993 Forum 1995-1998

How to fit 993 front bumper to wing (fender) seals

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:19 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Perfect timing! Thanks. Ill be doing this next week. I still don't understand Mikes comment "I usually have to pull the center top of the cover up to take away some width to place the bumper between the metal fenders. " but Im sure it will be obvious when I get to it.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:04 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraX
Perfect timing! Thanks. Ill be doing this next week. I still don't understand Mikes comment "I usually have to pull the center top of the cover up to take away some width to place the bumper between the metal fenders. " but Im sure it will be obvious when I get to it.
Translation: You might have to flex up the centre of the bumper to narrow the width of it slightly to ease the fitting between the nose sections of the front fenders. It's a snug fit. Unfortunately I missed photographing the fit of the bumper as I was tied up dealing with a customer.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:10 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Colin. Now I understand!
Old 11-20-2013, 11:34 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great write up and pics on that. Loved it. Took me two tries to get it right. I had the glue come off when sliding the bumper into its location. The rubber held best with staples, tucking all the staple ends in was a must.

great job and thanks for posting this
Old 11-20-2013, 11:42 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

It's interesting to see how the ledge wall where the seal nests varies in height getting taller as it curves up towards the hood. That obviously causes the finished seal to appear 'deeper' into the gap from the headlight inboard and I think a lot of people fight that ...
Old 11-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Jupiterfish
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

that is the most over thought process I have seen in my life. no wonder they are not perfectly fit around the bumper. I would have thought an aftermarket company would have came up with a custom shape rubber molding that would just encapsulate the bumper inner lip and forgo all the hand settings (human error) and staples. That is awesome to see how its done and such a technical application for something simple like a front bumper. thanks for the insights.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:58 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
It's interesting to see how the ledge wall where the seal nests varies in height getting taller as it curves up towards the hood. That obviously causes the finished seal to appear 'deeper' into the gap from the headlight inboard and I think a lot of people fight that ...
I notice this. Particularly on light cars. Are there any tweaks that can be done about that? Or is it just best to live with it.

(+Thanks to Colin for detailing such a finicky DIY. )
Old 11-20-2013, 01:42 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ It's the way it's designed. If you look at cars that still have their original, unaltered factory installed bumpers and seals, they look the same.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:45 PM
lopro
Banned

Originally Posted by Jupiterfish
that is the most over thought process I have seen in my life. no wonder they are not perfectly fit around the bumper. I would have thought an aftermarket company would have came up with a custom shape rubber molding that would just encapsulate the bumper inner lip and forgo all the hand settings (human error) and staples. That is awesome to see how its done and such a technical application for something simple like a front bumper. thanks for the insights.
to me this is what is nice about this car, they did do with their hands and care sadly after 993 much of this kinda love was lost. oh dear im becoming true aircooled
Old 11-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Great How to/DIY thread!
Old 11-21-2013, 01:49 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Colin thank you so much for contributing to this board as much as you do and posting up this thread at my request. I for one appreciate the time you have put into doing this

Below is pictures of my job following a full respray. We live in a small town community and so the painters who did a great job did their best to get everything right as we all know each other and look after each other.

They had two attempts and several hours at positioning the bumper rubber and the pics below are the end result. Rather than have them try more I thought it best to see if they were just going about it the wrong way. So your thread is invaluable. Like most people they have simply used an adhesive only.

I'm going to do the job myself and see if I can get a better result. The worst area is where the rubber terminates at the corner of the bonnet where there simply doesn't seem enough room or "width" for the rubber itself.

The other issue was the sunroof felt which now sits proud and had excess adhesive visible. Those that have priced this felt up will know that its not cheap so I'm hoping that I can use a adhesive remover and clean it off the felt when I remove it from the sunroof to refit. Will removal and refit even be possible?
Attached Images       
Old 11-21-2013, 01:53 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Thought I should post up the overall finished result.

Mods done while at the painters.
1) Removed headlight washers nozzles.
2) Installed brake cooling ducts, ducting and new side lights.
3) Removed rear basket handle.
4) Removed all US bumperettes and filled bumpers.

I also replaced all rubbers, gaskets, badges etc. All parts supplied by Darin @ http://fdmotorsports.net/ who was great to deal with as usual (No affiliation etc etc).
Attached Images  

Last edited by Kiwi Carguy; 11-21-2013 at 04:12 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:45 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You should be able to re-use the sunroof seal Kiwi provided that you take it off carefully. The secret with the front seal of the sunroof is that the top of the radius of the seal should be flush with the outer face of the roof, which means that you should apply adhesive to the flat section of the seal only, apply masking tape 2-3mm down from the roof face, then apply adhesive below that. The rear seal on the sunroof itself fits in a similar manner.

We have found that some of the new sunroof seals are coming in with a fractionally thicker profile than the original seals that can cause problems with the closure of the roof. The symptom is that the roof will stop short of fully closed unless you apply a little upward pressure from below. The remedy here is to either re-use an old seal if it is good enough or somehow flatten the new seal slightly before it is applied.

If I remember, the next time we fit a sunroof I will post another how-to thread since this and the bumper seals are the two tiny details that let can down a lot of rebuilt or repainted 993s.

Last edited by NineMeister; 11-21-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:01 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

How about some additional pictures of the green car. Looks very cool.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:45 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CarreraX
How about some additional pictures of the green car. Looks very cool.
Knock yourself out:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...y-project.html

Quick Reply: How to fit 993 front bumper to wing (fender) seals