accidently left the oil cap off

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 12:04 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
You are using wrong oil
So says the guy who doesn't understand condensation burn off in oil...

Most prefer a heavier weight when using Mobil 1 due to added zinc and the heavier weight in general due to additional hot running protection. But your 10W-40 will keep the metal bits slippery. 1000s of 993s serviced at dealerships are running exactly what you are, and yet we don't see engines exploding... You'll be fine.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:28 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jstyer

Most prefer a heavier weight when using Mobil 1 due to added zinc and the heavier weight in general due to additional hot running protection. But your 10W-40 will keep the metal bits slippery. 1000s of 993s serviced at dealerships are running exactly what you are, and yet we don't see engines exploding... You'll be fine.
+1, but in Florida summer heat, I'd opt for the heavier oil.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:28 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Along the same lines, just because Coca Cola has the same name, does not mean the ingredients have not changed. No more cocaine!

I believe the oil weight originally specified had a high zddp content. not the same now, even though the name is the same.

Regarding the dealer, if that is all they have on hand, that is what they will recommend. I will trust the opinions of the rennlist sponsors, who see more 993's in a week than the dealers see in a month.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:51 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jstyer

If your criteria is engine not exploding, you can use any oil you want.

Fine I was wrong, small amounts of water can evaporate, but here is Q&A from Mobil 1.

From Mobil 1
Question:
Getting Water Out of Motor Oil
I forgot to put the oil cap on and water got in the engine. How can I fix it or get the water out?
-- John Smith, Hobart, IN
Answer:
It depends on how much water is in the system. Minor amounts of water will be driven off if the vehicle is operated at sustained high operating temperatures. But if there is excess water in the fluid, lubrication can be compromised and engine damage can occur. If the oil looks milky or is separated in layers then you probably have excessive water in the oil. In this case changing the oil makes sense.

Quick Reply: accidently left the oil cap off