Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Poor quality Beru wires and dirty injectors?

Old 01-21-2014, 01:04 AM
alcanada
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Poor quality Beru wires and dirty injectors?

While I was pulling out parts to get to the fuel injectors, I noticed damage on one of the Beru wires. It’s only a year old and a piece of the outer sheath is broken exposing the inner insulation. I recall scrub marks on the spark plug connectors when I installed the wire set but did not notice any damage to the wires. Don’t think I pulled that hard on the connector and there should not be anything rubbing against it. Anybody else have the same experience?
Name:  IMG_3183.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  100.8 KB

Also notice a lot of black soot in the fuel injector port. Not sure know to clean the dirt in the little holes without taking more parts out. The injectors are fairly dirty, is this expected from 120,000 km?
Name:  IMG_3192.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  108.1 KB
Old 01-21-2014, 03:17 AM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the process if swapping out my 18 year old (140,000 mi) wires and while my wires look worse than yours, your sockets look quite torn up. There is a lot of rubber that looks ripped off. I attached a picture of what those sockets should look like. I don't think that sort of damage could occur unless it was done deliberately.

As for cleaning, I cleaned my sockets with kerosene on a rag and they look as good as new and I'm not exaggerating. Perhaps you could swab some around your fuel injectors with a Q-tip. I might even try to on mine since my back end is already so disassembled.
If you want to replace your wires you can for about $180 for replacement leads but since your sockets are in such bad shape you may as well get the entire wire set. $418 was the cheapest I was able to find for Beru and that was on eBay. Sunset was well over $900 FYI.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:31 AM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a few sheath nicks/cuts I noticed while changing my plugs, only on the bottom right 3 leads. I used a 3M scotchkote sealer after using a little electrical tape just to seal it up until I had time to change all the plug leads down the road. The scotchkote sealed very nicely. Not the nicest solution, but it will work while you track down why your connectors are getting chewed up so quickly. That way you dont run into the same problem down the road and dont short leads also.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:02 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts

That looks like a rodent has been at it. Very common where we are, rats or mice etc love to chew on those wires and especially the connectors.
Regards
Sean
Old 01-21-2014, 04:35 AM
alcanada
Instructor

Why that dirty rat, time to set some mouse traps

I was thinking about using some fuel injector fluid to clean the port holes and Q tips. Should I be worried about pushing some of that dirt back into the engine.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Eurotrio
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I just did some cleaning few days ago. 3M General Purpose,cleaner, (available at most auto supply stores) commonly used in body shops, worked the best for me. It loosened up any greasy build up and leaves no residue.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:03 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JET951
That looks like a rodent has been at it. Very common where we are, rats or mice etc love to chew on those wires and especially the connectors.
Regards
Sean
That was my 1st thought too!
Old 01-21-2014, 05:13 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

I just replaced my wires too. I was very impressed with the Beru quality.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:40 PM
KLSpeed27
Racer

Originally Posted by P-daddy
I just replaced my wires too. I was very impressed with the Beru quality.
I recently did mine as well during my clutch job. I went with the replacement wires only as my ends looked fine. I decided to go with the fancy red wires, only to realize that all I can see when I open the rear deck are the two coil wires...
Old 01-22-2014, 02:52 PM
C4S993
Pro

A couple weeks ago Amazon had the Beru 993 plug wire set at $347 !

Now a tad higher but very reasonable.

Amazon.com: Beru Ignition Wire Set: Automotive Amazon.com: Beru Ignition Wire Set: Automotive

Often noted on RL is a place Witch/something that refurbishes 993 injectors.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

FWIW,..I've had good luck with the 993 Beru wire sets. Naturally, this precludes damage from rodents or improper installation,...

Dirty injectors are quite common and directly related to the quality of the fuel as well as the use of injector cleaners. Prolonged idling adds to the problem as well. When they get really bad, we send them out for professional testing and cleaning, followed by a strict regimen of injector cleaner use to prevent a recurrence.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:30 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve, are you suggesting to use injector cleaners? Or suggesting that their use contributes to dirty injectors? I don't seem to have any issues but every 1k miles or so I use a bottle of Techron. I will gladly stop if it will contribute to dirtying my injectors.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:26 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
Steve, are you suggesting to use injector cleaners? Or suggesting that their use contributes to dirty injectors? I don't seem to have any issues but every 1k miles or so I use a bottle of Techron. I will gladly stop if it will contribute to dirtying my injectors.
Hi Chris,

I'm a strong advocate of using GOOD injector cleaners, given the propensity for carbon buildups caused by today's unleaded fuels. Its been a problem for years and its REALLY affected the DFI cars.

I don't think you need to use that stuff every thousand miles but every 5K will do the job for you.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Spirited driving helps too!

I used Q tips to clean around the ports when I pulled my injectors. Just try and be judicial in wiping toward the outside.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:03 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to steal the thread, but is there any commonly available fuel system cleaner that you would recommend, Steve? I'd imagine that someone with your expertise would have an excellent idea of what works and what doesn't.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Poor quality Beru wires and dirty injectors?