Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Door Pocket Attachment Reinforcement

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 01:34 PM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll take standard. PM incoming shortly.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:05 PM
will007
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 30 Posts

Shoutout to Foxman for his detailed install instructions -- see post #299 on page 20.

The ABS cement glue is definitely the way to go -- you can get a 4 oz. container at The Home Depot which is the smallest size. Now I need to find a landscape contractor that can use the remaining 3.99 oz!

I did not have the extra ABS pieces (maybe it did not come with the HiFi version or I lost them), and given that the missing sections on both door pockets were very irregular in shape, I found some rubber sheeting (in my case with some internal threads like you would find in car engine timing belts) I had laying around from other projects -- just the right thickness, 1/8" (another option is big rubber washers) -- and cut them to shape and used the ABS glue to secure. Clamped for 8 hours and they were solid. I used blue tape to keep the glue from spreading and covering the the ends of my clamps. No mess at the end. Some of the excess glue filled in most of the remaining cracks that I did not spend more time with the repair as it was strong and stiff.

I did a final trimming of the rubber after I glued the reinforcement pieces, which I also clamped for 8 hours. Given that the top ends are hard to see, and the front side is covered with vinyl, I did not do any further sanding, painting, etc. Unless you were looking for the upgrade, you cannot visually notice the change on daily driving -- see photos.

For drilling the holes I did a two step process with a pen and blue tape. Marking the VERTICAL position of the screw hole on the grab handle and poked a hole in the tape as well to mark the exact location. Then I positioned the door pocket (which also had a piece of tape on it) in the place I wanted it and marked the HORIZONTAL position on the tape on the grab handle. I then marked a VERTICAL line on the tape on the door pocket. I then removed the tape on the grab handle and placed it on the door pocket tape using the VERTICAL line as my guide for placement. The HORIZONTAL mark should just be slightly above the door pocket. Now you know where to drill the hole. A small drill is important to keep the angle at a minimum. After drilling (does not need a lot of speed), remove the tape and you are done.

The upgrade is great -- no flex at all -- and I would recommend it even if your door pocket is in good shape.

Left Door Pocket

Right Door Pocket

Last edited by will007; 12-20-2016 at 04:38 PM. Reason: fixed a typo and added additional information
Old 12-21-2016, 10:53 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by will007
Shoutout to Foxman for his detailed install instructions -- see post #299 on page 20.

The ABS cement glue is definitely the way to go -- you can get a 4 oz. container at The Home Depot which is the smallest size. Now I need to find a landscape contractor that can use the remaining 3.99 oz!

I did not have the extra ABS pieces (maybe it did not come with the HiFi version or I lost them), and given that the missing sections on both door pockets were very irregular in shape, I found some rubber sheeting (in my case with some internal threads like you would find in car engine timing belts) I had laying around from other projects -- just the right thickness, 1/8" (another option is big rubber washers) -- and cut them to shape and used the ABS glue to secure. Clamped for 8 hours and they were solid. I used blue tape to keep the glue from spreading and covering the the ends of my clamps. No mess at the end. Some of the excess glue filled in most of the remaining cracks that I did not spend more time with the repair as it was strong and stiff.

I did a final trimming of the rubber after I glued the reinforcement pieces, which I also clamped for 8 hours. Given that the top ends are hard to see, and the front side is covered with vinyl, I did not do any further sanding, painting, etc. Unless you were looking for the upgrade, you cannot visually notice the change on daily driving -- see photos.

For drilling the holes I did a two step process with a pen and blue tape. Marking the VERTICAL position of the screw hole on the grab handle and poked a hole in the tape as well to mark the exact location. Then I positioned the door pocket (which also had a piece of tape on it) in the place I wanted it and marked the HORIZONTAL position on the tape on the grab handle. I then marked a VERTICAL line on the tape on the door pocket. I then removed the tape on the grab handle and placed it on the door pocket tape using the VERTICAL line as my guide for placement. The HORIZONTAL mark should just be slightly above the door pocket. Now you know where to drill the hole. A small drill is important to keep the angle at a minimum. After drilling (does not need a lot of speed), remove the tape and you are done.

The upgrade is great -- no flex at all -- and I would recommend it even if your door pocket is in good shape.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
I did not know that ABS cement would adhere to rubber. I hope it holds long term.
You did not lose any extra pieces, the HiFi kit does not come with extra pieces.
The Standard kit does come with extra pieces, but only to fill the small void created by gluing the flat reinforcement piece to the existing piece that has a bend in it.
Totally agree that this reinforcement is ideal for door pockets that haven't cracked yet.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:10 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Default HiFi and Standard Door Pocket Reinforcements

HiFi and Standard Door Pocket Reinforcements
If you are interested in a set of HiFi or Standard door pocket reinforcements (next trip to post office will be Friday, 30th December):
  • Post to this thread first (and indicate HiFi or Standard). Click here to determine HiFi or Standard.
  • Follow up with a PM that has your name and mailing address
  • After you complete the 2 steps above, I will PM you a link for paying with PayPal. Use a browser (not one of the mobile apps) to view this PM because links in PMs are disabled by the mobile apps.
$10 per HiFi set, $11 per Standard set. And this includes shipping to the US via USPS. Add $10 if shipping to Canada. PM me first if you are not in the US or Canada.
No items get shipped until PayPal payment received.
If I receive your payment by Wednesday December 28th at 8PM CST your item will ship on Friday, December 30th.

Current list of members for HiFi and Standard door pocket reinforcements:
  1. Sandia man - HiFi - PayPal received
  2. s2racer - Standard - PayPal received
  3. Carmen214 - Standard - PayPal received
  4. spruden - Standard - PayPal received
BTB
Old 12-31-2016, 12:11 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Default 993 door pocket reinforcements shipped out

Happy New Year everyone!
993 door pocket reinforcements for the following Rennlisters shipped out yesterday (Friday).
These should arrive within a week or so.
Originally Posted by BesideTheBox
  1. Sandia man - HiFi - PayPal received
  2. s2racer - Standard - PayPal received
  3. Carmen214 - Standard - PayPal received
  4. spruden - Standard - PayPal received
BTB
Old 01-05-2017, 12:44 AM
Mark FM
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I would like to order the Hi-Fi set of pocket reinforcements. I just acquired (this week!) a gorgeous 1997 C4S. Just got in from a 200 mile trip and I am truly enjoying the experience!

Many thanks!

Mark
Old 01-05-2017, 10:43 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark FM
I would like to order the Hi-Fi set of pocket reinforcements. I just acquired (this week!) a gorgeous 1997 C4S. Just got in from a 200 mile trip and I am truly enjoying the experience!

Many thanks!

Mark
Hi Mark FM,
Congratulations on your new C4S!
I'll send out a batch of these toward the end of January, on Friday the 27th if you can wait until then.
Please follow up with a PM (private message) to me with your name and shipping address. Then I will send you my PayPal link.
BTB
Old 01-08-2017, 10:26 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

If you are interested in a set of HiFi or Standard door pocket reinforcements (next trip to post office will be Friday, 27th January):
  • First - Post to this thread and indicate HiFi or Standard. Click here to determine HiFi or Standard.
  • Second - Follow up with a PM that has your name and mailing address
  • After you complete the 2 steps above, I will PM you a link for paying with PayPal. Use a browser (not one of the mobile apps) to view this PM because links in PMs are disabled by the mobile apps.
$10 per HiFi set, $11 per Standard set. And this includes shipping to the US via USPS. Add $10 if shipping to Canada. PM me first if you are not in the US or Canada.
No items get shipped until PayPal received.
If I receive your PayPal by Wednesday January 25th at 8PM CST your item will ship on Friday, January 27th.

1. Mark FM - HiFi - PayPal received
BTB

Last edited by BesideTheBox; 01-09-2017 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Member list update
Old 01-09-2017, 03:09 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in for a standard set, PM sent
Old 01-09-2017, 04:44 PM
squidge
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

I'll take a HiFi set, PMing now.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:57 PM
ptam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take a standard set, PM sent. Thanks
Old 01-10-2017, 11:25 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

If you are interested in a set of HiFi or Standard door pocket reinforcements (next trip to post office will be Friday, 27th January):
  • First - You post to this thread and indicate HiFi or Standard. Click here to determine HiFi or Standard.
  • Second - You follow up with a PM to me that has your name and mailing address
If I receive your PayPal by Wednesday January 25th at 8PM CST your item will ship on Friday, January 27th.

2. EMBPilot - standard - PayPal received
  3. squidge - HiFi - PayPal received
  4. ptam - standard - PayPal received
BTB

Last edited by BesideTheBox; 01-11-2017 at 10:38 AM. Reason: update member list
Old 01-16-2017, 10:29 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

• First - You post to this thread and indicate HiFi or Standard. Click here to determine HiFi or Standard.

BTB
Old 01-20-2017, 10:26 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Anyone else? Respond here and by PM (see details below) by Wednesday for shipping next Friday.

BTB
Old 01-21-2017, 04:19 AM
Hasse993
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door pocket enforcements

Anyone else? Respond here and by PM (see details below) by Wednesday for shipping next Friday.
Hi,
I also have the HiFi option. Can you ship to Sweden?

Quick Reply: 993 Door Pocket Attachment Reinforcement