Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   KMR-RSR 001 > development and rebuild. (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/783101-kmr-rsr-001-development-and-rebuild.html)

KMR RSR 001 10-25-2013 05:16 PM

KMR-RSR 001 > development and rebuild.

After racing my 996 Cup for several years I was ready for something else. For months I debated with myself options of going newer (997 Cup hot rod, Cup S, RSR, etc) or older (993 hot rod, RSR, etc). I wanted something that I could race and be competitive in, primarily with PCA and most importantly have a lot of fun with. In the end I decided to go older and so the search for an air cooled car began. There were a few 993 RSR’s for sale at the time but for various reasons I wasn’t interested in any of these cars. And then I stumbled on KMR-RSR 001. There were 2 of these built by Kelly Moss Racing back in the day to compete against the factory RSR’s. There is an interesting back story about these cars which I won’t document here. After some phone calls and research I decided this was the car and bought it a week before the PCA event at Watkins Glen.

The car had been sitting on the rack and had not raced for several years. Kelly Moss did a fantastic job prepping and transporting the car in less than a week and on Friday morning I got to see it for the first time. The car exceeded my expectations and I was looking forward to my first time racing at Watkins Glen. Somewhat as expected we had several small problems that took all weekend to sort through. This meant I sat out some sessions and didn’t get as much track time as hoped but I really enjoyed driving the car. And I loved Watkins Glen! My best time of the weekend in GT3R was 2.00 which came in the last laps of my last session (the red flagged enduro).

Coming away from Watkins Glen I was really happy with the car but wanted it to be developed in some areas to improve overall performance. Kelly Moss set to work:

Ergonomic changes in the car for comfort and safety
993 Clubsport rear decklid mated to a 997 Cup air ram intake
Crawford Grand Am rear wing
Dive plains (removable) for the front bumper
Rothsport Racing billet short shifter
Carbon brakes with 997 Cup calipers
Increased spring rates

With these changes made it was off to Road America, one of my favorite tracks, for the PCA Labor Day weekend event. The car looked awesome as it rolled off the transporter at Road America. Right from the get go on Friday morning we had a fuel starvation/electrical problem that we spent all weekend chasing. After we finally diagnosed and fixed the problem I was able to get some decent laps in during the Monday morning enduro warm up and qualifying. My race went well right up until the left rear upright failed, caused by a problem with the toe link. I managed a best time in the race of 2.20.1, a new GT3R lap record.

The car showed awesome potential and I felt there was room for further development. So back to Kelly Moss the car went for:

ATL fuel cell
Teves ABS
AP pedal box
JRZ 3 way shocks
CAE shifter
Motec upgrades
Aero updates (front bumper, ducted hood, louvered fenders, rear bumper)
Tub back to bare and repainted

Jeff Gamroth at Rothsport Racing is building a 4.0l motor for the car which will be mated to a 996 Cup gearbox.

Throughout the rebuild process I’ll post updates. The car should be finished by year end and I look forward to doing some testing early next year.

KMR RSR 001 10-25-2013 05:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Photos from Watkins Glen.

KMR RSR 001 10-25-2013 05:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Upgrades for Road America.

KMR RSR 001 10-25-2013 05:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More...

KMR RSR 001 10-25-2013 05:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Photos from Road America.

trophy 10-25-2013 05:25 PM

What an amazing car, thanks for sharing...

KMR RSR 001 10-25-2013 05:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More from Road America...

trophy 10-25-2013 05:28 PM

How about some engine bay detail :)

KMR RSR 001 10-25-2013 05:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Fender louvers have been done. AP pedals and new carbon dash have arrived. So has the new oil cooler which will be mounted in the trunk. Air will be ducted from the front bumper thru the oil cooler and out the hood. More to come next week...

Juha G 10-25-2013 05:42 PM

Wow! I love these cars!!!

KMR RSR 001 10-25-2013 05:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
trophy here is what it looked like before and now. Kelly Moss has nearly finished mocking everything up. Then the tub (which has a carbon roof and quarter panels) will get striped back to bare and painted.

trophy 10-25-2013 05:50 PM

Thanks, that is great. Looking forward to seeing this progress..

KMR RSR 001 10-25-2013 06:00 PM

Here is the in car video from the enduro and Road America.

jdistefa 10-25-2013 06:58 PM

Stunning car. I drooled over it at the Glen. With a 4 liter and those brakes you should be hassling a lot more 7-cups.

May I make one suggestion to move the remote reservoir canisters out of the engine bay?

Look forward to more :)

Oh, and nice drivin!

AOW162435 10-25-2013 08:48 PM

I drooleth. Very nice.

Andreas