993 Forum 1995-1998

993 GT2 EVO build thread "Winter project 2014"

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-Basti
I do not really race it often anymore, but once in a year I take it out. This year I did a guest start in the STT at the Nürburgring. Here is the Video from it:
That's cool! Thanks for posting the video! I plan to race in STT as well. Do you know which class my car would go into? Any limitations I should note while building the car?

How much hp in your GT2?
Old 12-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

I'm looking to change the front from '97 to the '98 style...I believe the latter one has improved oil cooling, as you can see from the ducting in the bumper:

Haven't really ever had any issues with engine cooling with two coolers and 400hp. But the GT2 engine is another story...
Attached Images    
Old 12-07-2014, 05:20 PM
porsche993gtrsr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not really race it often anymore, but once in a year I take it out. This year I did a guest start in the STT at the Nürburgring. Here is the Video from it:
No way, That was the only weekend I didnt go to Germany with my dad, he drove one of te 2 red 964's and when he came back and I saw the pictures i noticed your 993.

I hope you enjoyed driving with the STT and that we can see you next Season more often and have a battle with 993's

I also heard it is a replica build with original Parts ? Dont know if that is true
Old 12-07-2014, 05:34 PM
porsche993gtrsr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Juha G
I'm looking to change the front from '97 to the '98 style...I believe the latter one has improved oil cooling, as you can see from the ducting in the bumper:

Haven't really ever had any issues with engine cooling with two coolers and 400hp. But the GT2 engine is another story...
With the '97 front we dont have anny issues with cooling, temps are perfect, if I'm right you can also but the '97 bumper with internal ducting to and from the oil cooler.

But some say that the '98 is better in aërodynamic, we went for the look
Old 12-10-2014, 02:32 PM
RS-Basti
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always depends how you define a replica ;-)
The car has been built in 98 for Wieth Racing by german companies Roitmayer and Herberth Motorsport to compete in the german GTP series and the FIA GT WC. They basically were ordering the GT2 too late (back then the car had to be ordered and paid before the summer holidays in order to get a car beginning of the next year) and could not get a factory car. The whole car has been built by completely using factory parts. Because Porsche did not do any further developments on the GT2 most cars were from then on built by motorsports companies, like the Roock cars, which also do not have Porsche factory VINs. The only difference from my car to a factory GT2 Evo is the VIN. The car has been raced in the 99 and 2000 FIA GT WC and had some top 10 finishes and one 5th place at Spielberg. The car is really fast and has 740hp and 980Nm in the current spec. The Problem is that the gearbox cant handle the power and that I almost need as much time to shift between the gears as to accelerate between the gears ;-)
Old 12-10-2014, 02:34 PM
RS-Basti
Intermediate

here are some pics from the FIA GT
Attached Images      
Old 12-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowflying
Still a replica, albeit a hell of a good one!!
Not a replica but a one-off race car built to spec (with a proper racing history) by a professional racing team. =lot more than just a replica IMHO.

Last edited by Juha G; 12-16-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:11 PM
Callahan993
AutoX

Originally Posted by Juha G
Not a replica but a one-off race car built to spec (with a proper racing history) by a professional racing team. =lot more than just a replica IMHO.
+993!
Old 12-17-2014, 02:47 PM
porsche993gtrsr
Instructor

I always depends how you define a replica ;-)
The car has been built in 98 for Wieth Racing by german companies Roitmayer and Herberth Motorsport to compete in the german GTP series and the FIA GT WC. They basically were ordering the GT2 too late (back then the car had to be ordered and paid before the summer holidays in order to get a car beginning of the next year) and could not get a factory car. The whole car has been built by completely using factory parts. Because Porsche did not do any further developments on the GT2 most cars were from then on built by motorsports companies, like the Roock cars, which also do not have Porsche factory VINs. The only difference from my car to a factory GT2 Evo is the VIN. The car has been raced in the 99 and 2000 FIA GT WC and had some top 10 finishes and one 5th place at Spielberg. The car is really fast and has 740hp and 980Nm in the current spec. The Problem is that the gearbox cant handle the power and that I almost need as much time to shift between the gears as to accelerate between the gears ;-)
Thanks for the info, yours is definitely more than a replica
Once i saw a advertisement of it, a year ago, was it yours then ?

740 hp is a lot !!! nice !!, is your engine build by RS Tuning ?

Another question do you experience a lot of bumpsteer ? we have a lot of trouble with that, nice to hear the experience from some one who drives a near identical car

And juha ? any updates ? which bumper are you going for ?
Old 12-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porsche993gtrsr

Another question do you experience a lot of bumpsteer ? we have a lot of trouble with that, nice to hear the experience from some one who drives a near identical car
Looking at the photos of your GT2...the front wheels have a big lip (i.e. small offset)...Is the front suspension in it's outer position?
You can check this very easily from the front compartment by looking at where the front suspension longitudinal subframes are bolted. If they are on the outer positions, then the problem is elsewhere. But, if they are bolted to the inner positions, you must have severe bump steer problems with the car with those huge front wheels.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

And juha ? any updates ? which bumper are you going for ?
I ordered some nice carbon fibre bits from Hans...

It will be '98 style front with the cooling ducts etc. I also bought new front fenders with integrated flares and new rear flares + side skirts. Then I have everything from Hans. And everything in carbon.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

I'm trying to make a decision regarding the pedal box to use.
I've been looking at the Tilton 900 series and AP Racing reverse pull (CP5516-7).
The AP pedal box is over 2.5x the price of the Tilton... I know the AP one is REALLY good but I'm still having hard time convincing my self it is worth the price tag, which with the master cylinders is almost 5k eur...

Any comments would be appreciated!

http://tiltonracing.com/product/900-...edal-assembly/

http://www.apracing.com/product_deta...ree_pedal.aspx

Old 12-17-2014, 04:19 PM
porsche993gtrsr
Instructor

nice, all carbon parts !!

Well with the pedal box, why not go with the standard ? (don't know the benefits of these above )
Old 12-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Well with the pedal box, why not go with the standard ? (don't know the benefits of these above )
Well, the original system a little complicated with the master cylinder located transverse along with the huge vacuum booster (which is not going back on the car). I am also leaving out the street car ABS.

The benefit of the pedal box is you have full adjustment over brake pessure, brake bias and also pedal ergonomics.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:42 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't used the 900 Tilton... But I've had some experience with the 600 series in a 911. Fit and feel were awesome. Super easy to switch out masters (even easier on the 900) and zero slop or play.

Their customer service was excellent when it came to choosing master cylinders. They have an engineer who has a wicked spreadsheet when it comes to picking diameters. I think we ended up either 3/4, 3/4 or 3/4, 7/8 on a 2700lb car with 993C2 brakes with full lockup at 100 lbs of pedal force with R compounds. The masters recommended were right on the money the first time, only a little change on the balance bar.

Can't speak to how easy it is to retrofit the brake light contact switch, as we went the pressure switch route.

I'll definitely be going with Tilton when I man up and go to dual masters.

Quick Reply: 993 GT2 EVO build thread "Winter project 2014"