Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Rear Seat Delete - Anyone fabricate a facsimile?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:29 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ Would they sell their templates?
Old 01-04-2014, 03:26 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Unfortunately, they don't have any. They had an arrangement with a wood working shop that discontinued and did not retain the templates :-( I tried...
Old 01-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

What is a real deal RSD worth nowadays?
Old 01-04-2014, 04:39 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Whatever somebody is willing to pay for one. There was one at eBay forever that just sold. Asking was $1200 I think. A few years ago I saw them going for $750. Maybe $1,000 is "reasonable"?
Old 01-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Van1
Drifting

Weird, rear seat delete option ran about the same as both sport seats back in the day or around $700. Now sport seats are worth several thousand and RSD is only worth a few dollars more that than new. Honestly, the RSD prices seem realistic, its the sport seat prices that are redonculas. But I'm still waiting for RSD prices to become crazy, then I will consider selling mine.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:57 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Van1
Weird, rear seat delete option ran about the same as both sport seats back in the day or around $700. Now sport seats are worth several thousand and RSD is only worth a few dollars more that than new. Honestly, the RSD prices seem realistic, its the sport seat prices that are redonculas. But I'm still waiting for RSD prices to become crazy, then I will consider selling mine.
Since these cars are nearly 20 years old, I think the prices are as crazy as they are going to get. Sure, they may appreciate more, but to use your example, it's clear sports seats are going to be, and remain, more valuable than an RSD box, even though they were priced similarly when new.

If you're holding on to your RSD box hoping that the price of it will approach that of the sports seat prices of today, you probably have a decade(s) long wait ahead of you
Old 01-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Van1
Drifting

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Since these cars are nearly 20 years old, I think the prices are as crazy as they are going to get. Sure, they may appreciate more, but to use your example, it's clear sports seats are going to be, and remain, more valuable than an RSD box, even though they were priced similarly when new.

If you're holding on to your RSD box hoping that the price of it will approach that of the sports seat prices of today, you probably have a decade(s) long wait ahead of you
I know, I'm just dreaming with my RSD. I'm just upset that a previous owner swapped out the sport seats that my car was delivered with for the standard seats that his C2S came with.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 246 Posts

I love my RSD... I found a nice RSA version & trimmed the sides for a nice fit and also removed the center hump. I had originally hoped that I could make it fit without having to remove the rear seat bases - nope.... Ron - be aware that you'll have to go through this PITA as I don't think there's going to be enough room (even with an 'L' panel) to obtain a secure footing with the bases in place.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 380 Posts

To keep things simple, I think the goal should be getting to a point where we can get a CAD file that can be open sourced for everyone to use. With that file of the major panels, anyone can then find a local shop to fab the pieces, customize to their liking, and from there you have many options from assembling everything yourself, choosing your covering material, etc. to outsourcing it all. Without the CAD files/templates we are all SOL.

We need someone with a 993 RSD to "donate" their unit for measurement purposes. jstyer has already offered to donate his CAD skills and is located in Houston. If we can find someone in the Houston area with an RSD, we have critical mass to get this project off the ground.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:51 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vincer77
That be great!. Let me know when it is convenient for you.
No problem Vince. Lets see how the weather goes,and maybe we can get together this week.

Emerald
Old 01-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Subscribed...
Old 01-06-2014, 03:34 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I have built a few of these - it's not that hard to do a template using some standard woodworking tools to fit the profile of the opening (like a pin profile tool). The ones I built had tops that opened, and no front doors. Even some errors in profiles/etc. is quickly covered up when the assembly is covered in carpeting that matched the car.

The hard part is the doors I think. If you want it to look like the original RSD, then you need the doors and plastic trim pieces. The doors are curved and there is a left and right. There is also a center piece. I do not think they are available from Porsche anymore, so I think there are two options - one is to have duplicates built using a plastic moulding process, which would be really expensive, or find a common door (like a glove box door) from some car what is cheap so it can be ordered to build RSD's.

I do not have time these days to put towards a project like this, so it's very interesting to see what the group comes up with ...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-06-2014, 06:32 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Mike - is there any way for you to just "oversee" a project like this with say a local-to-you shop? I do think the objective is to find one base product that fits most people's desires. And that might be a solid top with 2 rectangular openings facing the seats. Then with those fabricated, people can then decide if they want to add their own doors, carpet everything, whatever.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RonCT
Mike - is there any way for you to just "oversee" a project like this with say a local-to-you shop? I do think the objective is to find one base product that fits most people's desires. And that might be a solid top with 2 rectangular openings facing the seats. Then with those fabricated, people can then decide if they want to add their own doors, carpet everything, whatever.
Sure, I can contribute in Feb, but am off to Asia travelling for almost a month, leaving this week.

I was going to build another one for the Turbo in the Spring anyways - and have been walking around junk yards trying to find glovebox or similar doors that would look right. No luck yet - that would be a great contribution is someone would find something that looks right that has a good supply.

I think a flat front looks a bit angular for the car, it may need to be curved. I was thinking of using some sheet aluminum to form the doors, since you could glue your choice of materials to it (like carpet, vinyl or leather) to give it that finished look. The door would have to have a built up edge to also look more substantial, and the hinges would have to be hidden inside (hate when you see the piano hinges for example).

One of my friends locally has an RSD, I could use it as a template, but again that would not start until Feb at the earliest.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RonCT
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Sure, I can contribute in Feb, but am off to Asia travelling for almost a month, leaving this week.

I was going to build one for the Turbo in the Spring anyways - and have been walking around junk yards trying to find glovebox or similar doors that would look right. No luck yet - that would be a great contribution is someone would find something that looks right that has a good supply.

I think a flat front looks a bit angular for the car, it may need to be curved. I was thinking of using some sheet aluminum to form the doors, since you could glue your choice of materials to it (like carpet, vinyl or leather) to give it that finished look. The door would have to have a built up edge to also look more substantial, and the hinges would have to be hidden inside (hate when you see the piano hinges for example).

One of my friends locally has an RSD, I could use it as a template, but again that would not start until Feb at the earliest.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Rear Seat Delete - Anyone fabricate a facsimile?