Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   KMR-RSR 001 > development and rebuild. (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/783101-kmr-rsr-001-development-and-rebuild.html)

KMR RSR 001 10-25-2013 05:16 PM

KMR-RSR 001 > development and rebuild.

After racing my 996 Cup for several years I was ready for something else. For months I debated with myself options of going newer (997 Cup hot rod, Cup S, RSR, etc) or older (993 hot rod, RSR, etc). I wanted something that I could race and be competitive in, primarily with PCA and most importantly have a lot of fun with. In the end I decided to go older and so the search for an air cooled car began. There were a few 993 RSR’s for sale at the time but for various reasons I wasn’t interested in any of these cars. And then I stumbled on KMR-RSR 001. There were 2 of these built by Kelly Moss Racing back in the day to compete against the factory RSR’s. There is an interesting back story about these cars which I won’t document here. After some phone calls and research I decided this was the car and bought it a week before the PCA event at Watkins Glen.

The car had been sitting on the rack and had not raced for several years. Kelly Moss did a fantastic job prepping and transporting the car in less than a week and on Friday morning I got to see it for the first time. The car exceeded my expectations and I was looking forward to my first time racing at Watkins Glen. Somewhat as expected we had several small problems that took all weekend to sort through. This meant I sat out some sessions and didn’t get as much track time as hoped but I really enjoyed driving the car. And I loved Watkins Glen! My best time of the weekend in GT3R was 2.00 which came in the last laps of my last session (the red flagged enduro).

Coming away from Watkins Glen I was really happy with the car but wanted it to be developed in some areas to improve overall performance. Kelly Moss set to work:

Ergonomic changes in the car for comfort and safety
993 Clubsport rear decklid mated to a 997 Cup air ram intake
Crawford Grand Am rear wing
Dive plains (removable) for the front bumper
Rothsport Racing billet short shifter
Carbon brakes with 997 Cup calipers
Increased spring rates

With these changes made it was off to Road America, one of my favorite tracks, for the PCA Labor Day weekend event. The car looked awesome as it rolled off the transporter at Road America. Right from the get go on Friday morning we had a fuel starvation/electrical problem that we spent all weekend chasing. After we finally diagnosed and fixed the problem I was able to get some decent laps in during the Monday morning enduro warm up and qualifying. My race went well right up until the left rear upright failed, caused by a problem with the toe link. I managed a best time in the race of 2.20.1, a new GT3R lap record.

The car showed awesome potential and I felt there was room for further development. So back to Kelly Moss the car went for:

ATL fuel cell
Teves ABS
AP pedal box
JRZ 3 way shocks
CAE shifter
Motec upgrades
Aero updates (front bumper, ducted hood, louvered fenders, rear bumper)
Tub back to bare and repainted

Jeff Gamroth at Rothsport Racing is building a 4.0l motor for the car which will be mated to a 996 Cup gearbox.

Throughout the rebuild process I’ll post updates. The car should be finished by year end and I look forward to doing some testing early next year.

KMR RSR 001 10-25-2013 05:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Photos from Watkins Glen.

KMR RSR 001 10-25-2013 05:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Upgrades for Road America.

KMR RSR 001 10-25-2013 05:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More...

KMR RSR 001 10-25-2013 05:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Photos from Road America.

trophy 10-25-2013 05:25 PM

What an amazing car, thanks for sharing...

KMR RSR 001 10-25-2013 05:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More from Road America...

trophy 10-25-2013 05:28 PM

How about some engine bay detail :)

KMR RSR 001 10-25-2013 05:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Fender louvers have been done. AP pedals and new carbon dash have arrived. So has the new oil cooler which will be mounted in the trunk. Air will be ducted from the front bumper thru the oil cooler and out the hood. More to come next week...

Juha G 10-25-2013 05:42 PM

Wow! I love these cars!!!

KMR RSR 001 10-25-2013 05:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
trophy here is what it looked like before and now. Kelly Moss has nearly finished mocking everything up. Then the tub (which has a carbon roof and quarter panels) will get striped back to bare and painted.

trophy 10-25-2013 05:50 PM

Thanks, that is great. Looking forward to seeing this progress..

KMR RSR 001 10-25-2013 06:00 PM

Here is the in car video from the enduro and Road America.

jdistefa 10-25-2013 06:58 PM

Stunning car. I drooled over it at the Glen. With a 4 liter and those brakes you should be hassling a lot more 7-cups.

May I make one suggestion to move the remote reservoir canisters out of the engine bay?

Look forward to more :)

Oh, and nice drivin!

AOW162435 10-25-2013 08:48 PM

I drooleth. Very nice.

Andreas

Renaud Bizet 10-25-2013 08:49 PM

Awesome, congratulations and thanks for sharing !!!

Those brakes are huge, on the pictures it looks like they are made of 4 quarter sections, is that
true? Never seen brake disks like that before.

Ed Hughes 10-25-2013 09:39 PM

Nice beast!

k722070 10-25-2013 11:04 PM

beautiful.
thanks for posting details, work and video.

jstyer 10-26-2013 10:28 AM

Awesome awesome awesome... Sweet project. Looks like a total blast.

lopro 10-26-2013 01:38 PM

Kelly moss racing plus 1. amazing. Great video and driving.
So motivating

KMR RSR 001 10-26-2013 02:32 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone.

jdistefa the rear shock remote cans will now be mounted below the right rear quarter window. There will be a couple of small access holes in the window to allow for adjustment during pit stops.

Renaud the rotors are produced in sections and then "bolted" together. This is new technology still in the prototype stage. I can tell you they are amazing. You can see in the video that I was braking really late at Road America and able to out brake everyone fairly easily.

The rear bumper mock up is all but complete. This combines the profile of the original bumper with the functionality (air vents) of a 997 Cup bumper. It will now be used to make a mold and then a carbon bumper will be produced by Crawford.

Cactus 10-26-2013 02:37 PM

I would be willing to use my car as a test mule for those brakes on the street:D

Juha G 10-26-2013 03:20 PM

Thanks for posting the video!! I enjoyed every second of it!!:thumbup:

With regards to that bumper, would they be willing to make one for me as well? I had a little mishap with my bumper and I need a new bumper and I also need to do something the relieve the heat. That bumper looks business!!

http://m3supercar.1g.fi/kuvat/993/Go...op&hash=1f159)

cavlino 10-26-2013 03:21 PM

Very cool!

Paddy 10-26-2013 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Juha G (Post 10859491)
Thanks for posting the video!! I enjoyed every second of it!!:thumbup:

With regards to that bumper, would they be willing to make one for me as well? I had a little mishap with my bumper and I need a new bumper and I also need to do something the relieve the heat. That bumper looks business!!

http://m3supercar.1g.fi/kuvat/993/Go...op&hash=1f159)

I'd also be interested in one too. The center cut outs will work nicely with the 997 gt3 Gamroth muffler setup.

mobonic 10-26-2013 05:44 PM

First off, wow, that is one hell of a gorgeous car and i love the mods you are making.. great choices!

how are running costs of this car compared to the 996 Cup?

Cory M 10-26-2013 09:28 PM

Badass. So much cooler than another cup.

danielyonker 10-26-2013 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 10857942)
Here is the in car video from the enduro and Road America.

http://youtu.be/MMUVryTq8UI

Nice driven' dude. I love the old air-cooled cars giving the cups a run for the money In equally prepared cars you would have clearly dominated. Awesome.

007DT 10-27-2013 10:03 AM

My pants are fitting a bit tighter now.

KMR RSR 001 10-27-2013 12:34 PM

Juha and Paddy, I'll check with Jeff at Kelly Moss about producing the bumper for you. The bodywork on my car is a one off and very wide. My new rear bumper might work on a wide body car (using RSR/GT2 flares) or could be altered to work on a narrow body car. It is being made by Crawford using high quality carbon and won't be cheap...

mobonic I would guesstimate the running costs to be the same as a 996 Cup. After 4+ years with a 996 Cup I know what the real costs of running the car are. I have only raced KMR-RSR 001 at 2 events and so don't have a complete picture of running costs yet. Michelin's are being used on both cars and typically I would go thru 3 sets in a weekend. The new engine (being built by Rothsport Racing) will be good for 50-80 hours before needing a freshen up and a 996 Cup gearbox is going to be used. The carbon brakes are awesome, reducing rotating mass and providing unrivaled stopping power, and expected to have a long life before the rotors need to be replaced. So net net I think it will be a wash and running costs will be about the same. But this was only part of my decision making process. I also wanted something cool that could be tinkered with and developed along the way. And did I mention how much fun it is to drive? Way more than the 996 Cup which was a great first race car but lacked character. GT3R is a great class and there are a lot of really good cars/drivers out there with more cars being built. The air cooled short wheel base car is so much fun to drive. Our goal when the car is finished is to be competitive with the fastest 997 Cups.

Mark in Baltimore 10-27-2013 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by 007DT (Post 10860646)
My pants are fitting a bit tighter now.

My thoughts exactly!

Thanks for posting this car!

mobonic 10-27-2013 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 10860807)
mobonic I would guesstimate the running costs to be the same as a 996 Cup. After 4+ years with a 996 Cup I know what the real costs of running the car are. I have only raced KMR-RSR 001 at 2 events and so don't have a complete picture of running costs yet. Michelin's are being used on both cars and typically I would go thru 3 sets in a weekend. The new engine (being built by Rothsport Racing) will be good for 50-80 hours before needing a freshen up and a 996 Cup gearbox is going to be used. The carbon brakes are awesome, reducing rotating mass and providing unrivaled stopping power, and expected to have a long life before the rotors need to be replaced. So net net I think it will be a wash and running costs will be about the same. But this was only part of my decision making process. I also wanted something cool that could be tinkered with and developed along the way. And did I mention how much fun it is to drive? Way more than the 996 Cup which was a great first race car but lacked character. GT3R is a great class and there are a lot of really good cars/drivers out there with more cars being built. The air cooled short wheel base car is so much fun to drive. Our goal when the car is finished is to be competitive with the fastest 997 Cups.

Well good for you for doing this and resurrecting a great car. The build is great and I love that you are making it your own and developing it, i love that part of racing...

With the short wheel base this car must rotate on a dime! I agree that these "older" aircooled race cars have more character and grit and "feel" than the newer cars and I would love to race a car like this one day.

I'll be following the progress... great job.

By the way what chassis is the car based on? What was done to it to get it to this point?

Paddy 10-28-2013 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 10860807)
Juha and Paddy, I'll check with Jeff at Kelly Moss about producing the bumper for you. The bodywork on my car is a one off and very wide. My new rear bumper might work on a wide body car (using RSR/GT2 flares) or could be altered to work on a narrow body car. It is being made by Crawford using high quality carbon and won't be cheap...

Thanks for checking Mark. I have a feeling we could probably get a few others interested in a rear bumper.

-Paddy

trophy 10-28-2013 06:57 PM

+993 :)

KMR RSR 001 10-28-2013 10:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Juha and Paddy I spoke with Jeff today about the bumper and have sent you a PM.

mobonic there is an interesting back story about the cars initial build and development. But I didn't want to get into that here in any detail. There is a Rennlist member and former owner of the car that knows the history of the car well and might share it with us... In short and as I understand it, 001 + 002 were built by Kelly Koss back in the day to compete against the factory 993 RSR's. They used the Porsche Motorsport engine and gearbox from the 993 RSR but everything else was bespoke > carbon bodywork, firewalls and dash, roll cage, Penske shocks, etc, etc and they cost significantly more than the factory RSR's. The premise and goal being that with the same drivetrain they could beat the factory cars. The story goes that when the cars rolled off the transporter at Road America the KMR-RSR's were 6 seconds a lap faster than the factory 993 RSR's. For some reason soon after the KMR-RSR's were banned from pro racing. They were seen at some PCA and other events for a few years under different ownership. Then 001 sat for the last several years before I bought it. 002 was extensively redeveloped about 10 years ago and is now powered by an unrestricted 996 GT3R motor with a cable shift gearbox and new bodywork developed in the Penske wind tunnel (amongst other things). This is what I have picked up from previous owners, research and publications (Panorama and Excellence) that have featured the cars over the years. All of which is interesting but not why I bought the car. I did so because it served as a perfect platform for what I wanted to do. After racing the car a couple of times for me it was clear how I wanted the car developed to bring it up to date, realize all its potential and yet keep it sympathetic to the original intent and design of the car. And here we are...

New parts arrived today. Teves will be have in car adjustment for how intrusive the ABS is and for front/rear bias. CAE shifter is for the cable shifting 996 Cup gearbox that will be used in the car,

mklaskin 10-29-2013 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 10864623)
Juha and Paddy I spoke with Jeff today about the bumper and have sent you a PM.

mobonic there is an interesting back story about the cars initial build and development. But I didn't want to get into that here in any detail. There is a Rennlist member and former owner of the car that knows the history of the car well and might share it with us... In short and as I understand it, 001 + 002 were built by Kelly Koss back in the day to compete against the factory 993 RSR's. They used the Porsche Motorsport engine and gearbox from the 993 RSR but everything else was bespoke > carbon bodywork, firewalls and dash, roll cage, Penske shocks, etc, etc and they cost significantly more than the factory RSR's. The premise and goal being that with the same drivetrain they could beat the factory cars. The story goes that when the cars rolled off the transporter at Road America the KMR-RSR's were 6 seconds a lap faster than the factory 993 RSR's. For some reason soon after the KMR-RSR's were banned from pro racing. They were seen at some PCA and other events for a few years under different ownership. Then 001 sat for the last several years before I bought it. 002 was extensively redeveloped about 10 years ago and is now powered by an unrestricted 996 GT3R motor with a cable shift gearbox and new bodywork developed in the Penske wind tunnel (amongst other things). This is what I have picked up from previous owners, research and publications (Panorama and Excellence) that have featured the cars over the years. All of which is interesting but not why I bought the car. I did so because it served as a perfect platform for what I wanted to do. After racing the car a couple of times for me it was clear how I wanted the car developed to bring it up to date, realize all its potential and yet keep it sympathetic to the original intent and design of the car. And here we are...

New parts arrived today. Teves will be have in car adjustment for how intrusive the ABS is and for front/rear bias. CAE shifter is for the cable shifting 996 Cup gearbox that will be used in the car,

Mark's history of his car is correct. Funny story: the car originally belonged to the head of the modem division at US Robotics. Allegedly, he would often fly his helicopter to races, and as the story goes, his wife said he could have one toy or the other...I have no idea if that's a true story, but it adds to the legend of the car.

Afterwards, it was sold to a neurosurgeon based in Indy, who then traded (for a 996 Cup) to the owner of a bus company on the east coast. I purchased it from the 3rd owner in early 2005. In the spring of 2008 I sent the chassis to Kelly Moss for restoration and the guys there did a fantastic job of repairing the carbon and painting to an almost show-car like quality. I also had the engine rebuilt and added the Motec dash and ECU. While all of this was happening, my brother and I decided to buy Dad a 997 Cup for his 65th, and the lure of the Cup was too strong....I thoroughly enjoyed owning it and regret selling it often. It was fast, supple, and fun. Mark is the perfect custodian of 001 and seeing his advancements has been a pleasure. I have no doubt that he will take it to the next level.

mobonic 10-29-2013 03:45 PM

Awesome!

dave morris 10-29-2013 05:00 PM

Really enjoyed your video. Thanks! Wonderful to see such a fabulous and fast car in such talented hands.

Would I be correct assuming you were running right at or near the top in your Cup? Seeing your patience and racing skills should be educational for lots of drivers.

jdistefa 10-31-2013 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Paddy (Post 10864102)
Thanks for checking Mark. I have a feeling we could probably get a few others interested in a rear bumper.

-Paddy

Mark,

I'd be interested as well.

TIA,
Matt

KMR RSR 001 11-02-2013 08:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
dave, yes I was starting to get pretty competitive in the 996 Cup. But my problem is lack of seat time. Last year I was only able to race once in the Cup, this year twice in KMR-RSR 001. Family and work commitments are taking priority.

Rear deck lid and bumper will go to Crawford on Monday. They will produce a mold and then new carbon parts for use on the car. We are also going to make a hood similar to whats used on 002 which allows air to be ducted from the front bumper thru the oil cooler and out the hood. Once the car is finished we'll work out a cost for these parts (and others that are still WIP) and make them available for sale if anyone is interested.

KMR RSR 001 11-02-2013 08:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The car is going to have a completely new wiring harness made and get some hardware upgrades. Motec spent a couple of days this week planning out the wiring harness and locations for the hardware in the car. The upgrades include Motec ADL3, HD video and PDM with RaceGrade GPS and Keypad. The existing M600 will be retained.

jdistefa 11-04-2013 10:11 AM

Mark,

Is your Crawford wing a 72"?

MarkD 11-04-2013 04:40 PM

such a cool thread

Thanks for the posts!

KMR RSR 001 11-04-2013 05:16 PM

Matt, per PCA rules "no spoilers, wings, or air dams may be wider than the basic bodywork of the car", which with my car is 75" at the rear wheels. So to be safe in the end I think we decided on a 74" Crawford wing.

jdistefa 11-04-2013 06:21 PM

^ ok, thx Mark

just talking to crawford about a 60" wing for my car

thread is great and inspirational, keep it coming :)

Kein_Ersatz 11-05-2013 11:59 AM

Neat Dash / button set. Looks more pro then toggles. :thumbsup:

KMR RSR 001 11-05-2013 09:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Kelly Moss is finishing up the tub. The transmission tunnel needs to be widened to accommodate the 996 Cup gearbox. They have cut the same area out of a 996 Cup tub and will use to to complete the fabrication. The front air jack needed to be relocated because of the ducting from the bumper, thru the trunk and out the hood. So there are now 2 located just behind the front wheel wells.

Work has started on the mock up hood. When finished it will go to Crawford to have a mold made and a new hood produced for the car.

Soon the tub will be ready to go on the rotisserie, taken back to bare and repainted. So I needed to make a decision about the color and sport classic grey it is.

mklaskin 11-06-2013 12:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
It's awesome to see this car evolve. Here's what it looked like shortly after I bought it, and then just before I sold it...

KMR RSR 001 11-07-2013 01:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
New JRZ triple adjustable shocks arrived today.

Paddy 11-07-2013 02:46 PM

Very nice hardware Mark. What spring rates are you going to use? I'm thinking about upping the spring rate on my Moton triples.

KMR RSR 001 11-07-2013 03:32 PM

Rear =1,200, front =1,100. This was a perfect balance for the way the car was set up at Road America. The weight was 2,495lbs on the scales with me (and full cool shirt box, cell 1/2 full, etc) in it. However with all the front end, aero changes and weight reduction (target 2,400-2,450lbs wet with me in the car) being made to the car we'll need to test spring rates again. I expect the rear will stay at 1,200, the front may go up to 1,200 as well or thereabouts.

lopro 11-07-2013 05:41 PM

these are the types of threads we need on Rennlist

KMR RSR 001 11-11-2013 10:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The car came with 2 sets of BBS Motorsport 3 piece aluminum wheels and 1 set of magnesium wheels (which were the original wheels). These are 10" front and 12.5" rear. For a normal 3-4 day race weekend I need 4 sets of wheels (scrubs, 2 stickers and wets). I'm using the Michelin 27/65 front and 31/71 rear.

I have been looking for a really good, strong, light one piece aluminum wheel that will be used on the car next season. BBS weren't really interested and my back up choice 3 piece is out of stock in the sizes I need until early next year. Rays weren't responsive.

But Motegi have been really excited about the project. This week I'm ordering 4 sets of the wheels shown in gold and on the Viper. It turns out Core, Paul Miller and some of the Ferrari teams are also using them. Exact specs of the wheels for my car will be finalized in the next couple of days with Motegi. They will be black, 10-11" front and 12.5-13" rear with custom offsets. Both front and rear wheels weigh less than 18lbs. They should arrive before Christmas.

lopro 11-11-2013 10:56 PM

very nice choice of suspension. im interested to know more about the wing. love that spoiler

405 11-11-2013 11:07 PM

amazing build. i too am interested in the rear wing with the additional scoop in front.

mobonic 11-12-2013 02:45 PM

What are the price for the motegi per set?

I have had great experience with FINSPEED wheels on my race car.

They are made in the USA in house and the quality and attention to detail i have not seen on any other wheel i have ever used.

The sell direct to the customer so pricing is great too. I had 3 sets made for my old racecar and im getting 3 sets made for my new cup. Might want to look into them

CarreraX 11-12-2013 05:30 PM

Awesome build!! Have you looked into Forgeline wheels? The have a new forged one piece that available in several styles etc. www.forgeline.com They do centerlock and are every bit as nice as anything out there, if not nicer. The machine work is gorgeous!!! Not affiliated just a happy customer and friends of the owner. Beautiful car!!

KMR RSR 001 11-12-2013 10:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
lopro and 405 the rear bumper, tail base and wing have been changed for better function whilst trying to retain the 993 KMR-RSR form. They guys in the Kelly Moss body shop have done a great job fabricating these parts which are now at Crawford having molds and finished parts produced. Down the road I will probably make these parts available for sale.

We started with a 993 Clubsport tail base and a splash of a 997 Cup air intake from Getty. These were then mated together, roughed and finished. This gives better airflow into the engine bay for both the fuel injection and cooling. The rear bumper started with what was already on the car and was mated to 997 Cup bumper air vents. This prevents the rear bumper acting like a parachute and improves airflow. It was then fitted on the car to make sure the clearances were OK with the Rothsport Racing exhaust.

Making these is a painstaking and time consuming process all done by hand.

The rear wing is from Crawford and measures 74". Per PCA rules it needed to remain inside the bodywork of the car which is 75" at the rear wheels.

KMR RSR 001 11-12-2013 10:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Rear bumper...

KMR RSR 001 11-12-2013 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rear wing...

KMR RSR 001 11-12-2013 10:19 PM

Mobonic and CarreraX thanks for the input. We looked at all the wheel options available. The decision to go with Motegi was made for a combination of reasons > quality, engineering, weight, strength, service, cost, lead time, etc. Motegi clearly came out on top. There might be other wheels out there for more or less money that may or may not be comparable but this is where we landed on this project. The Motegi wheels are a little less than the BBS Motorsport one piece wheels.

MSR Racer 11-12-2013 10:39 PM

Amazing car. I find it hard to believe though that it can be competitive with the fastest driven 997 Cups without turbocharging the car. After all, Porsche moved on from air cooled to water cooled engined cars way back. Perhaps the weight advantage (at least 300 lbs lighter than the GTC4/5 cups) and the carbon breaks will make the difference.

KMR RSR 001 11-13-2013 03:16 PM

You might be surprised…

My car will mostly be raced with PCA in GT3R and this is what it has been engineered to. The class formula modifies displacement by 110 for an air-cooled 6 cylinder engine and determines a minimum weight. This year the car was running with the following set up:

> original 3.8l Porsche Motorsports 993 RSR engine developing an estimated 360-370hp (we haven’t bothered putting it on the dyno because a new engine is being built by Rothsport Racing) against the formula of 380hp
> with me suited up in the car, the CoolShirt box and the fuel cell ¼ full the car weighed 2495lbs against the formula of 2303lbs
> Michelin slicks, 27/65 front and 31/71 rear

So the car was under optimized based on the class formula, not developing enough power and/or too heavy. In spite of this I was able to set a GT3R lap record of 2.20.1 at Road America, only my second time in the car. Whilst I’m not racing against the Cup cars that are in a different class they do run in the same group as GT3R and it is fun mixing it up with them. Pretty much the fastest lap times at Road America were set in the enduro. If I were to compare my times with the Cup cars 2.20.1 would have been the second fastest time in GTC4 and the fifth fastest time in GTC5. The fastest GTC5 time of the weekend was 2.17.6, GTC4 2.17.8.

Looking to next year I wanted to further develop the car within the formula. Rothsport Racing is building a 4.0l that per the rules will develop 440hp (there are naturally aspirated air-cooled 4.0 engines out there developing over 500hp). Kelly Moss is updating the brakes and aero whilst removing some weight so that the car comes in below the minimum of 2474lbs (per the new rule change 50lbs higher in 2014 because the car runs on slicks so I’ll need to add ballast). With approx. 20% more power, a better chassis and slightly less weight my goals are class wins and lap records.

You’ll see from the Road America video that I can out brake and corner the GTC cars but they just pull away from me on the straights. With the new set up we expect to gain 2-4 seconds per lap (depending on the track) and I should be mixing it up with the front running GTC5 cars next season. There are modified Cup cars out there that are quicker than the GTC cars that also run in our group but I expect to be following them around. Something that I also wanted to avoid was the mid pack GTC carnage that occurred at Watkins Glen and Road America. Being at the front of the group helps to keep you out of trouble…

When the flag drops the bull**** stops. So we’ll see what happens when the car gets on track next year. I will be at Road America again in 2014 so will be able to do back to back comparisons.

MSR Racer 11-13-2013 04:31 PM

Sounds great. I saw your car run at RA. You certainly have the math down with regard to the formula for PCA GT3 class. Four liter air- cooled engine sounds fantastic. My only question is why Porsche never tried it their racing program. Reliability issues with air- cooling a high revving 4.0 liter motor? Or perhaps development costs. I don't know but I am sure you have got all this covered. I am interested because I have an air cooled PCA race car. Thinking of cup car next!!

Juha G 11-13-2013 05:00 PM

Very interesting data... and I like the phrase: "when the flag drops the bull**** stops..." I want to use that (if you don't mind) as my motto when I get into Porsche club racing. Thus far I've been racing a BMW in Finnish the endurance saloon serie but next summer I will enter my "GT2" into the PRCF serie. :thumbup:

For a point of comparison, I have data on my 993 with GT2 EVO aero and 390hp engine vs. a stock 996 GT3 on comparable tires.
On slower track I am 2 seconds a lap faster and on a high speed lap that much slower. It all comes down to the aero. My car literally "stops" accelerating after 90mph when compared to the GT3.
That's why I'm ditching the current drive train and putting in a twinplug EVO engine. Don't what it will put out but propably in excess of 700hp.

I don't know how much different the aero is on the KMR RSR but the EVO aero needs at least 600hp on high speed tracks.

KMR RSR 001 11-13-2013 05:10 PM

I'm no engineer but in the 15+ years since Porsche produced the 993 RSR there has been a lot of engine development. Most of the power increase comes from the heads which are made by Elite. Other trick components help to create the high revving (8,200 redline) high horsepower motor. To help with longevity and reliability the engine is built about 1.5" wider than stock. All this comes at a cost because a lot of the components are basically one off and custom. From my perspective the "weakness" with an air cooled motor is the heat soak which reduces hp over the duration of a race. But they sound great and are a lot of fun to drive :) At a point in the development process of any model/race car there is a law or diminishing returns and Porsche moves into the next one. That was the 996 GT3R. More power, water cooled so no heat soak, better chassis dynamics, etc, etc.

I have really enjoyed racing my 996 Cup (which are great cars) but driving the KMR-RSR is way more fun :)

KMR RSR 001 11-13-2013 05:18 PM

Juha you're right. After driving my car the first time I got out and said it needed 150+ more horsepower! The chassis dynamics of the car are so good it could handle this. But in the class I'm racing the cap is pretty much 440hp. So we have focused mostly on developing aero, brakes and other little things. But aero is the key. There is only so much we can do and still retain the look and feel of the original car (which I wanted to do). The biggest gains are the front end with the ducting thru the bumper, into the trunk and out the hood and rear wing which increase downforce and reduces drag.

And to your point what I gain on short tracks I lose on long tracks. But hopefully the modifications we are making will reduce or eliminate the loses on longer tracks.

mklaskin 11-13-2013 06:45 PM

Just as a point of reference, Chris Cervelli used to hassle Cups in his factory 993 RSR.

KaiB 11-13-2013 07:05 PM

Hassling Cups is FUN with an air cooled car!

How often (hours) does Gammer expect before he'll want to open the engine for maintenance?

MSR Racer 11-13-2013 07:06 PM

Mark,
Your point about newer engine components and Porsche reaching the point of diminishing returns is well taken. Yours is a great car. I have a 993TT that I just started racing and is still very much being "dialed-in.' That's what piqued my curiosity.

Good luck and keep those updates rolling on that air-cooled dream machine. See u next year at RA.

KMR RSR 001 11-13-2013 08:28 PM

Somewhere between 50 and 80 hours. The brief to Jeff G was that the motor needed to last a season before being freshened up over the winter. I was told it might last longer before maintenance but time will tell. There aren't many of these "wide" motors around so we'll see once we start putting some hours on it...

KaiB 11-14-2013 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 10903620)
Somewhere between 50 and 80 hours. The brief to Jeff G was that the motor needed to last a season before being freshened up over the winter. I was told it might last longer before maintenance but time will tell. There aren't many of these "wide" motors around so we'll see once we start putting some hours on it...

Good fun. I know the shop is excited - and Fred is back to work half days. You're getting the best of the best out there!!!

lopro 11-14-2013 12:09 PM

what did you say the mirrors were from? Jeez this thing is a beauty.

Kein_Ersatz 11-15-2013 01:02 PM

When the flag drops the bullshit stops.

@KMR & @Juha I tip my hat to you 2 pioneers and say "well played sir, well played indeed!":cheers:
Those of us "hobbyists" running these "vintage" air cooled 993 DE cars just are gobsmacked to see what you guys are getting out of these chassis and air-cooled motors. God speed gentlemen, god speed.:thumbup:

When the flag drops the bull**** stops.
Timeless!

@KMR ran the A-DE at RA @ CR this year, saw your car in the pits and on track, it was wonderful to see.:)

KMR RSR 001 11-15-2013 09:34 PM

The mirrors are made by Crawford. They use a donor for the base and their carbon housing with motorised in car adjustment. They are a thing of beauty.

Thanks Kein :) Wait until you see it next year...

cavlino 11-17-2013 11:10 AM

Lots of cool updates since I visited this last, thanks for posting them.

KMR RSR 001 11-18-2013 04:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The tub is now on a rotisserie having the last of the fabrication done (front wheels are still on for mock up purposes). Trunk, drivers floor and pedal box, additional chassis bracing and preparing under the car for the flat floor are almost complete.

Front fenders are finished and ready for the louvers.

Steering rack arrived today. It was made by Fabcar and designed to allow adjustment up/down. This will now be fabricated into the knee bar area.

doc_porsche 11-18-2013 07:34 PM

wow! thanks for sharing

KMR RSR 001 11-20-2013 09:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Front fenders and louvers are now fully prepped and ready for paint.

Work continues on the trunk ducting and hood...

Suspension brace to tie up the front end has now been completed.

jdistefa 11-20-2013 09:16 PM

Interesting seat mounts in the floor pan. Is that something that KMR originally fabbed up? Looks like it gets you lower and closer to the central tunnel.

mongrelcat 11-20-2013 11:21 PM

Rock 'n' roll! What a great photo!

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...photo-3-14.jpg

lopro 11-21-2013 01:08 PM

this may be one of the best threads Ive seen in 4 years on rennlist.

the aero is just what the doc ordered for these cars. Perfect hood scoop idea

KMR RSR 001 11-21-2013 09:39 PM

Matt, the seat/slider mount fabrication was done by Kelly Moss after I bought the car. I wanted something ergonomically better and safer. Yes, the mounts are quite a lot lower than standard. For me as a driver the ergonomics are now much better with the location of the seat, adjustable AP pedals, height adjustable steering rack and shifter. I wanted to improve in car safety while we were doing all the other work so now I'm looking at the new Recaro P1300 GT seat and slider. With an easy mod to the seat/slider mount in the car this can be installed. Everything I have read and heard about this new seat and slider says this set up is a huge safety improvement and very comfortable.

lopro a big area of focus for us has been aero improvement (increased downforce and reduced drag). The front bumper/trunk/hood ducting, front fender louvers, flat floor (more to come on that later), tail base, wing and rear bumper are all being addressed. There is only so much that can be gained with more power. As Juha pointed out the 993 starts to hit a wall at a certain point. So the improved aero will help a lot.

KaiB 11-22-2013 08:09 AM

It just crossed my mind that you may want to insure that your new seat mounts - and the slider mech - will meet the new PCA CR regs.

porsche993gtrsr 11-22-2013 11:03 AM

hello, I love this project and the effort you put in the development of your car.
This winter our 993 gt2 is also going through many updates to reach a goal of more downforce and less drag.

We thought about a rear diffuser ? Are you planning to do this ?
And how do your front fender louvres and gt3 cup rear bumper help to reach less drag ?
I would like to know that :)

Great project, keep it going

KMR RSR 001 11-22-2013 03:49 PM

PMNA can get the seat and slider so I pulled the trigger on this today. Somewhat surprisingly the PMNA price is well below what Recaro are quoting.

Kai, I have been using the 996 Recaro seat and slider without a back brace. It was never raised as an issue at tech… This new seat and slider is a big safety improvement and passes all the latest and highest FIA standards. But given the comments in the Club Racing forum re: the 2014 rule changes I'll email Walt just to be safe.

porsche993gtrsr my comments should have been more expansive in the earlier post :) Louvers are to address "turbulence" in the front fenders and vents prevent the rear bumper acting as a "parachute" but also help with airflow/cooling. For now we are not going to use a rear diffuser but its on the list. The concern was engine cooling. Once we have been able to test with the new ducting and oil cooler if temps are OK we'll add a diffuser and see what happens.

KMR RSR 001 11-22-2013 03:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
New seat...

porsche993gtrsr 11-22-2013 03:58 PM

oke thnx, nice seat !

you said your spring rates probably would be 1200 lbs/in, I converted it to NM and that is around 140nm, the real gt2's were running approximately 280nm, unless my calculation is wrong, arent your spring rates a little bit low ? (now we are running 140nm and thinking about going up, but you are sticking to 140nm ?)

KMR RSR 001 11-22-2013 04:36 PM

As I understand it the factory RSR's back in the day were running about 1700lbs which is what someone I know has in his. He describes it as too stiff and will be changing to softer springs. This factory RSR owner drove my car at a recent Road America test day and found the set up to be much better than his car. After my car is finished and testing begins we'll start where we left off with F=1,100 R=1,200 and experiment up to about 1,400lbs but no more.

porsche993gtrsr 11-22-2013 04:53 PM

oo I had my info from this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...ing-rates.html

but if it is true, isn't it weard why the factory rsr's drove with 1700 or higher ? or am i incorrect ?

KaiB 11-22-2013 05:02 PM

Dang! That's a LOT of spring.

Bill Verburg 11-22-2013 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 10925671)
As I understand it the factory RSR's back in the day were running about 1700lbs which is what someone I know has in his. He describes it as too stiff and will be changing to softer springs. This factory RSR owner drove my car at a recent Road America test day and found the set up to be much better than his car. After my car is finished and testing begins we'll start where we left off with F=1,100 R=1,200 and experiment up to about 1,400lbs but no more.

993 RSR ran
235 to 286 N/mm fronts w/ 30N/mm helpers(1342 to 1633 lb/in)
270 to 350 N/mm rears w/ 30 N/mm helpers(1542 to 1999 lb/in)

GT2 Evo ran
270 to 320 N/mm fronts w/ 30N/mm helpers(1542 to 1827 lb/in)
296 to 350 N/mm rears w/ 30 N/mm helpers(1542 to 1901 lb/in)

porsche993gtrsr 11-23-2013 04:18 PM

were the factory gt2's crazy with 270nm to 350nm or can we try something in that area 220nm ? does anyone have any experience with these rate's

trophy 11-23-2013 05:44 PM

You have to remember these rates were what were used on the much smoother tracks in Europe.

I remember when the RSR's and GT2's came into Australia in the '90's, the first thing they changed were the spring rates because the tracks in Oz, like the US, were not as smooth and the cars with European spring rates would be bouncing all over the place, no grip at all.

jdistefa 11-24-2013 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 10923752)
Matt, the seat/slider mount fabrication was done by Kelly Moss after I bought the car. I wanted something ergonomically better and safer. Yes, the mounts are quite a lot lower than standard. For me as a driver the ergonomics are now much better with the location of the seat, adjustable AP pedals, height adjustable steering rack and shifter. I wanted to improve in car safety while we were doing all the other work so now I'm looking at the new Recaro P1300 GT seat and slider. With an easy mod to the seat/slider mount in the car this can be installed. Everything I have read and heard about this new seat and slider says this set up is a huge safety improvement and very comfortable.

New seat looks fantastic. Am in the process of looking at options to lower my seat mounts as well, so those KMR pieces are instructive.

Quadcammer 11-24-2013 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 10903211)
To help with longevity and reliability the engine is built about 1.5" wider than stock.

Can you explain what you mean here? Where does the extra width come from?

Thanks.

Juha G 11-24-2013 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Quadcammer (Post 10928956)
Can you explain what you mean here? Where does the extra width come from?

Thanks.

Just a wild guess but could it be that they are increasing the displacement by increasing the stroke instead of p/c diameter?
Boxer engine -> the longer the stroke the wider the engine...

edit: well, of course you could then use shorter rods... I guess. Must be something else...

cavlino 11-24-2013 10:42 AM

A ton of great info here, lots of fun to read. :rockon:

Falcondrivr 11-24-2013 10:46 AM

Any chance you'll be at Sebring in January for the 48? I'd love to see this person.

KMR RSR 001 11-25-2013 02:46 PM

Thanks for the spring rate info Bill. The factory RSR's I have seen use a tensioning device mounted in the spring which changes the spring rate. Do you know if this achieves the spring rate range in your spreadsheet or were there different springs available depending on customer preference?

porsche993gtrsr there are too many variables to be able to answer your question > tires, ARB, shocks, driving style/experience, track, etc. The only way to determine what spring rates work best is to test. Personally on an RSR type car running on Michelin or similar slicks I would suggest a range of 1200-1400lbs in the rear with the front 100lbs softer to establish a baseline. Then try softer and stiffer set ups to find what works best. Maybe on a GT2 you might want to go a little bit higher because of more weight at the rear of the car?

Quadcammer the 4.0l is being achieved with bore and stroke. I'm out of my depth trying to explain the "wide" engine... But as I understand it these "wide" engines improve angles inside the high hp/displacement motor, improving reliability and service life. A lot of parts need to be custom to do this. As it turns out Gamroth (Rothsport Racing) has decided not to do this and will now stick with a conventional configuration. The new engine will still achieve the target HP and service life intervals.

Falcondrivr sorry, I wish we could be at Sebring in January. But it looks like the car won't be finished by then. And the plan is to test for 2-3 days (likely on the west coast) before racing. I'll be at Road America for the labor day weekend for sure and maybe COTA. Other events TBD.

KMR RSR 001 11-25-2013 03:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Fabrication continues on the tunnel to incorporate the 996 Cup gearbox/shifter cables and front air jack mounts with shrouds to protect the lines are complete. Brace to tie the front suspension and chassis together has been finished.

Bill Verburg 11-25-2013 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 10931799)
Thanks for the spring rate info Bill. The factory RSR's I have seen use a tensioning device mounted in the spring which changes the spring rate. Do you know if this achieves the spring rate range in your spreadsheet or were there different springs available depending on customer preference?

They did it both ways, single rate and adjustable rate, here are the specs for the adjustable rate springs
https://forums.pelicanparts.com/uplo...1385414558.gif

porsche993gtrsr 11-30-2013 12:40 PM

Nice work !,
But I have a question, what is the benefit of the brace for the front suspension ?, do you need this because you are missing some original parts and need this as reinforcement ?

I Found this picture:
http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/7745/p1040305ar.jpg

where you can see that a original gt2 did not have this, just like to know the thoughts behind this piece of engineering

rsscotty 11-30-2013 04:43 PM

Steering brace

I originally saw this done by Geoffrey Ring on his 964.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...eferrerid=4234

KMR RSR 001 11-30-2013 09:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
porsche993gtrsr I was told by Kelly Moss this was done to improve the front end (suspension and steering). Apparently some privateer teams made this modification to the factory RSR's and GT2's. It seems Geoffrey had the same idea with his 964. I'll ask Kelly Moss for more info and let you know.

Hood and ducting have now been finished. Work has begun mocking up the fuel cell which will be made by ATL in the UK.

KMR RSR 001 12-04-2013 10:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fuel cell mock up is complete. Capacity will be 100l. Crawford will make a carbon can and all the other components will come from ATL UK.

KMR RSR 001 12-04-2013 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Work has now begun on the new front bumper. Using a fiberglass mock up the first step is to get all the gaps right. Then there will be some work done to make sure the fenders and bumpers all have the same lines and shape. It will then go to Crawford to have a new carbon front bumper made.

KMR RSR 001 12-04-2013 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Paddy 12-04-2013 11:30 PM

Damn, you don't mess about! Looks amazing, thanks for updating the thread. Truly a highlight of my day :)

porsche993gtrsr 12-08-2013 11:15 AM

Looks good !!, can't wait to see that tank finished

jdistefa 12-09-2013 12:49 AM

Mark,

Since you're sweating the details on aero and also concerned about long track/straight speed re. modern cups, have you considered the RUF a-pillar inserts?

http://www.rufonlinestore.com/Produc...R64-500-559-00

jscott82 12-09-2013 12:53 PM

Holy 'If I had all the money in the world", batman... :-)

(For anyone under 40, go back and watch an old batman TV show to get that comment....)

MrRoboto 12-11-2013 03:44 AM

This may just be the greatest thread in recent years. Thanks for sharing, you have sparked new passion in me for my car and aircooled Porsches in general. Awesome!

lopro 12-11-2013 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by KraZy007 (Post 10968849)
This may just be the greatest thread in recent years. Thanks for sharing, you have sparked new passion in me for my car and aircooled Porsches in general. Awesome!

indeed I have to agree, ive been on rennlist for 4 years nearly and I must say the same - This is possibly the best thread ive read. :to_order:

MrRoboto 12-11-2013 04:50 AM

BTW, I REALLY want that rear spoiler. Been looking for something like that for some time now. Any idea when these parts will be available for the general public? That rear bumper is quite tempting as well.... except my car is a narrow body.

Cory M 12-11-2013 12:35 PM

Top notch build. The guys in the shop probably love being able to get so creative and having the budget to do it right. Really cool. I can't imagine what all of the custom Crawford parts will cost, I contacted them a few years back about a set of those fender louvers and they wanted $700.

KMR RSR 001 12-11-2013 09:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys :) This is definitely a once in a life time project and I'm having a lot of fun along the way. I think the team at Kelly Moss are enjoying it too and the evolution of the car they originally built.

Matt you can see in one of these photos that the rain gutter has been removed from the a-pillars. This was done by Kelly Moss when the car was originally built.

KraZy007 the last parts (hood and front bumper) will go to Crawford soon. By the time the molds are complete and the new carbon parts made I expect it will be January before we make these available for sale. The parts that will be available in fiberglass and/or carbon include hood, front bumper, doors, side mirrors, rear tail base, rear wing, rear bumper, under trays (to make a flat floor), etc.

Fuel cell mock up has been prepped and is now ready to go to Crawford to have the can made out of carbon.

Fabrication continues on the tub. KM have added additional strength in some areas including a mini cage in the engine bay. The car is now on the rack and aligned 100% on all fixtures.

Rothsport Racing have started receiving engine parts. Crank, pistons, cams, etc are in and we're just waiting on the heads. I'll post some photos of these parts soon.

On Friday I'll be at Kelly Moss spending time getting the ergonomics right, looking at work in progress and discussing the last steps to complete the car.

KMR RSR 001 12-11-2013 09:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)

Kein_Ersatz 12-12-2013 03:06 PM

Great pics, nice cabinet art in the las pic :-)

KMR RSR 001 12-30-2013 09:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Recently I spent a day at Kelly Moss working on the fitting of the new seat/pedal box/steering column/shifter/dash. The new Recaro seat is a huge step forward in both safety and comfort. But it does require a lot of fabrication (floor and tunnel) to make it work in a 993.

Most of the fabrication to stiffen and reinforce the tub has been completed. Rear bumper has arrived and looks too good to paint! And it only weighs 5 lbs!

KMR RSR 001 12-30-2013 09:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Rear bumper...

Kein_Ersatz 12-31-2013 11:13 AM

Sweet! Almost seems a shame to paint it. :cheers:

Juha G 12-31-2013 11:48 AM

Looks awesome! I want!!!

What is the max width of the bumper? I believe i need a 73" wire bumper.

KMR RSR 001 12-31-2013 04:44 PM

From memory 75" but I'll get them to measure it on Friday and let you know.

Juha G 12-31-2013 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 11015446)
From memory 75" but I'll get them to measure it on Friday and let you know.

Could you ask them if they could make a 73" wide version?
I'd be all over it!

lopro 12-31-2013 06:58 PM

what is the final verdict about producing wing and bumper panels for forum members to buy?

what is your expected date of project completion?

JoeMag 01-01-2014 06:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Been a while since i've been on 993 forum and obviously missed this (not sure how). In any case... Nice!!

Regarding your fuel cell, not sure how many mounting points you're going to put on it, but I have the fuel safe pro cell from back in the day. It was bowing the floor down at the front mounting point. I just took out cell, "beat" floor back flat, and mounted piece of aluminum channel entire length of floor and put front mount point on it.

I've known other folks with similar cells and have had same issue.

lopro 01-11-2014 07:19 PM

bump, is the paint dry?

did you get the wheels in, you mentioned they may be ready before Christmas?

major dad 01-13-2014 09:37 PM

Just found this thread, great read and superb work. I race a 993 RSR Cup in the UK CSCC Modern Classics.

https://plus.google.com/photos/yourp...92655760752299

https://plus.google.com/photos/11311...92655760752299

https://plus.google.com/photos/11311...PXN3Nbrku-E2AE

https://plus.google.com/photos/11311...PXN3Nbrku-E2AE

Kein_Ersatz 01-15-2014 12:29 PM

:

Originally Posted by major dad (Post 11049348)
Just found this thread, great read and superb work. I race a 993 RSR Cup in the UK CSCC Modern Classics.

:thumbup: Nice car.

trophy 01-15-2014 12:52 PM

How much wider is this RSR from a Factory one at the rear?

KMR RSR 001 01-22-2014 06:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
lopro the car is expected to be finished by April. Yes, the plan is to make most if not all the body panels available for sale. I'll post more details when I have the pricing sorted out. Wheels and Motec wiring harness are due in any day now...

JoeMag thanks for the heads up about the fuel cell mounting. Mine will be carbon and use tabs that mount to the frame rails.

trophy I'm not sure of the width of my car vs. a factory RSR but will ask and let you know.

KMR RSR 001 01-22-2014 06:14 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Front bumper is now finished and will go to Crawford to have a mold and new bumper made. The last of the welding/filing holes and grinding off excess tabs is being done this week. Then the tub will be blasted, prepped and everything painted.

Kein_Ersatz 01-23-2014 03:01 PM

:corn:

porsche993gtrsr 01-24-2014 03:13 PM

nice work, I'm also curious about the width from a rsr and your car,

and why did you or recommended kelly mos you the gt3 cuts in your rear bumper instead of the solution from other teams and mike 5 or six vertical cuts in the rear bumper ? is there a big difference in drag reducing

KMR RSR 001 02-04-2014 01:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
porsche993gtrsr we were wanting to make newer functional updates and so went with the 997 style bumper vents. It was more about aero than managing temps. I don't think there will be cooling problem with my car because of the large front oil cooler/bumper and hood ducting as well as the tail base "scoop" (which is also from a 997). But this is all theory until we can get the car into the real world and do some testing... I'm guessing that the older style bumper cuts you are referencing might also be about managing temps? And maybe less about aero?

Crawford have finished more of the carbon parts.

Kein_Ersatz 02-04-2014 02:07 PM

Wow CF under trays, yowza!

http://www.stuffyouwillhate.com/wp-c...yed-indeed.jpg

trophy 02-04-2014 02:17 PM

I am interested in a bunch of those CF undertray parts, especially the centre tunnel cover, the stock steel one is heavy!!!

MrRoboto 02-04-2014 02:19 PM

drool...

chaoscreature 02-04-2014 02:29 PM

:bowdown: OMG, I am in love!
Someone needs to mass produce that rear bumper (in NB size of course :) )

Juha G 02-04-2014 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by trophy (Post 11105175)
I am interested in a bunch of those CF undertray parts, especially the centre tunnel cover, the stock steel one is heavy!!!

+1

Paddy 02-04-2014 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by trophy (Post 11105175)

+2

k722070 02-04-2014 07:09 PM

yeh, that carbon fiber center tunnel cover would fly off the shelves.

KMR RSR 001 02-08-2014 12:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just in...

Rey Gunn 02-08-2014 01:57 AM

Nice! What kind of wheels are those? Those are gonna look so good on the car!

Kein_Ersatz 02-08-2014 03:29 PM

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/6999/schwingzr0.jpg

Paddy 02-08-2014 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rey Gunn (Post 11115817)
Nice! What kind of wheels are those? Those are gonna look so good on the car!

Motegi MR120 Techno Mesh wheels.

porsche993gtrsr 03-02-2014 11:34 AM

any news ?

KMR RSR 001 03-11-2014 06:39 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The last of the fabrication on the tub has now been completed and it was sent out yesterday for blasting back to bare. Tunnel, floor and mount required for the new Recaro seat are amazing as is all the other work done.

KMR RSR 001 03-11-2014 06:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Motec hardware and wiring harness have arrived.

jstyer 03-11-2014 11:11 AM

WHOOOOAAA!!! This is the ultimate build. Awesome Motec gear. Those new harnesses are a sight to see. Where did you have them made?

trophy 03-11-2014 12:43 PM

Holy crap!!! That is a whole bunch of Motec hardware..... Love the Shock potentiometers, you will need a race engineer to analyze all the data! Unless you can do it yourself of course :)

MarkD 03-11-2014 06:51 PM

absolute insanity at its best...

go go go!

KMR RSR 001 03-22-2014 05:48 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Motec wiring harness and hardware were supplied by JGM. Yes, there will be a data engineer present most weekends :)

Tub is back from blasting. Prep/paint next...

KMR RSR 001 03-22-2014 05:49 AM

4 Attachment(s)
It looks like the first outing for the car after its finished will be PCA Watkins Glen at the end of May. We'll use this as a shake down and it will be a good point of reference because I was there last year for this event a week after I bought the car.

trophy 03-22-2014 01:45 PM

That is looking awesome.. What are you using as a firewall? I see there are areas built in for them to attach to.

mklaskin 03-22-2014 04:18 PM

The firewalls on the KMR-RSR's were carbon fiber panels, with gold shielding.

KMR RSR 001 04-03-2014 08:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes, the firewalls are carbon and the rear has gold shielding.

It's so good to see things starting to go on the car now (and not coming off anymore). Epoxy first...

KMR RSR 001 04-03-2014 08:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
And then Duratech...

KMR RSR 001 04-03-2014 08:05 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Most of the carbon parts from Crawford are in but we are still waiting on the fuel cell, tail base and front bumper. Here is a mock of the new wing assembly on the old tail base.

Sword_of_the_Spirit 04-03-2014 03:54 PM

Kelly Moss is a proper shop. I can still remember the first time walking into the place and taking a look at THE back shelf. 993 Turbo S, 930 Slants, Lizards, etc. have all graced that place. Too bad I missed seeing this bugger there.

Overall a great place to have work done on a 993. They did an awesome job helping me get get prepped for RA.

NP993 04-03-2014 04:12 PM

How do we get the metal under-trays in CF, please? Surely Crawford could pop out a few extras...

KMR RSR 001 04-06-2014 05:01 AM

A lot of the carbon parts will be made available for sale once 001 is finished.

Mock up of bodywork is being done now. Front bumper and splitter will now go off to Crawford to have the final parts made.

KMR RSR 001 04-06-2014 05:06 AM

4 Attachment(s)

KMR RSR 001 04-06-2014 05:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
More...

jstyer 04-06-2014 07:18 AM

I need some alone time after that... That thing is the hotness. The front bumper is awesome. Super racy with the splitter, but classic Porsche 3 hole. The wing, a better looking and surely more functional version of the original 993 RSR piece, but still looks nice and period with the 3.8 tailbase. I could go on and on... Congrats on a kick ass build. That car is gonna be super special.

lopro 04-20-2014 08:49 PM

BUMPITY

KMR RSR 001 04-21-2014 02:03 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Last little bits and pieces are being done on the tub before paint begins in earnest. Splitter and seat mounts have been done, only throttle and shifter cable mounts remain to be finished.

KMR RSR 001 04-21-2014 02:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Front bumper and splitter bucks are on the way to Crawford.

Rothsport is making progress on the engine and gearbox which will be finished in a couple of weeks. I'll post pictures when I get them.

Our first outing once the car is complete will be PCA Watkins Glen at the end of May.

KMR RSR 001 04-24-2014 10:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Rothsport have nearly finished the engine. It should be running on the engine dyno Monday.

Paddy 04-24-2014 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 11317367)
Rothsport have nearly finished the engine. It should be running on the engine dyno Monday.

Looks purdy! :cheers:

Bill Verburg 04-24-2014 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 11317367)

More info on the motor please
looks like no distributor, and Rothsports ITB setup
cams? crank? management?

Juha G 04-24-2014 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg (Post 11318418)
More info on the motor please
looks like no distributor, and Rothsports ITB setup
cams? crank? management?

And a cam position sensor => sequential injection (and ignition?)

rsscotty 04-24-2014 06:39 PM

I can tell you this much....

Rothsport headers, coil on plug, Motec M600 configured for sequential, dual lambda LSU 4.9, Rothsport slide valve injection & much, much more....

jstyer 04-24-2014 07:29 PM

I will one day own some rothsport slide valves... The CoP looks fantastic, so clean. I'm digging the early style fan as well. Looks much better than the stock 993/964 unit.

jdistefa 04-24-2014 10:32 PM

Mark,

Have you thought about a bigger front splitter?

See ya at the Glen :)

jdistefa 04-24-2014 10:33 PM

Oops... duplication

908/3fan 04-27-2014 01:15 PM

What a project! I'm speechless..

Congratulations.

KMR RSR 001 05-01-2014 08:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Engine has been run in on the dyno at Rothsport Racing and is now being mapped. Here are the specs from Jeff Gamroth:

4.0l displacement
80.4mm forged/ lightened crankshaft
102.7mm custom pistons and cylinders
Custom 4130 connecting rods
New custom cylinder heads
Special camshafts
Rothsport slide throttles
Motec M600 engine management system w/dual lambda
Rothsport stainless headers
Rothsport RSR style multi rib fan belt system
993TT fan housing and straight blade fan

Bill Verburg 05-01-2014 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 11334917)
Engine has been run in on the dyno at Rothsport Racing and is now being mapped. Here are the specs from Jeff Gamroth:

4.0l displacement
80.4mm forged/ lightened crankshaft
102.7mm custom pistons and cylinders
Custom 4130 connecting rods
New custom cylinder heads
Special camshafts
Rothsport slide throttles
Motec M600 engine management system w/dual lambda
Rothsport stainless headers
Rothsport RSR style multi rib fan belt system
993TT fan housing and straight blade fan

Beautiful!! That is the engine I want to have built for me, When I win the lottery

ReinerFink 05-01-2014 12:07 PM

Mmmmm.... I saw this being assembled a few weeks back when I picked up my trans/heads from Jeff. I think I barged in while they were discussing the deck height measurements. When I see this, I think of that Lego movie song "Everything is awesome" :)

-reiner

Cory M 05-01-2014 02:09 PM

this project just keeps getting better and better, incredible build

lopro 05-01-2014 03:00 PM

wow this is just off the wall, Impressive engine to go with an amazing car.

Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems 05-01-2014 03:33 PM

Not only is it pretty, but it makes good power, too. :)

rsscotty 05-02-2014 01:17 AM

Rothsport shop

7 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more pictures from our shop.

KMR RSR 001 05-02-2014 06:51 AM

5 Attachment(s)
It's great to see the engine come to life at Rothsport. 001 is now in the paint shop at Kelly Moss. I'm counting down the days until the car is finished and I see/drive it at Watkins Glen...

trophy 05-02-2014 11:09 AM

Great updates....

Interested in knowing what the difference in HP and TQ between the GT3 Plenum on the engine vs the Velocity stacks and large filters.

I can underdstand if you don't want to share the actual HP levels but the difference between the two intakes would be great

Kein_Ersatz 05-02-2014 02:10 PM

OMG! This is a great thread and a great build. Hope to see you out on track at WG, RA, or MO. :corn:

KMR RSR 001 05-03-2014 01:07 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Wet paint...

KMR RSR 001 05-03-2014 01:11 AM

On the dyno velocity stacks net 10 more peak hp, plenum has a little bit better torque down low. We'll use the stacks on the engine at Watkins Glen.

rsscotty 05-03-2014 01:54 AM

DYNO VIDEO LINK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SlX...ature=youtu.be

KaiB 05-03-2014 07:46 AM

Scott - congratulations to all of you on a FANTASTIC build.

Folks, as you know, the owner has opened his wallet and heart to allow Rothsport to build what we now know to be the pinnacle of years of research, work and absolute perfection in our air-cooled world.

(The same can be said for the work Moss is doing with the chassis).

I've been following this on the sidelines and can say that I've never witnessed the joy and satisfaction that this build has brought the shop - as well as the secrecy. NOBODY knows what the dyno results are, but I can assure you that they are spectacular. (please, later, if the owner releases them, let's not get into meaningless comparisons - as the results come from this dyno, in this shop.)

Proof of the pudding, of course, is how the car goes on track. I'm told by the boss himself that the owner is a salty driver and this should be a fun car to watch this season.

My build this winter will be based around GT4 for the very reason that this car exists (in GT3)!!!

Best of luck to KMR RSR, have fun and go fast.

trophy 05-05-2014 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 11339879)
On the dyno velocity stacks net 10 more peak hp, plenum has a little bit better torque down low. We'll use the stacks on the engine at Watkins Glen.

Thanks for the data point! Much appreciated..

pipingken1 05-05-2014 02:09 AM

Fantastic thread and all credit to KMR RSR 001 for living the dream.

I could almost change my summer vacation to visit this car (not sure my wife would agree)

Just for interest how long do you run an engine in on a dyno?

rsscotty 05-05-2014 11:31 AM

Engine run in

We do a specific procedure for 1 hour for initial engine run in. This is at certain load points and rpm with attention to getting the lambda number correct within a short period of running for every load site we are in.

pipingken1 05-06-2014 01:46 AM

We do a specific procedure for 1 hour for initial engine run in. This is at certain load points and rpm with attention to getting the lambda number correct within a short period of running for every load site we are in.
Okay, thanks for the info. Something I hadn't thought about before but I suppose the engine is built to 'blue print' standards that it can be freely used from the start and here you are trying to complete the full set up with the fuel system on the dyno.

KMR RSR 001 05-06-2014 07:41 AM

Everyone involved in this build is very passionate about it. Seeing everything starting to come together is really exciting. The work that Kelly Moss and Rothsport Racing have done is incredible. I'm now counting down the days until the car is finished and I can see/drive it...

Thanks for the engine updates Scott. Do you have any video of the pulls with the straight pipes?

KMR RSR 001 05-06-2014 07:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Dry paint...

KMR RSR 001 05-06-2014 07:42 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Roof going on...

KMR RSR 001 05-06-2014 07:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Roof finished...

rsscotty 05-06-2014 12:04 PM

Straight pipe video

I am currently working on the straight pipe configuration to make the optimal power throughout the 4-8k engine range. I will post the video as soon as I have something.

You will have to promise in car video with great engine sound...I can't wait for that!!!

I will also give Jeff the dyno sheets to email you.

jdistefa 05-06-2014 01:09 PM

Mark you are giving me more bad (expensive) ideas!!!!

Paddy 05-06-2014 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by jdistefa (Post 11347305)
Mark you are giving me more bad (expensive) ideas!!!!

Agreed!

MarkD 05-06-2014 06:36 PM

again, wow

thanks for the pics and detailed documentation
this is awesome

rsscotty 05-07-2014 03:31 AM

Rothsport dyno for KMR-001

We are finished mapping. Best overall package, response, results with the MoTec M600 I have ever seen. All of the planning and attention to every last detail paid off bigtime.

The engine is leaving tomorrow, air freight to Kelly Moss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Bt...r#action=share

Ed Hughes 05-07-2014 11:25 AM

What a piece!

KaiB 05-07-2014 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes (Post 11349836)
What a piece!

Beauty and joy, is it not?

rsscotty 05-08-2014 12:08 PM

COP heat shields

2 Attachment(s)
We needed to come up with something to keep header heat away from the lower coil on plug units. It also functions as a COP hold down.

trophy 05-08-2014 12:09 PM

Which cop units do you use for these engines?

jstyer 05-08-2014 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by rsscotty (Post 11352808)
We needed to come up with something to keep header heat away from the lower coil on plug units. It also functions as a COP hold down.

Nice simple/elegant solution. You guys truly are the best... The gold foil adds some nice engine bling as well!

rsscotty 05-09-2014 10:40 AM

COP

Originally Posted by trophy (Post 11352813)
Which cop units do you use for these engines?

These are a COP that I sourced out through extensive research and dyno testing, so they are pretty much a Rothsport proprietary item. They fit perfect with custom dust boots top and bottom to fit the 993 valve covers.
They have a number of benefits over everything we have tested.... they are built using current F1/F3 technology, designed for EMI/ RFI shielding and for high rpm use among other attributes such as great warranty.

We are also able to align the output specs to align with the MoTec M600 requirements on what it requires for dwell specs. Our MoTec engineer tested these and forwarded the technical numbers to us.

trophy 05-09-2014 11:14 AM

Will you sell a set?

rsscotty 05-09-2014 11:59 AM

COP

Call Jeff @ Rothsport 503 822 5061 or rothsport@frontier.com...mention the KMR thread build.

KMR RSR 001 05-10-2014 06:46 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Final paint prep...

KMR RSR 001 05-10-2014 06:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Final paint is going on...

KMR RSR 001 05-10-2014 06:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
New hood has just arrived. Chassis will be in the race shop on Monday and assembly will begin. Tires have been mounted on the new wheels ready to go on the car. Front bumper, splitters and rear deck lid will arrive next week, fuel cell the following week. Everything is starting to come together really quickly now.

mobonic 05-10-2014 08:05 AM

Wow. Just wow.

lopro 05-10-2014 09:24 AM

oh this is about to get real, they sure blended in that roof very well. Wheels look amazing. Are they light?

certz 05-10-2014 12:48 PM

Awesome! Cannot wait to see this in person at Watkins Glen.

perrew 05-12-2014 11:10 AM

This build is just amazing!! Fantastic attention to details. Any more info on the brake rotors? Tks P

NP993 05-12-2014 12:51 PM

Really wish there was a COP setup for street cars that could be run off the stock ECU. Caps, rotors, rat's nest of ignition wires, distributor belts and bearings -- it all could be gotten rid of.

KMR RSR 001 05-13-2014 07:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I don't have the wheel weight with me, my notes say less than 18lbs. From memory they are 16/17lbs.

Last time I asked details about the brakes were still under wraps. I'll ask again to see if more info can be made public.

Rear deck lid is finished.

KMR RSR 001 05-13-2014 07:06 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Fuel cell can is done, just waiting on the bladder to arrive so that it can be finished...

KMR RSR 001 05-13-2014 08:20 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The tub is finished and the engine and gearbox have arrived at Kelly Moss. Assembly has now begun...

KMR RSR 001 05-13-2014 08:21 AM

4 Attachment(s)
More...

KaiB 05-13-2014 08:30 AM

Are the raised seat mounts (the tub platforms) in accordance with the new CRR?

The big stink now revolves around the fact that Walt F. wants these reinforced with additional steel. None of this makes any sense, but one never knows what next year will bring.

Ed Hughes 05-13-2014 11:14 AM

Sheesh, I'm even drooling over the pedal cluster.....

trophy 05-13-2014 11:34 AM

I like the Box the engine was shipped in :)

KMR RSR 001 05-15-2014 07:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Front bumper has arrived. The recess around the air intakes is for the mesh grill. The Kelly Moss shop...

KMR RSR 001 05-15-2014 07:55 AM

5 Attachment(s)
We have decided the hood and front bumper look too good to paint. All other body panels are now in final paint. Carbon plugs look great.

KMR RSR 001 05-15-2014 07:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Suspension and brakes are starting to go in and the interior is coming together...

Paddy 05-15-2014 10:08 AM

Good lord this thing is a work of art and a real inspiration!

rnh204 05-15-2014 11:03 AM

Can't wait to see this animal at WGI end of the month.

lopro 05-15-2014 02:36 PM

all I gotta say is damn you lucky sob

KMR RSR 001 05-17-2014 02:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The guys at the Kelly Moss Race shop have made a tremendous amount of progress this week...

KMR RSR 001 05-17-2014 02:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Fuel cell has arrived and is being installed...

KMR RSR 001 05-17-2014 02:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Interior is coming together > Motec dash has been mounted on the steering column, the Motec engineer will be at Kelly Moss next week to do the wiring harness terminations and programming...

KMR RSR 001 05-17-2014 02:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Engine and gearbox are going in...

jstyer 05-17-2014 08:39 AM

Speechless...

Kein_Ersatz 05-17-2014 09:15 AM

:corn: await progress pictures each day. Along with a nice collection of Porsches on the storage racks in the back of that one photo was a nice nugget.

Ed Hughes 05-17-2014 10:43 AM

That is flying together!

I loved the stacked storage of cars on the one wall.

ReinerFink 05-17-2014 01:01 PM

Nice picture of the trans w/ cooler! Do you have an electric pump to circulate the fluid there?

jdistefa 05-17-2014 05:04 PM

Oh my God, the madness. Lookin good Mark :)

I think KMR 002 (with a water cooled engine if I recall) is sitting on the racks somewhere in the background watching all of this...

lopro 05-17-2014 06:52 PM

Im willing to bet that the kmr 002 is about as jelous as I am

jdistefa 05-23-2014 09:31 PM

T-minus one week.... any updates? Can't wait to see it!

KMR RSR 001 05-23-2014 11:27 PM

I've been travelling on business this week. Just landed in Chicago and will be at Kelly Moss all weekend working on final prep before the car goes on the transporter to Watkins Glen on Monday. Will post updates with photos over the weekend.

pirahna 05-23-2014 11:47 PM

Wow, that is a work of art!

KMR RSR 001 05-25-2014 12:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I arrived at Kelly Moss to see a new and better 001 that exceeded my expectations. The guys in the body and race shops have been pulling all nighters to get the car ready. We are almost there with only finishing touches tomorrow. First thing Monday morning the transporter will leave for Watkins Glen...

KMR RSR 001 05-25-2014 12:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
More...

KMR RSR 001 05-25-2014 12:41 AM

Test video 1.

KMR RSR 001 05-25-2014 12:43 AM

Test video 2.

esc911 05-25-2014 01:43 AM

Man, that thing is incredible.

jdistefa 05-25-2014 11:30 AM

Holy ****

lopro 05-25-2014 11:36 AM

we need more of this kinda thing in this forum

certz 05-25-2014 12:19 PM

Man that sounds mean :evilgrin: at idle. I cannot wait to see this in person next week.

jstyer 05-25-2014 03:01 PM

http://img.pandawhale.com/72963-moth...rs-m-wxua.jpeg

Holger3.2 05-25-2014 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by jdistefa (Post 11392925)
Holy ****

no further comment possible ...

Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems 05-25-2014 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by jdistefa (Post 11392925)
Holy ****

You shoulda heard it on the dyno! :)

jdistefa 05-25-2014 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems (Post 11393431)
You shoulda heard it on the dyno! :)

Did the Sirens speak to you Steven?

lopro 05-25-2014 09:15 PM

whats her wide chunk arse weigh? all that Cf must have put her down a dress size\

were going to need some video and outdoor natural light pics.

this car is unreal, Id love to know how well it handles with all that frontend scoopage

SuperUser 05-25-2014 10:33 PM

amazing!

Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems 05-26-2014 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by jdistefa (Post 11393691)
Did the Sirens speak to you Steven?

Not only "spoke" to me but rattled my chest; something that these things don't normally do. :) :)

It was an....experience.

KMR RSR 001 05-26-2014 08:18 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Alignment and final bits and pieces were being done yesterday. I'll post details of weight, etc when we get to the Glen.

KMR RSR 001 05-26-2014 08:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
More...

KMR RSR 001 05-26-2014 08:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
And more…

Next post will be from Watkins Glen :)

Kein_Ersatz 05-26-2014 10:02 AM

:corn:

Holger3.2 05-26-2014 03:18 PM

http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include...-gross_300.gif

Magdaddy 05-26-2014 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 11394515)
And more…

Next post will be from Watkins Glen :)

I'm thinking a road trip to WGI just might be in order for next weekend...I'm only a couple of hours away.

KMR RSR 001 05-27-2014 11:23 PM

2,490 wet with fuel and me in the car. Rules dictate 2,422 plus 50lb penalty for a total of 2,472.

KMR RSR 001 05-27-2014 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A year ago I purchased 001. Ownership began with seeing the car for the first time at Watkins Glen and then spending the PCA race weekend getting to know the car and working thru the small problems we encountered because it had not been run for many years. And now here I am a year later, back at Watkins Glen for the PCA weekend with the car developed as far as possible for a 993 chassis and air cooled motor, fully rebuilt after the tub was stripped back to bare metal and repainted.

This for me was a once in a lifetime project, undertaken with passion and vigour to create a car I wanted to own and race for many, many years to come. Just thinking about the car and looking at it puts a huge grin on my face. I can't wait to drive it tomorrow.

The car has surpassed my expectations in every way. Having my partners in crime Jeff Stone and Jeff Gamroth with me here at Warkins Glen completes the experience. What they and their teams at Kelly Moss Motorsport and Rothsport Racing have achieved is outstanding. The craftsmanship and engineering with every aspect of the car are world class if not worlds best and I'm confident that will result in performance at a level not seen with a naturally aspirated, air cooled 993 before. I would like to thank everyone involved in this project and will do my best to live up to the car by racing it well for as many years as I can keep driving.

The rubber hits the road tomorrow. Last year very early in the development process I set a GT3R lap record with the car at Road America. We are using this weekend at Watkins Glen as a shake down given there are so many new systems and components. But once we get the car set up my target is to break Chris Musante's GT3R lap record at Watkins Glen and my own at Road America later in the year, having a lot of fun along the way.

lopro 05-27-2014 11:58 PM

wow she is a queen, I cant wait to see the video of you slapping that a
Best of luck

Magdaddy 05-28-2014 09:14 AM

not to drag this thread off line...I'm planning on a day trip to WGI on Saturday to see/hear this car in person. I'm just a short 2 hour drive away, and can't miss the oppourtunity.

Anyway, it's been many, many years since I have been to the Glen, and never for a PCA Club event. Looking for suggestions, BTDT, heads up, etc. Any perks that a PCA member, and 993 owner should know about. Yes I will be driving the car, probably even take the bike rack off the roof for such a special occasion.

So, best gate to enter, best palce to get access to, best place to park, etc...would be greatly appreciated.

PM if you prefer.

thanks in advance

Kein_Ersatz 05-28-2014 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 11398467)
This for me was a once in a lifetime project, undertaken with passion and vigour to create a car I wanted to own and race for many, many years to come. Just thinking about the car and looking at it puts a huge grin on my face. I can't wait to drive it tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing the dream and your journey, for us with the 993 air cooled feaver, this is a wonderful story to follow.

Good luck @ WG, have fun! Hope you can make it to Mid-Ohio Club Race in mid Sept. No sure if I will make it up to RA for DE portion of TRAC this year, but would be great to see it out on track in person.

:biggulp:

Jacke2c 05-28-2014 05:55 PM

Incredible....

I occasionally invite my wife to see the really special builds here on Rennlist. This is one of them. She was very impressed with this one. After watching the video of it idling and then on the dyno her reply..."WOW, that car is a winner!" I agree. Your car is a real piece of work. KMR and Rothsport is going to be a hard combination to beat.

thedealmaker 05-28-2014 06:36 PM

Awesome! Any idea when it will be on the track at Watkins Glen this weekend? Class?
Rich

KaiB 05-28-2014 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by thedealmaker (Post 11400359)
Awesome! Any idea when it will be on the track at Watkins Glen this weekend? Class?
Rich

I'd wager GT3.

And rumor has it that Mark is bringing in a ringer to co-pedal the enduro.

rnh204 05-28-2014 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This thing is a monster!!

Awesome seeing it go on the track. Spits flames too.

thedealmaker 05-28-2014 07:20 PM

I can't find any classes or times anyplace....where should I look?

KaiB 05-29-2014 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by thedealmaker (Post 11400459)
I can't find any classes or times anyplace....where should I look?

Clubregistration.net will have the race roster and group index.

They also will have live scoring through race monitor.

thedealmaker 05-29-2014 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by KaiB (Post 11401543)
Clubregistration.net will have the race roster and group index.

They also will have live scoring through race monitor.

Got it!! Thanks!

thedealmaker 05-30-2014 12:16 PM

Anyone know what this car will run? I can only go one day and want very much to see it on the track
Rich

KaiB 05-30-2014 12:25 PM

Were I you, I'd peek at the schedule and watch the enduro...probably Sunday. Gamroth will be the co-shoe.

Pulled out of the first practice after 5 laps, hope all is OK...

thedealmaker 05-30-2014 12:31 PM

Thanks!

KMR RSR 001 05-30-2014 11:13 PM

After a couple of days which were pretty much faultless we had a problem this morning that cannot be rectified at the track and are done for the weekend. 001 is now on the trailer and will head back to Kelly Moss to be prepped for Road America.

But all is not lost for the weekend. I have just bought a well known GT4 car which will arrive at Watkins Glen in a few hours and we will line up for the sprint races on Saturday and enduro on Sunday.

It's been a pretty hectic few days. I'll post further updates over the weekend.

Sword_of_the_Spirit 05-31-2014 02:36 AM

Hmmmm....A new racer. I wonder if it is silver and also based on the 993 (Dawes)? If so, that is a nice piece of equipment.

KaiB 05-31-2014 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 11406241)
After a couple of days which were pretty much faultless we had a problem this morning that cannot be rectified at the track and are done for the weekend. 001 is now on the trailer and will head back to Kelly Moss to be prepped for Road America.

But all is not lost for the weekend. I have just bought a well known GT4 car which will arrive at Watkins Glen in a few hours and we will line up for the sprint races on Saturday and enduro on Sunday.

It's been a pretty hectic few days. I'll post further updates over the weekend.

Too bad Mark. Given the carnage this weekend, perhaps this is a good thing.

Congratulations on what I believe to be the Yonkers car...drive it well and have fun. Glad to see it in a good home.

Magdaddy 05-31-2014 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by KaiB (Post 11406715)
Too bad Mark. Given the carnage this weekend, perhaps this is a good thing.

Congratulations on what I believe to be the Yonkers car...drive it well and have fun. Glad to see it in a good home.

carnage continued today...some wasn't pretty. That being said, the sound of so many sequential gear box cup cars, is still ringing in my ears. Happy to have meet both Mark Whyman's...father and son there today. Thanks so much for your time and conversation.

KMR-RSR-001 looks pretty incredible even stationary, in the shade. The sheer amount of top drawer cars, and talent there today, was cool as hell. Even meet and talked to a gentleman who drove his 993 TTS white/cash...with 6800 miles, yes 6800 miles-he parked right next to me in the paddock.

What a great day, took all the back roads home to celebrate. I was probably an hour out of WGI before I thought I could even hear my Stage lll's.

Nader Fotouhi 06-01-2014 10:15 AM

Glad to read that the car is "fine." Hope you will get it sorted out. I was watching Race-Monitor and saw that it was not running in either sprints and hoped it was just mechanicals. I know "wishing only mechanicals" to keep someone from racing sounds like an oxymoron, but given the number of recent carnage recently in PCA, I could not imagine such a beautiful car being damaged.

KaiB 06-01-2014 07:11 PM

Seems our boys put on a show in a car neither had seen, much less driven until the day of the endure.

Best lap time is better than MANY of the 6 and 7Cups. Won GT4!!!

14 #751 M. WHYMAN / J. GAMROTH GT4
Laps Total Time Best Lap Best Time Diff Gap
GT 96 993

38 01:31:45.215 16 01:59.790 1.400
SILVER

Sword_of_the_Spirit 06-01-2014 10:42 PM

That is sweet. Was it actually with the Ol' Yonkers (Dawes) car? I thought long and hard about picking that up.
Credit must be given to that car (yet to be confirmed). It was about as well a setup on a 993 as you can possibly get.

I was beat twice on Rennlist by a day or two......

jdistefa 06-06-2014 01:28 PM

^ Yup, with Yonk's previous buggy.

908/3fan 06-18-2014 06:55 AM

Gorgeous car. It came along nicely!

lopro 06-18-2014 10:33 AM

any updates - what was the issue that kept you from ringing her neck?

Holger3.2 07-18-2014 09:25 AM

Opps, what happened here?

any news?

Paddy 07-18-2014 11:40 AM

Also, any update and KMR selling the under body panels and various other goodies?

KMR RSR 001 07-20-2014 09:05 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Since leaving Watkins Glen I have been really busy and haven't had a chance to post an update.

Fog delayed the start to the first DE sessions but provided an eerie setting for photos. Watching the fog roll thru the garages during the drivers meeting was something I won't forgot. Once the fog cleared we were able to get out on track. 001 performed really well right from the first session, all we changed were shock settings and each time out we were able to work on programming the electronics. There was a lot of traffic on both DE days but in spite of this and running on Michelin's with 10-15 heat cycles we were able to get into the low 1.59's consistently.

So I was looking forward to Friday's practice sessions and being on the grid with other fast cars... But towards the end of the first practice session an engine problem developed that on closer inspection in the pits couldn't be rectified at the track. Unfortunately that bought our shake down to a premature end. 001 had shown the potential we know the car is. We'll now wait for Road America to unlock the performance the car is capable of.

001 exceeded my expectations, the engineering and quality of finish are incredible. Kelly Moss and Rothsport did a fantastic job.

The engine has been torn down, inspected and reassembled. Everything looks good and its now being installed in 001 ready for Road America which is only a few weeks away...

KMR RSR 001 07-20-2014 09:07 AM

5 Attachment(s)
More...

KMR RSR 001 07-20-2014 09:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
And more...

KMR RSR 001 07-20-2014 09:22 AM

So at Watkins Glen on Friday I went looking for an engine and ended up buying a car. Dan was great to deal with and thanks to the help of Peter Dawe we were ready for Saturday's warm up. The silver GT4 993 was easy to drive and fast. With no qualifying time we started at the back of the grid for the first race but managed to set a class lap record, win the second race and the enduro setting new class lap records along the way. It was a lot of fun and much better than watching the races from the pits!

Holger3.2 07-20-2014 02:33 PM

Thanks for the update Mark

for sure more to come ... http://kellerasyl.forumprofi.de/wcf/...s/thumbsup.png

GMS03 07-20-2014 07:07 PM

never tempted to put plates on it and go to a mountain road?

pipingken1 07-21-2014 03:11 AM

So at Watkins Glen on Friday I went looking for an engine and ended up buying a car
Sort of thing that happens all the time !!

You are living my dream, I just love this thread please keep updating it.

Kein_Ersatz 07-21-2014 11:52 AM

Great photos! Great thread! Great project! :cheers:

lopro 09-03-2014 10:02 PM

bump for some recent record breaking action

KMR RSR 001 09-18-2014 09:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Recently I was able to continue the shakedown of 001 (interrupted by a mechanical at Watkins Glen) at the PCA Road America event. 001 was incredible, times fell throughout Friday's test/tune and Saturday's practice as I got more comfortable learning the cars limits. My qualifying time for race 1 was OK, in the race itself after passing a couple of cars I was able to get some decent laps in, the best being 2.15.6 which was 4.5 secs faster than my class record time from last year! Unfortunately we had another unrelated mechanical issue that couldn't be rectified at the track. The problem has been easily identified and rectified. So I can't wait to get back on the track with 001 soon.

001 is now complete and the project has come to an end. Now its just about racing the car and enjoying it for what it is.

Here are some photos and a video from Road America.

KMR RSR 001 09-18-2014 09:18 AM

4 Attachment(s)
More photos.

jstyer 09-18-2014 10:26 AM

What is there to say?... So glad you chronicled this build on here. Thanks again for the amazing inspiration!

Paddy 09-18-2014 12:45 PM

Great pictures Mark. Any updates on when KMR will make some of the parts on your car available?

nr1416 09-18-2014 01:01 PM

Looks like a track Beast! well done

Kein_Ersatz 09-19-2014 03:57 PM

:cheers:

Cory M 09-19-2014 04:03 PM

what a phenomenal build

boxcarracer 09-19-2014 04:59 PM

I love the pass at 2:45.

KaiB 09-19-2014 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by boxcarracer (Post 11661709)
I love the pass at 2:45.

That was Jeff Gamroth (Rothsport), the guy who built Mark's engine...in his 993RSR.

preston_brown 03-19-2015 01:13 AM

Mark,

Amazing car. Glad I just read this thread.

And updates on how the car performed in the rest of 2014, and the beginning of 2015? What are the plans for the car the rest of this year?

jstyer 03-19-2015 01:22 AM

Just watched the above video for the first time, don't know how I missed it before. Awesome double pass at the 2:40 mark on a 997 cup and Gamroth's RSR. I can't believe how late this car can brake. You need some dive bomber shark teeth graphics on that bad boy. :)

jdistefa 03-20-2015 02:19 PM

Having had the pleasure of seeing this car in person.... the execution and level of fit & finish is second to none.

Mark, hopefully will see you at the Glen in May :)

Bill Verburg 03-20-2015 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by jdistefa (Post 12135851)
Having had the pleasure of seeing this car in person.... the execution and level of fit & finish is second to none.

Mark, hopefully will see you at the Glen in May :)

You going to Cups & Saucers?

jdistefa 03-20-2015 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg (Post 12135917)
You going to Cups & Saucers?

No, sadly.

Specbox shakedown April 29 (significant rebuild this winter) then PCA race end of May.

Likely will be down for CHIN May 18/19 to coach but uncertain if schmurfy will be back together.

Lemme know your plans, could meet down there later in the season and have two blue cars :)

Bill Verburg 03-20-2015 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by jdistefa (Post 12136304)
No, sadly.

Specbox shakedown April 29 (significant rebuild this winter) then PCA race end of May.

Likely will be down for CHIN May 18/19 to coach but uncertain if schmurfy will be back together.

Lemme know your plans, could meet down there later in the season and have two blue cars :)

WGI is closeing early this year because they are repaving the whole track, I think after the NASCAR event in Aug.

I'll be there for C&S, then 4 days in June w/ CVR and Niagara

KMR RSR 001 04-05-2015 08:45 AM

It looks like I'll be at COTA with 001. Rothsport have produced a carbon plenum which has added 5-10hp and more torque. Kelly Moss are getting the soft and medium Michelin's shipped over from Europe (not available in the U.S. in 27/65 and 31/71) for tire testing. I'm looking forward to getting back in the car and my first event at COTA.

Juha G 04-05-2015 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 12179893)
Kelly Moss are getting the soft and medium Michelin's shipped over from Europe (not available in the U.S. in 27/65 and 31/71) for tire testing. I'm looking forward to getting back in the car and my first event at COTA.

What are the wheel sizes you will run with these tires?

KMR RSR 001 04-07-2015 07:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Juha I don't have the wheels specs with me but from memory they are +/- 11 and 13". Kelly Moss spent a lot of time getting the widths and offsets right working from the Motegi blanks that were available. If you need more details I can get the info for you.

Here are some photos of the new intake system. The engine has finished testing on the Rothsport dyno (with good hp and torque gains at the bottom and top end of the rev range) and is now being shipped to Kelly Moss who will prep the car for COTA...

Juha G 04-07-2015 07:54 AM

Thanks!

I think I will be running the following setup:

front 27/65/18 on a 11.5x18" wheel
rear 31/71/18 on a 13.5x18" wheel

The wheel width is from the upper limit of the michelin spec for those tires. I am hoping I get a little stretch so the tire tucks nicely into the fender plus the monstrous rear tire will be just a tad bit smaller in diameter.

The engine is just a piece of art! :bowdown:

Juha G 04-07-2015 08:09 AM

The 31/71/18 is a MONSTER tire:

http://m3supercar.1g.fi/kuvat/993/GT...g/_img1280.jpg

KMR RSR 001 04-21-2015 06:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The hood and front bumper have now been painted and 001 is being prepped for COTA.

Aaron 993C2 04-21-2015 08:58 AM

I hope in twenty years when I can do something like this I can go back and find these threads for inspiration. That. Engine. Oh. My.

KMR RSR 001 05-04-2015 11:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Kelly Moss have created a duct with filter from the deck lid air intake to the Rothsport carbon plenum.

Forty-six and 2 09-10-2015 03:03 AM

Unbelievably beautiful! My jaw is on the floor.

KMR RSR 001 09-11-2015 07:17 AM

Plenum can be purchased from Rothsport Racing 503-822-5061.

KMR RSR 001 09-11-2015 07:37 AM

My first trip to COTA for the PCA event in May was a lot of fun. The facility is incredible. In both sprint races (I didn't do the enduro) 001 finished well overall, winning GT3 and setting a new class record of 2.16.6 (6 seconds faster than the previous record).

I have tried to upload some photos but have exceeded the storage limit. Does anyone know how to increase this?

k722070 09-11-2015 10:56 AM

might be just your membership expired so pics are limited?

would love to see some video from cota, especially with embedded data.

breljohn 03-21-2016 05:51 PM

Nice article in Panorama

_snowbird_ 04-05-2016 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by breljohn (Post 13126837)
Nice article in Panorama

I just read it tonight. Fantastic project and great images!

mr_bock 04-06-2016 08:17 PM

What an incredible project and the attention to detail getting everything right!!!!!
Thanks for documenting the build and experience driving her... as you said earlier, a once in a lifetime experience!!!!!!
Best wishes and tons of fun!!!!!!

dariog 05-09-2016 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by breljohn (Post 13126837)
Nice article in Panorama

Thanks for bringing the thread up, great reading and even the greater project!

Paddy 10-25-2017 12:30 AM

Mark, any 2017 updates?

rg0115 10-25-2017 01:12 AM

Badass

cgfen 10-25-2017 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 12257229)
Kelly Moss have created a duct with filter from the deck lid air intake to the Rothsport carbon plenum.

I don't even want to think about how I stumbled in your pit area, at the RR V reunion, and nearly fell into the car's hood that was sitting on a barrel................

KMR RSR 001 08-06-2018 05:51 PM

2018 updates...

997 RSR motor installed
Revised front end air intake and ducting
Rear diffuser installed

001 is finished and ready to race. After a long break I'll be at PCA Road America :)

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f6ec9864d.jpeg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7fc0a4bef.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...238d7b274.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...04272e0b6.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b9ed2b666.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...543865cdf.jpeg

KMR RSR 001 08-06-2018 05:55 PM

A BIG thanks to Kelly-Moss Racing and PMNA.

Cory M 08-06-2018 06:27 PM

Badass! Will you be at the Rennsport Reunion?

KMR RSR 001 08-06-2018 06:33 PM

Waitlist ��

My workers choice award from the last RSR didn’t seem to count for much. I think the lack of racing and switch to P2 worked against me...

Ed Hughes 08-06-2018 06:50 PM

Nice! How did you work out the heat exchange with the H2O motor?

KMR RSR 001 08-09-2018 04:26 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...21075906db.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8ac9e2149b.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...849ded3e35.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0c94e45982.jpg
Oil cooler which was mounted in the front compartment has been swapped out for a larger radiator (can be seen in one of the photos above) and water lines plumbed through the transmission tunnel.

Diffuser jewellery...

cgfen 08-09-2018 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 15195460)
A BIG thanks to Kelly-Moss Racing and PMNA.

FRANKENSTEIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
not in a bad way.
hope to see / hear this car again.

time115 11-12-2018 10:25 PM

What an incredible car it is

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2754a318b3.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...fde28849ce.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...84f7f68c11.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1de4b5193d.jpg

Kein_Ersatz 11-13-2018 05:22 PM

Have seen (rooted for) Mark at PCA Club Race @ Road America and Daytona. This is an amazing build, he keeps the Cup guys watching their mirrors, bet it rattles them to see a 993 gaining on them :thumbsup:

Kelly has taken this platform to the next level...

Ipe 11-13-2018 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by time115 (Post 15427081)

Amazing built and performance of this car! I thought it was still air cooled but from the picture I suppose it is not anymore.

johnnydiii 02-04-2021 08:20 AM

Fender Louvers Need Source

Hello. Anybody know where KMR RSR 001 got the fender louvers for this car? Tried PM but no luck. Thx
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...98fb304946.jpg
KMR RSR 001 fender louver

Cory M 02-04-2021 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by johnnydiii (Post 17209934)
Hello. Anybody know where KMR RSR 001 got the fender louvers for this car? Tried PM but no luck. Thx
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...98fb304946.jpg
KMR RSR 001 fender louver

Crawford Composites

Vision Motorsports also sells some fender louvers that work