Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

tiptronic gear change question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 02:45 PM
hypeber
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Since it is adapativr can it be reset? I just bought one off my friend's dad. I doubt it he drove the car in tip mode .
Originally Posted by Aussie Alan 993
Hi,
First thing is you are unlikely to break anything unless you do something really silly, these tips are almost bullet proof. Second, D is for sissies and grandmas and third, it is something you will constantly refine with practice.

I always take off in 1st, I wish there was a way to reprogram our cars to shift back to 1st when they came to a standstill but for all my looking I have not found anything that worked.

Driving in manual mode is like driving a manual car in the way that you need to adapt the shift points to the conditions and the type of driving you are doing at that moment.

Lets say, you are at a stop light and want to take off slowly, well you don't redline it in 1st and 2nd, you would change from 1st to 2nd at about 2500 to 3000 rpm then to 3rd at the speed limit then to 4th if on a flat road.

Now lets say that you are the designated get away car driver from an armed holdup. This requires you to floor it in 1st, if you don't shift in time it will automatically shift to 2nd at the redline but you will have to do all the shifting from there, you can take it to the redline or shift sooner, its your choice. Also, if you floor it from a standing start in 2nd, it will automatically shift back to first for you.

These tips are adaptive to your driving style. the time it takes to shift depends on the aggression of your driving, the more aggressive you are, the sharper the shift it does. It also has lateral load sensors to sense if you are mid corner and will delay an up or down shift to not throw the balance of the car while cornering aggressively.

So to end the first lesson, use the lower gears for acceleration and power and the higher gears for speed and cruising, hold the lower gears longer with more gas for aggressive driving and change sooner with less gas for traffic and better fuel economy. Mostly, keep it smooth.

For your homework, find a hilly and curvy road that is at least 500 miles long and enjoy it several times being careful to not get any speeding tickets.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:54 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

What's going on that you want to reset? Just drive your way, it will adapt to your style (whether it's like you stole it or like driving Ms Daisy).
Old 09-02-2017, 02:57 PM
hypeber
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
What's going on that you want to reset? Just drive your way, it will adapt to your style (whether it's like you stole it or like driving Ms Daisy).
So it won't stick with the previous style and it will Lee adapting ?

Quick Reply: tiptronic gear change question