Oil weight; What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, sent you a PM

Originally Posted by Mike J
It's not just the zinc, the V-twin formulation is really good at handling heat spikes without losing too much of its characteristics because it's designed for air-cooled motorcycle engines - and we essentially drive cars with very big motorcycle engines.. . That is why its especially popular with us Turbo owners due to the hot spots in the turbos, and the lack of after-run oil circulation for the turbo bearings after shut-off ; the static oil around the turbo bearings have to take the heat without major deterioration. There is a study document done by Amsoil called "A study of motorcycle oils" which has some really interesting data. I knows its likely biased but it seem balanced. It's too bad it did not extend to automobile oils. V-twin did quite well. You should be able to see it here: http://wpc.1c96.edgecastcdn.net/001C...ved/index.html Their library of oil studies is here: http://www.amsoil.com/performancetestarchives.aspx Cheers, Mike
Old 02-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by m_a_saunders
The garage that takes car of my car uses Motul 300v Competition 15W50.
Cheers, Mark
If one has the budget, there is nothing better.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:01 PM
Randall921
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
If one has the budget, there is nothing better.
Steve, do you still recommend Redline 15w50?
Old 02-25-2014, 06:31 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

The only way to really confirm/deny an oil is good is to have some sort of study that confirms the conclusion.

So, for me personally, I have been doing Blackstone oil analysis reports on each oil change on the Turbo since I bought it over two years ago, that is three changes so far. The first one, right when I got it, was a generic Mobil 1 oil, and some of my metals were higher than average. Over the next three changes using V-twin, the metals reduced, and now they are lower than average for this engine. I do not know if another brand, such as Motul, would have done the same or better, but I do know the result of using Vtwin, and I do not see any reason to change now.

Unfortunately, the data sample size has to be quite large to really conclude anything. Engine inspections can be used but taken with a grain of salt since the history of the engine and its previous oil changes would have to be well understood - i.e. concluding that, for a worn 100,000 mile engine with various oils being used with the last 5 changes with Mobile 1,that the Mobile 1 was the problem.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Oil weight; What would you do?