Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Air/Oil Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 993 Forum
Reload this Page >

Increase 993 chassis stability and enhance shifter feel and accuracy

Notices

Increase 993 chassis stability and enhance shifter feel and accuracy

Old 02-28-2016, 11:53 PM
Spokes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow Mount

Just got around installing my FF yellow mount. No more noticeable vibration inside the cabin, although I have the Rennline Tunable Mounts (Sport inserted) which did add a bit of vibration.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:25 PM
Magdaddy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just finished my install...very straight forward as mentioned. My factory mount looked in damn near perfect condition. This insert, probably isn't gonna be the only improvement I need to make to improve my noticeably reduced shifting precision.

Wevo's previously installed...now the F1 insert, two down, one to go.

Golden rod, here I come.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:02 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here are the install instructions for the 964/993 models...

TRANS MOUNT INSERT - 964/993 RWD Instructions

1. Remove under body covers including the tunnel cover.
2. Remove the shift linkage.
3. Remove the cross member that supports the under body panels and hvac pipes that's attached with 4 bolts near the rear suspension mounts.
4. Support the transmission with a floor jack and block of wood (or similar).
5. Remove the two bolts that hold the support arms inside the tunnel to the body.
6. Unbolt the lower small rubber longitudinal transmission support.
7. With the transmission supported by the floor jack and wood, remove the main transmission support cross beam.
8. Once you start lowering the floor jack, the nose of the transmission will come down. It will come down far enough to clear the tunnel and remove the bolt that is going through the main transmission mount. If necessary, pull the head of the bolt down at an angle to help facilitate it clearing the tunnel. (To make reinstallation easier, insert this bolt through the mount from the opposite side upon reassembly.)
9. Install both halves of the inserts into the mount - a little bit of dish soap will help them along.
10. Re-assemble everything in the reverse order of removal.

TRANS MOUNT INSERT - 964/993 AWD Instructions

1. Lift car, remove undertray (3 screws per side, 2x 10mm plastic nuts per side) to access transmission mount, and use a small jack to support the transmission!
2. Loosen 17mm center bolt/nut, but leave in.
3. Remove 6x 17mm bolts on transmission crossmember.
4. Remove center bolt and remove crossmember.
5. Remove 3x 15mm nuts from mount and slide mount off transmission.
6. Slide insert into mount (some dish soap helps).
7. Reinstall mount.
8. Tighten 3 nuts and torque to spec.
9. Position crossmember and slide center bolt through mount/crossmember. Then rotate crossmember up into position and put nut back on center bolt but leave loose.
10. Reinstall 6 crossmember mounting bolts and torque to spec.
11. Tighten center bolt and torque to spec.
12. Reinstall undertray.
13. Lower car and you're done!

aftermarket | porsche | performance | solutions

Old 07-28-2016, 07:11 PM
fsa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default FD v. Function First

Anyone have experience with FD's recently offered transmission mount and Function First?
'97 C4S
Old 07-29-2016, 08:37 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Folks, it's really poor form to sell stuff in a sponsor's (or another member's) thread. If you have an item to sell, please start a separate thread.

I deleted a For Sale post and did some thread clean up.

Thanks so much for understanding.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:24 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fsa View Post
Anyone have experience with FD's recently offered transmission mount and Function First?
'97 C4S
I just wanted to point out that our Transmission Mount Insert is used in tandem with the OEM bushing, so it's a supplement to what's already installed in your car. Aside from the performance and reliability enhancements - the benefit to the additive design is that no permanent change is made to your vehicle (preserving your car's value), and installation is far simplified - especially if you're working on jack stands!

Here's a picture of the TRACK hardness insert with an OEM 996 bushing (similar to 964/993) showing the fitment. That bushing is pressed into the transmission housing on 2WD models, and pressed into a bracket on the AWD models.

And here's an installed Trans Mount Insert from a 991. It just slides into the OEM bushing:

Old 05-14-2019, 05:56 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, have a question. With the existed RS motor mounts, will the trans still drop enough to remove the bolt?

thx
Old 05-15-2019, 09:00 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hn View Post
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, have a question. With the existed RS motor mounts, will the trans still drop enough to remove the bolt?

thx

Do you have a RWD or AWD model?

On AWD, the entire arm that the trans bushing is mounted into unbolts from the transmission.
On the RWD, the bushing is pressed into the belt housing. I cannot say for sure how low you can tilt the drivetrain with the RS engine mounts (maybe someone else can chime in), but the real key is to flex the trans bolt at an angle and downward to clear the tunnel. I have spoken with some folks that did have to lower the engine slightly to get this installed when they already had aftermarket semi-solid engine mounts, but I'm not sure if that would be the case with the RS mounts.

Upon reassembly, put the thru bolt in from the other side, since there's more clearance on the other side of the tunnel.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:33 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have rwd. I’ve been reading on this subject a lot, every instructions posted, but none mentioned about RS motor mounts. Maybe cutting the bolt might not be a bad idea. Do you know the size of the bolt?

thx.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Increase 993 chassis stability and enhance shifter feel and accuracy

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: