993 Forum 1995-1998

OT - For the Pilots at RL

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 06:51 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by cbcc
Never a good thing to loose such a beautiful Bird.
I fly a WWII Aeronca L3 - tail dragger that always keeps me honest.
She is not fast - 80 knts top speed , stall at 35 knts and always needs constant
flying down to shut down. For those pilots who are not tail drager certified - would highly recommend getting such certification.
I own a 1995 993 cab with manual transmission because I enjoy the organics of shifting and the sound of the flat six air knocker - much like my Aeronca L3. Hand propping is also very organic!
The L3 is a beautiful ship. Lucky guy - post a photo if you can. I have some tail dragger time in an AT6 - I had a "warbird" thing going for a while, but never soloed in it. Spolied by the comfort and speed of the Bonanza I guess.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:30 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
So you'd rather fly this:

Than this:

Can't possibly imagine something I could disagree with you more about.
awwwww that thing is adorable! w a whopping 15,000 pounds of thrust per side, cute.

But yeah , seriously , just go-around. nbd.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:49 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,363 Likes on 512 Posts

I've never heard of a G550 referred to as 'cute' but Ok, there's a first time for everything.

I'm sure there is a greyhound bus driver out there who saw you in your 993 and felt smug because his is bigger... Want to trade places with him?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:57 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol I guess it could go something like that
Old 10-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
So you'd rather fly this:

Than this:

Can't possibly imagine something I could disagree with you more about.
ahh, the gulfstream g550.

Obviously my statement was an in jest comment made about commercial air travel.

That said, if you gave me the choice of a private 737 or a g550, I'll take the 737 every time.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:20 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue TTop
It was a general aviation accident. It was our Company plane (Cessna 206 with floats). P.
I learned and flew 10 years in a mellinnium edition 206. No Floats but ordered with all the provisions for them. The plane was sold and ported to Australia four years ago. I hope to return to aviation in something fast and tandem like a rocket or RV8.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:26 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Mike Cap mentioned Walter Beech...He founded the company but sadly, died early on. It was his wife, Olive Anne, who kept the company alive and growing. I had the pleasure of meeting her on a couple of occasions...a very classy and extremely intelligent lady....One of the true pioneers of the aviation industry like Clyde Cessna. Sports, Bonanzas, Barons, Dukes, Queen and King Airs...brings back fond memories. I left before Raytheon took over. Back then, the airframe industry in Wichita was one great big fraternity. Seems everyone knew everyone...even if you worked for a competing company, you were still friendly to one another.
NC,
Great post about Walter Beech and his company. I also met Mrs Beech at an event - must have been 1982. It was a fiftieth anniversary celebration and she handed out beautiful bronze 50th medallions. I still have it, keep it polished and on my desk. The motto on the perimeter says, "The World Is Small When You Fly A Beechcraft".

So sad what happened to Beech post Raytheon and as recently as last year. I toured the Bonanza factory floor in the 90's with my Flight Safety instructor. It was a Saturday and quiet - to me it was like a tour of heaven.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:07 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 271 Posts

Mike, I know what you mean. Going to the main plant early in the morning, seeing all those beautiful fuselages sitting on the line in various stages , wondering where they would go, what paint schemes and interiors they would get. Wow! A little piece of Beech history...I played a small part in the last orders for the Beech Model H18 twin radials back in 1970 for JAL. It had been so long since they'd built any, they had to recruit managers, supervisors and anyone else who'd worked on them in the past to put on coveralls and go back on the line for a few weeks! They did a great job.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:27 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

NC,

Love the Beech 18 story. JAL must have used them for multi-training? My good friend has a jet management company, very successful and lots of big iron. I'm always ragging on him to sell that stuff and replace the planes with Beech 18s and Lockheed Electras. He just rolls his eyes.

Did you ever read that rant (very funny) about why turbines are ruining aviation? I'll post it tomorrow.

The aviation legends I'd have loved to meet.....Doolittle, Lindbergh and Howard Hughes. Walter Beech too - just to say "thanks" for designing the greatest single engine plane in history. In continuous production for 65 years with, what, 20,000 built?

My original Bonanza instructor was an older retired airline pilot. Had 40,000 hours, WWII P38..... Knew Doolittle and Lindbergh.... So I did "shake the hand, that shook the hand".
Old 10-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
ahh, the gulfstream g550.

That said, if you gave me the choice of a private 737 or a g550, I'll take the 737 every time.
That's because you haven't been in one. The 550 (and most purpose built corporate jets) gets you higher (for a better ride and faster routings) AND a lower cabin altitude (so you feel better when you get to the other side of the world.) That's why Glufstream, Bombardier, and Dassault have years-long waiting lists for their jets and Boeing witl build you a BBJ tomorrow, for less money... The new G650 is alreaddy sold out for the next 5 years at 65 Million a pop...
Old 10-29-2013, 09:46 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 271 Posts

Re: Corporate Jets, we worked on the Lear 23, 24 and 25's, the first Cessna Citations. One of my friends in Wichita was the Chief Instructor for Lear (as a matter of fact, owned a '58 Speedster, too). When students needed flight hrs., he'd call me and ask if I'd like a ride...Never knew where we'd be going but, Lordy, it was fun! Damn, those Lear Jets can climb!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
That's because you haven't been in one. The 550 (and most purpose built corporate jets) gets you higher (for a better ride and faster routings) AND a lower cabin altitude (so you feel better when you get to the other side of the world.) That's why Glufstream, Bombardier, and Dassault have years-long waiting lists for their jets and Boeing witl build you a BBJ tomorrow, for less money... The new G650 is alreaddy sold out for the next 5 years at 65 Million a pop...
Not to mention access to more convenient airports.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:34 PM
Hoserpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to fly a 56tc baron. Duke engines... Now that was a rocket ship!! Were getting "new" 717's, oh joy. A dc-9 with a Boeing name.

I was in savannah a couple weeks ago. All those gulfstreams sitting on the ramp are a sight to see. Beautiful airplane. Wish I could've had the chance to fly one before I left the corporate world for the airlines.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:42 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
and a 996 performs better than a 993 and is more comfortable doing it.

Give me an old crappy boeing. I have more faith in them than general dynamics. Call me crazy.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:27 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Just for laughs.....

Turbines are Ruining Aviation

We gotta get rid of turbines, they are ruining aviation. We need to go
back to big round engines. Anybody can start a turbine, you just need
to move a switch from "OFF" to "START," and then remember to move it back
to "ON" after a while. My PC is harder to start. Cranking a round engine
requires skill, finesse and style. On some planes, the pilots are not
even allowed to do it.

Turbines start by whining for a while, then give a small lady-like poot
and start whining louder.

Round engines give a satisfying rattle-rattle, click-click BANG, more
rattles, another BANG, a big macho fart or two, more clicks, a lot of
smoke and finally a serious low pitched roar. We like that. It's a guy
thing. When you start a round engine, your mind is engaged and you can
concentrate on the flight ahead.

Starting a turbine is like flicking on a ceiling fan: Useful, but hardly
exciting. Turbines don't break often enough, leading to aircrew
boredom, complacency and inattention. A round engine at speed looks and
sounds like it's going to blow at any minute. This helps concentrate
the mind. Turbines don't have enough control levers to keep a pilot's
attention. There's nothing to fiddle with during the flight.

Turbines smell like a Boy Scout camp full of Coleman lanterns. Round
engines smell like God intended flying machines to smell.

Quick Reply: OT - For the Pilots at RL