Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: How did you buy your first Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 01:05 PM
Kristoffer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I probably have the best story IMO. I like every man in the world have wanted p-car since before I was driving. I had come very very close to buying a 930 in 93 ish but the salesman was a slime ball so I walked away. Then I got married & had 2 kids so my dream was gone forever!! I make a very good living (as we all do ) but with a family I could not justify in my own mind spending the money on a p-car when I could spend it on some many other things for my family. Thats where my wife comes in. Knowing what I has always longed for she (with the help of my father to keep from getting screwed) goes out & buys the car for my B-Day!!! My work takes me out of town for the 5 weeks surrounding my b-day so she drives up with the family every year to spend the weekend with me & what does she pull up in I can honestly say MY WIFE ROCKS!!! So I'll be keeping her around for awhile
Old 07-31-2003, 01:16 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

I did research on cars for about a year and a half before finding mine. I wanted a Porsche, loved the looks, but had no idea of model numbers, 964's, 993's, 996's....

Fell in love with the looks of the 993's and it took me another few months to figure out the whole C2, C2s, C4...etc. I wish I had discovered this forum before buying.

I happened to hit it off on the phone and then in person with Brian Culligan, the owner of AutoPlace Porsche in Williamsville (Buffalo) NY.
Brian promised to keep an eye out for a "known" 993 for me. A few days before Christmas 2001 I'm at the office about 5 PM or so and Brian calls. He said "your car just came in". One owner, 19,000 miles 1997 Arena Red. Brian had sold a 996TT to this guy who had my car since new. Actually had (probably still does) a 993 cab as well. Hence low miles on mine.

Brian was in his office and said "Mike, there's 8' of snow outside my window (true - worse snowfall in Buffalo history 12/01) and I'll have this car till April". He offered it to me for $48,000 sight unseen and I told him to put $1,000 on my cc as deposit.

Went to inspect the car the next weekend with help from a great tech in Syracuse. The car was like new. 18" tech wheels, Classic gray interior. Brian installed the factory 6 cd changer for me and fixed a small cam cover oil leak. That was it.

Best "shoot from the hip" purchase I ever did. And the most fum I've ever had buying a car.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:23 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Cool put your $ where your mouth is!

I used to subscribed to European Car magazine and began reading a series of articles on their "project 911". Next thing you know, I had this crazy idea in my head that I should get a 10+ year old 911.

A guy that worked out at the same gym as me had this great 964 Cab that he never drove - left covered in his garage. I used to tease him daily about taking care of "my" car for me. So one day, he asks me if I'm ready to put my money where my mouth is. I was excited, but she-who-must-be-obeyed thought I was being an @ss! Why did I want to spend that kind of $$$ on a 12 year old car, with no warranty and potentially huge repair bills.

Nedless to say we eventually got the car, joined PCA, and now we autocross and D.E. together - we've had an absolute blast!
Old 07-31-2003, 02:01 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After lusting after a 911 for years, I almost bought one in '94 but waited too long and the stock options became worthless when the company fell apart. Two years ago a good friend decided to sell his low milage 993 as he was taking delivery of a new 996tt. I was happy to take it off his hands. I can't believe I went all those years without one as the car is just too damn much fun.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:26 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, rather a long story.
Odd isn't it for some. Never intended to buy a Porsche initially and was thinking of a Honda S2000 when I stumbled across a dealer in Engalnad selling LHD Porsches. Saw a mint 964 Turbo 3.3 and my wife told me to get it as I deserved to reward myself. Sadly (at the time) some other lucky fellow snapped it up. Never again came across a similar conditioned car and started looking for a 964RS without much luck and then I happen to come across the GT Purely Porsche magazine which featured the 964RS and a Riviera Blue 993RS which I fell in love with and had to have (by now the cost was spiralling way above what I had budgeted for). Having found such a car unfortunately it was snapped up by someone else.....Several months went by and by then my delusions of grandeur was getting well out of hand. By then I was looking to Europe to acquire one of these machines. I had a black 993RS PPId and I gave it a miss and stumbled across a guards red RS on a German internet site (I initially did not want a white, silver or a red one!). Got in touch with the owner and he persuaded me to fly out to see it and I duely obliged. WOW!!!! just had to buy it. This was January 03. The car went to Stuttgart to have the cable recall done in February and was inspected there. The owner was told not to sell the car if he could possibly keep it but by then the unjustified Iraq war was starting to gather momentum and the economy in Germany was looking rather gloomy so lucky me I got the car! Went out in April to collect the car rather nervously since the last time I drove in Europe many years ago, I almost crashed TWICE in 5 minutes (bloody novice!!). The drive back to Scotland will be the most memorable drive of my life. I did however manage to take a wrong turn and completely miss the Autobahn.........before driving along the excellent Autoroute in France. All in all a priceless experience and I have made a new friend in Germany!

Harry
Old 07-31-2003, 11:39 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Well my story is the same but different. In 1968 I bought a silver 62 356 S90. Traded in a 63 TR4, had a 59 MGB before that. Always liked "sport cars" - Dad hated them. Enjoyed the the English ones, but was forever changed by the Porsche. The engineering and form, fit and function made me a Porsche addict for life. Also changed my life - decided I would be an engineer in spite of advise from my family. Went to school, got BS and MS in Mechanical Engineering. Today I am the Manager of the Los Alamos National Lab. I owe it all to Porsche - not kidding, owning that car changed my life. I will never be without a Porsche, even when I can drive no more.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:09 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a bank loan, just like it was a Toyota.

When I first became a Porsche fan, it was sort of by accident. I used to watch LeMans, Daytona, Sebring, and other prototype racing. I always rooted for Ferrari and got pissed when Porsche won. So over time I grudgingly became a Porsche fan. I didn't even know Porsche made road cars for several years. I thought they only made 904's, 908's, and 917's. What a surprise to learn they made something called a 911 for road use. It looked kind of funny though. It took a few years before it grew on me.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:49 PM
Patricia
Racer

I was in college in 1968, I don't think there were any Porsches in the town I grew up in - certainly none in our neighborhood. The first Porsche I ever saw in person was a white 356 at the apartment complex where my best friend lived, and I used to drool over it. After that, I watched and drooled over all the different Porsches over the years, but a combination of finances and circumstances (broke to having kids) kept having a Porsche a dream. Over the years, I looked at magazines, collected Skip Barber school brochures, followed Janet Guthrie and Lyn St. James, and drove carpool - a 1980 Volvo wagon, to be exact. In 1992, I took over hubby's '88 Acura Legend coupe when he got a company car.

In 1998, we were looking for a new car for our (#2 of 3) son, when hubby came up with what has to be the best idea ever. Our baby was in high school, and I no longer needed to drive carpool (what a relief!) We'd talked about a new car for me in a year or so, why not let our son take my car and buy me a new one now? He then insisted I look at the Boxster, knowing how much I loved Porsches, and how much I had missed my little convertible ('70 Fiat 850 Sypder) that I gave up when our first was born. So, for my 50th birthday and 30th wedding anniversary, he bought me my Arena Red/Grey/Grey Boxster. And that's where the story really begins . . .

Pat
Old 08-02-2003, 12:39 AM
911MSN
Advanced

1998, my wife and i wanted to get a cab. we've looked several and 993 was the one we both liked. We ended up wiht 96 C4 cab. Good choice. Only probelm we have had was water pump for window wash.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:29 AM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Bought my first Porsche, a Guards or Signal (I can't remember which) red 356C, in 1970 with money I had saved by working while in high school and then carrying mail while I was in college. Had had an MG-A twin cam and a TR-3, but the 356 was love, almost better than sex. Actually, sometimes it was better than sex!
Old 01-29-2004, 08:04 PM
KatyTX
Advanced

Just bought mine today, a '96 993 TT w/ 25k. My first one. My wife doesn't even know yet, but she suspects I'm looking. I'm 41 and we have 4 small kids (most of the college funding is done already).

Do you think she'll flip out?

My motto is "It's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission" It worked on my $8,000 SeaDoo RXDI jetski. Let's hope it works again.

My first car was a 1969 firebird that I got in 1969 with my own hard earned money. I took 2 years of auto mechanics in high school. I also took chemistry, physics and calculus (I think I was the only one to do both the college / trade school curriculum). I rebuilt the engine and made it high performance by adding headers, Holly 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake,...

5 years ago I bought a used 1993 BMW Ci. Can you say V-12. Now can you say high maint, glad I had a good warranty. I got rid of it just before baby #4. But I got the sports car itch again. Two of my colleagues just bought Porsches. The wife of one said to my wife, "Better that than a girlfriend".

So here I am, waiting for delivery next week.

Tim
Old 01-29-2004, 08:40 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my first Porsche at 26. It was a 90 C4 Targa............ended up selling it 2 years later to my mechanic, then bought an 86 coupe a 95 993 and just bought yesterday an 87 cab. For some reason I get them just the way I want them and then sell them. Don't ask me why........stupid I guess!!
Old 01-29-2004, 08:42 PM
Bokonon
Instructor

Great stories.

I bought mine just this month off someone at work. I wasn't intending to buy one (though one of my favorite movies in high school was "No Mans Land" with Charlie Sheen. )

I bought my other toy (1977 Corvette) 3 months before the birth of my 1st son, so it only makes sense that I purchase this toy 3 months before the birth of my 2nd son. REALLY, I didn't plan it this way!
-terry
Old 01-30-2004, 04:36 AM
Solitude
Racer

Wanted to own a 993 before 40. Got mine at 6 month shy of 40th birthday. You know one of those Mid- life things....
Old 01-30-2004, 05:07 AM
Pete K
Pro

As a kid my dad had a 71 911 and then a 74 911, get this, they were company cars. .
One day I am out in the yard doing my weekly mowing chore and I hear this motorized scream coming up the hill, It sounded like a Porsche, but way too loud. I stood there waiting and what goes screaming by? First Mr Ellison in his 73 Targa, then dad in his signal yellow 71 followed closely by Mr Baker in his 66. Had I not already been hooked, this did it for sure.
Finally, last year for my 43rd Birthday I picked up my dream car.

Pete

Quick Reply: OT: How did you buy your first Porsche?