OUNCES OF STICK ON WEIGHTS ON ONE WHEEL!

I ran it because I didnt have time to do anything else.

I am fortunate there are several good independent shops nearby and I can do most of my own work.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:05 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

all we are saying...
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2014, 11:11 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
I have some experience in this area.

If I were going to upset about anything it would be that the tires are only statically balanced (1 plane) instead of dynamic (2 planes).

Static balance only addresses the "up-down" imbalance that usually causes vibration complaints while dynamic address both the "up - down" and "side to side" imbalance which usually leads to complaints of a"shimmy"

A dynamic balance requires weight placement on the inner and out planes (the front and back of the wheel.)

The closer you can get to the edge of the wheel (rim lip) the less weight is required to correct the imbalance.

The road force drum serves to replicate loaded conditions and more importantly measures runout from either a bent wheel, out of round tire or both. This information is critical because you can experience a ride disturbance from a perfectly balanced, yet not physically true tire wheel assembly.

Now the tech may have purposely done a static balance in response to restrictions placed by the client regarding wheel weight placement.

Alternatively, the tech appreciating the appearance of the wheels, may have done a static balance with clip on weights to preserve the clean look of the fresh wheels by not having any tape weights visible in the barrel to detract from the appearance.

Those wheels are certainly able to handle "clip on" weights provided the correct clip matching the rim lip profile is used.

The best balance strategy in my opinion would have been dynamic using clip on weights on the inside and tape on weights on the outer plane utilizing a function of the road force balancer to optimize placement of the tape on weights directly behind a wheel spoke.

This would give you a high quality yet totally invisible balance.

At $13.50 a wheel it sounds like the OP went to a high volume discount tire shop.

IMHO the reason for the dissatisfaction is a failure of communication and management of expectations.
that being said...I image that there are stick on's inboard of the bang on's... My local shop used to do this arrangement years ago when road force balancing. Everything...EVERYTHING, comes down to the installer/balancer. When Joel Riser mounted the new set of tires to my 4s...less than 4K miles after a track specific alignment destroyed a set of new Michelin PPS's, he didn't RFB them. Silky smooth, was the result.

Every tire set, every rim, has it's sweet spots. It's simply up to an installer who cares, who pays attention to the little details, to make those little differences.

How's that for prolific statements ...75 + oz's of 9+% craft beer in after a Syracuse win over Duke.

I'm pretty proud of me.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:33 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Tim,
Sorry to disappoint, but that boy needs more than a beer & a hug. Much more.

Andreas
he needs a mocha frappacino and a Prius.

Emerald
Old 02-02-2014, 01:45 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by e3photo
he needs a mocha frappacino and a Prius.

Emerald
I can help with the Frap (in a bottle, of course), and many of us in the Bay Area would be glad to see one fewer Prius running among us.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:46 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by e3photo
he needs a mocha frappacino and a Prius. Emerald
Don't knock the Prius. I bought one for business use and I love it!
Old 02-04-2014, 01:13 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hate to beat on this dead horse again, but if Cactus still wants to sell there's potentially a local buyer in an ex-914 owner from his college days in the '70s whose always wanted a nice 911.........and lives probably within a couple of miles. (Wife's long lost high school friend's husband.)

Also, found out the "Hookers 'N Blow" area in Lancaster is over across from Dutch Wonderland on US30. Just an FYI for those who might be needed a diversion after visiting Amish country. Or the outlet malls.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Open to offers. It will be high though.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:27 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 362 Posts

Open to offers. It will be high though.
Whats going to happen to those 18" Rufs?
Old 02-04-2014, 03:56 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Open to offers. I will be high though.

Fixed it for you.

Emerald

Quick Reply: Check Out My Road Force Balance...Discuss