Exhaust comparison advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 02:18 PM
ms9811
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust comparison advice

Hi all;

Before the flaming begins, I know that this subject has been dealt with in the forums, but I cannot seems to find answers to my sepecific questions. Please bear with me if I missed it somewhere.

I have a 1/96 production C2 (Bischoff). I installed the Motorsound airbox (just the airbox cover, not any other part of the system) but it is otherwise bone stock. I love the car, but feel that I would like a little different exhaust note. I am almost embarrassed to admit that increasing power and decreasing weight are not factors for me. It is all about the sound.

What I am looking for is a raspy, hollow, crisp sound as opposed to a deep, rumbly, V8 sound and, most importantly, lots of popping or burbling when I lift out of the throttle. Partial throttle application sound is more important than WOT since my car already makes nice noises when I get into it.

What I DON'T want is a deep, rumbly sound that some of these systems advertise. I am also not interested in a huge increase in noise so as not to wake the neighbors or law enforcement or to make myself feel self conscious.

I have tried to find videos of the Fister Stage I and II compared to stock and of the Fabspeed running stock mufflers with or without upgraded cats, but those videos just don't seem to tell me what I am looking for. It is just very hard from the descriptions in these videos to determine (i) if the video is with or without cats (ii) if the muffler is stock or aftermarket. From what I've heard I am NOT interested in changing the stock mufflers out unless it is the best way to give me the specific results I am looking for.

Regarding Fabspped, I was wondering if/how their crossover differs in sound quality from the stock Bischoff setup which has no separating wall between the pipes leading from one bank to the other.

Any thoughts/guidance/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even if all you do is tell me where to look to get an answer. I am happy to be educated, so don't worry if you have a response that seems like it should have been obvious to me.

I have been on may car club forums in the past and I can tell you that this seems to be the most informative one I've encountered. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:38 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The Fabspeed from what I understand use absorption style mufflers which act as low-pass filters making the engine sound lower, more rumbly. Fister does not, so will sound higher pitched - more "exotic" sounding. Now the Fabspeeds do not use much muffler, so it is not as noticeable as to other systems using absorption mufflers.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:52 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

When I first bought my car, my friend said the RSR muffler, at idle, had a deep rumble, almost like a V8, and I agree.
Really opens up at full throttle, 4000 on up is great!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:14 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Make these or have them made. Very easy to do. I made mine in Feb 07 and there still perfect. At idle is the loudest. Smooths out and is not to loud once underway. May set off adjacent car alarms when parking
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2014, 04:51 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ms9811
Hi all;

Before the flaming begins, I know that this subject has been dealt with in the forums, but I cannot seems to find answers to my sepecific questions. Please bear with me if I missed it somewhere.

I have a 1/96 production C2 (Bischoff). I installed the Motorsound airbox (just the airbox cover, not any other part of the system) but it is otherwise bone stock. I love the car, but feel that I would like a little different exhaust note. I am almost embarrassed to admit that increasing power and decreasing weight are not factors for me. It is all about the sound.

What I am looking for is a raspy, hollow, crisp sound as opposed to a deep, rumbly, V8 sound and, most importantly, lots of popping or burbling when I lift out of the throttle. Partial throttle application sound is more important than WOT since my car already makes nice noises when I get into it.

What I DON'T want is a deep, rumbly sound that some of these systems advertise. I am also not interested in a huge increase in noise so as not to wake the neighbors or law enforcement or to make myself feel self conscious.

I have tried to find videos of the Fister Stage I and II compared to stock and of the Fabspeed running stock mufflers with or without upgraded cats, but those videos just don't seem to tell me what I am looking for. It is just very hard from the descriptions in these videos to determine (i) if the video is with or without cats (ii) if the muffler is stock or aftermarket. From what I've heard I am NOT interested in changing the stock mufflers out unless it is the best way to give me the specific results I am looking for.

Regarding Fabspped, I was wondering if/how their crossover differs in sound quality from the stock Bischoff setup which has no separating wall between the pipes leading from one bank to the other.

Any thoughts/guidance/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even if all you do is tell me where to look to get an answer. I am happy to be educated, so don't worry if you have a response that seems like it should have been obvious to me.

I have been on may car club forums in the past and I can tell you that this seems to be the most informative one I've encountered. Thanks in advance for your help.
Our Mufflers offer a similar tone to factory, just more pronounced. I would say there are many ways to attain your sound goals -you can do it with mufflers alone, but if you run with stock cats, it will be loud under full throttle. My suggestion would be our new style sport cat X, with non factory (Fabspeed or other) mufflers. Our new style X offers more burble on decel than the old version.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:38 PM
ms9811
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. I was trying to avoid this becoming another of those "what sounds best" threads by being as detailed as I could with regard to the sound I was looking for and the setups I was considering to achieve that specific sound. I didn't want to bore anyone or use up bandwidth doing yet another generalized exhaust thread. Everyone has opinions as to what they like, which is why I mentioned that I was specifically NOT looking for a lower or deeper sound and was thinking about a system that uses the stock muffler unless I went with the Fister. I appreciate that some may like the deep tone or loud setups better, but I do not. I am looking for the setup that will give me the most crisp tone and lift/part throttle burble with the least increase in total volume. I would love any advice that can help me get that result including any previous posts that actually have the sounds of the setups I described.

Chris: I will try to get in touch with you next week to discuss your recommendations if that is OK.

Don't get me wrong - I appreciate any and all suggestions. Keep 'em coming!
Old 01-04-2014, 12:41 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

But that is how any thread featuring your sort of questions will turn out. It will all be anecdotal discussion about what others have seen or done, on a VERY subjective subject.

IMO, your only true option is to listen to a variety of cars-in person-and determine what YOU like.

Originally Posted by ms9811
Thanks for the replies. I was trying to avoid this becoming another of those "what sounds best" threads by being as detailed as I could with regard to the sound I was looking for and the setups I was considering to achieve that specific sound. I didn't want to bore anyone or use up bandwidth doing yet another generalized exhaust thread. Everyone has opinions as to what they like, which is why I mentioned that I was specifically NOT looking for a lower or deeper sound and was thinking about a system that uses the stock muffler unless I went with the Fister. I appreciate that some may like the deep tone or loud setups better, but I do not. I am looking for the setup that will give me the most crisp tone and lift/part throttle burble with the least increase in total volume. I would love any advice that can help me get that result including any previous posts that actually have the sounds of the setups I described.

Chris: I will try to get in touch with you next week to discuss your recommendations if that is OK.

Don't get me wrong - I appreciate any and all suggestions. Keep 'em coming!
Old 01-04-2014, 03:33 AM
saneproductions
Racer

I have the exact same setup as you and listened to lots of exhaust at the recent Seattle 993 meetup. I like the stage II with 10 cell cats the most
Old 01-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

It's too bad you are in Arizona as you could cruise by fabspeed Motorsport and sample my two 993 cars and we could swap out 993 exhaust systems so you could dial in the sound that you might like.

In any event I made detailed videos of my 993 cabriolet and 993 RS Clubsport 3.8 Andial built clone car and you can perhaps ascertain the sound combinations you might like. Fabspeed manufacturers many Porsche 993 exhaust components and these all sound different when installed and sampled separately.

If you are running the stock cats then we offer two styles of rear 993 mufflers. The original system I built way back in 1994 was the fabspeed 993 Supercup which makes the car sound exactly like a 993 factory Supercup race car. After that we have Maxflo mufflers.

Next one would logically replace the restrictive heavy long 993 OEM catalytic converters with either our cat bypass pipes straight pipes or HJS Germany 200 cell ultra high flow catalytic converters. These parts in conjunction with rear muffler choices make for different sound levels.

From mild sports car sound (stock rear 993 cats and fabspeed maxflo mufflers) to all out race competition agrresive loud and very lightweight which would be fabspeed cat-bypass pipes x pipe along with Fabspeed Supercup mufflers its all a choice dictated by what is installed on the engine.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 01-04-2014, 01:01 PM
ms9811
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joe@Fabspeed
It's too bad you are in Arizona as you could cruise by fabspeed Motorsport and sample my two 993 cars and we could swap out 993 exhaust systems so you could dial in the sound that you might like.

In any event I made detailed videos of my 993 cabriolet and 993 RS Clubsport 3.8 Andial built clone car and you can perhaps ascertain the sound combinations you might like. Fabspeed manufacturers many Porsche 993 exhaust components and these all sound different when installed and sampled separately.

If you are running the stock cats then we offer two styles of rear 993 mufflers. The original system I built way back in 1994 was the fabspeed 993 Supercup which makes the car sound exactly like a 993 factory Supercup race car. After that we have Maxflo mufflers.

Next one would logically replace the restrictive heavy long 993 OEM catalytic converters with either our cat bypass pipes straight pipes or HJS Germany 200 cell ultra high flow catalytic converters. These parts in conjunction with rear muffler choices make for different sound levels.

From mild sports car sound (stock rear 993 cats and fabspeed maxflo mufflers) to all out race competition agrresive loud and very lightweight which would be fabspeed cat-bypass pipes x pipe along with Fabspeed Supercup mufflers its all a choice dictated by what is installed on the engine.
I think it is probably best if I call. I was just wondering what the fabspeed xpipe combined with stock mufflers would sound like with or without any combination of (i) the stock cats (if that is even possible) (ii) the bypass straight pipe (iii) the 200 cats, remembering that I am looking for a raspy, crisp non-deep sound that has as much burbling on the overrun as possible.

Thanks again.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:54 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:52 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

Your description of the sound quality you are looking for describe what I have perfectly. I have rsr modified mufflers with fabspeed cat bypass. It is perfect. I think the biggest change by far came from the cat bypass. Its nearly as good a sound with their sport cat and their latest system gives you both so you can try either. The sport cat smells as clean as stock. The bypass smells uh like a precat era car. But nothing really in the car.
I have previously had experience with stock, motor sound (which with the porsche wide ovals offers a similar raspy sound actually if you want to stay all stock but still quite a bit reserved), fabspeed maxflo (great sound not so much off throttle burbling though and there is still some drone below 3000 rpm that makes 6th gear unusable under 75-80 mph), fabspeed supercup (laugh out loud fun, amazing - but antisocial honestly at least for me) and finally what I have now which isnt offensive and bring compliments at any DE event or gathering.
Its away for the winter here and I don't think I have a good sound clip but I though some of the fabspeed sites had some similar. Its a very subjective thing and the only reason I replied was because your description was so clear and described mine exactly.
Bill
Old 01-05-2014, 02:17 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile I must chime in…well anyway...

I have tried them all, and I mean all. What I have now I will stick with, and not that any of the other are bad, it's just what I have found what sounds best to me. Fabspeed X pipe, Fabspeed 200 cell sports and Fabspeed Maxflow mufflers.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:48 AM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my favourite is the Dach X-pipe (200cell) and RSR combo - here a sound clip on the old C2 from a few years ago
Old 01-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by clib
Your description of the sound quality you are looking for describe what I have perfectly. I have rsr modified mufflers with fabspeed cat bypass. It is perfect. I think the biggest change by far came from the cat bypass. Its nearly as good a sound with their sport cat and their latest system gives you both so you can try either. The sport cat smells as clean as stock. The bypass smells uh like a precat era car. But nothing really in the car.
I have previously had experience with stock, motor sound (which with the porsche wide ovals offers a similar raspy sound actually if you want to stay all stock but still quite a bit reserved), fabspeed maxflo (great sound not so much off throttle burbling though and there is still some drone below 3000 rpm that makes 6th gear unusable under 75-80 mph), fabspeed supercup (laugh out loud fun, amazing - but antisocial honestly at least for me) and finally what I have now which isnt offensive and bring compliments at any DE event or gathering.
Its away for the winter here and I don't think I have a good sound clip but I though some of the fabspeed sites had some similar. Its a very subjective thing and the only reason I replied was because your description was so clear and described mine exactly.
Bill
I was thinking the same. I have the fabspeed cat bypass x-pipe and LPMM stock mufflers. Exactly the sound you are after.

Quick Reply: Exhaust comparison advice