Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Repaint scratch or Leave alone? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:53 PM
F1tifosi
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Repaint scratch or Leave alone? Thoughts?

Just picked up a low mileage (20k-ish) '97 993 TT that has little wear (usual minor stone chips) other than a non-buffable 2 by 3 brush mark (scratch) on the front bumper that bugs me. The car had a full PPI and paint meter showed no prior paint work at all. Should I just suck it up and stop staring or have some touch up (blend the paint) work? Will it hurt my resale value if it is painted? Thanks much, Q
Old 01-29-2014, 10:05 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been amazed what Dr. ColorChip can do.
I use a soft plastic card as if it were a squeegee.
Let it dry a bit and then buff with their solution.
The color match on a meteor gray metallic car was perfect.
This type of touch up would not hurt resale in my opinion.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:09 PM
F1tifosi
Rennlist Member

Thanks BTB
Old 01-29-2014, 10:18 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

If you plan on keeping it for a long time, I would probably have the scratch repaired. I would take a bunch of pictures before, during, and after the repair was completed. I would also look around along time to find a good painter. I wouldn't repair the paint chips if you don't have that many. Keep as much of the original paint as you can ( it's only original once ) and think about protecting it with a clear bra. That's just my opinion. Keep all your records and enjoy it.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:23 PM
bobboinski
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I tried dr Colorchip on polar silver and never could get a good match. Went back and forth with them with different formulations but was never happy with the result. They were great about it but I think polar silver is just a tough one to match. Definitely inexpensive enough to give it a shot.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:25 PM
F1tifosi
Rennlist Member

Thanks very much folks
Old 01-29-2014, 10:40 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

You might be able to cut polish it out or make it less noticeable unless staring hard at it. I'd take it to a pro detail shop and see what they recommend.

Good tip about the clear bra, often these new clear bras can slightly mask imperfections in addition to offering protection from more rock chips.

Let's see some pics of the new car!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:59 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

Check with the service departments of your local high-end dealerships. There may be the equivalent to a business we have here by the name of COLORMATCH. They go to the dealerships an do touch-ups on-site, even out in the open, and do an incredible job.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:11 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Quinn
Just picked up a low mileage (20k-ish) '97 993 TT that has little wear (usual minor stone chips) other than a non-buffable 2 by 3 brush mark (scratch) on the front bumper that bugs me. The car had a full PPI and paint meter showed no prior paint work at all. Should I just suck it up and stop staring or have some touch up (blend the paint) work? Will it hurt my resale value if it is painted? Thanks much, Q
1. The bumpers are plastic and therefore cannot be measured by a paint meter. It's very possible the paint isn't original on the front bumper.

2. If you do paint the bumper, have it removed to paint. Should be no more than $500 in total and if done well will be undetectable.

3. Will have zero effect on resale (again because it is not considered "one of the panels" of the car.

4. I would drive the car for a while. You might simply "get used to" the scratch and it won't bother you at all. Consider it "patina' on a 16 year old car. God forbid you get any more "damage" on the front bumper in the form of rock chips or worse, you can always have it done later on.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:12 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you say front bumper. It's plastic, good luck verifying the paint thickness. Get it fixed, you need to be happy, then you will truly enjoy the car.

EDIT: u7.... Beat me to it.

Johnny
Old 01-30-2014, 12:40 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
1. The bumpers are plastic and therefore cannot be measured by a paint meter.
DeFelsko among others make meters that can measure depth on plastic.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:13 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 451 Posts

My paint meter measures plastic...
Old 01-30-2014, 10:51 AM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Quinn
Chris,

A lot of good suggestions above.

Do you have an air compressor? If so, buy an Air Brush & use it on the chips or any small scratches. That's what I do. You spray, then let it dry completely, wet sand any overspray flat to the original paint level. Then spray again, etc. until you fill the pit level with the surrounding paint. Once buffed, you will never see it. No need to deal with Dr. Colorwhatever. I buy a quart of original paint whenever I get a new car. And, that's what I use.

I'm almost certain my front bumper cover was repainted because at 17,700 miles it had NO chips. Not likely! And, it is slightly off-color to the rest of the car. This will be a remove and full re-spray.

I just did the first air brush coat on the trailing edges of the wheel well openings. Had some visible chips on all 4. Will sand & do 2nd coat this weekend. FYI, I've been working with air brushes since college days (many years ago). They are very forgiving as the volume of paint is very low. You can do a spray pattern of less than an inch in diameter. So, little need of masking.

As for the 2 x 3 mark, best let a pro do it.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:13 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Just leave it, drive for a while i'm sure it wont be the last scratch. Spend 500 on something else.

You should see my front bumper full of chips.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:19 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Everybody's philosophy on painting/touchup is different. Mine is pretty simple...I'm not gonna repaint an entire body part just to get rid of a scratch. Obviously, that depends on he size/shape/etc. of the scratch. I prefer to have 99% original paint on the part, with a high quality touchup job on the scratch. So if you ever do sell it...the decision to repaint or keep it touched up becomes the new owner's decision. In other words, if you just touchup...you retain the option to have it repainted in the future. If I were in your shoes...I would do a quality touchup, and it if still bothers you...then get it repainted.

Quick Reply: Repaint scratch or Leave alone? Thoughts?