Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   KMR-RSR 001 > development and rebuild. (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/783101-kmr-rsr-001-development-and-rebuild.html)

Mark in Baltimore 10-27-2013 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by 007DT (Post 10860646)
My pants are fitting a bit tighter now.

My thoughts exactly!

Thanks for posting this car!

mobonic 10-27-2013 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 10860807)
mobonic I would guesstimate the running costs to be the same as a 996 Cup. After 4+ years with a 996 Cup I know what the real costs of running the car are. I have only raced KMR-RSR 001 at 2 events and so don't have a complete picture of running costs yet. Michelin's are being used on both cars and typically I would go thru 3 sets in a weekend. The new engine (being built by Rothsport Racing) will be good for 50-80 hours before needing a freshen up and a 996 Cup gearbox is going to be used. The carbon brakes are awesome, reducing rotating mass and providing unrivaled stopping power, and expected to have a long life before the rotors need to be replaced. So net net I think it will be a wash and running costs will be about the same. But this was only part of my decision making process. I also wanted something cool that could be tinkered with and developed along the way. And did I mention how much fun it is to drive? Way more than the 996 Cup which was a great first race car but lacked character. GT3R is a great class and there are a lot of really good cars/drivers out there with more cars being built. The air cooled short wheel base car is so much fun to drive. Our goal when the car is finished is to be competitive with the fastest 997 Cups.

Well good for you for doing this and resurrecting a great car. The build is great and I love that you are making it your own and developing it, i love that part of racing...

With the short wheel base this car must rotate on a dime! I agree that these "older" aircooled race cars have more character and grit and "feel" than the newer cars and I would love to race a car like this one day.

I'll be following the progress... great job.

By the way what chassis is the car based on? What was done to it to get it to this point?

Paddy 10-28-2013 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 10860807)
Juha and Paddy, I'll check with Jeff at Kelly Moss about producing the bumper for you. The bodywork on my car is a one off and very wide. My new rear bumper might work on a wide body car (using RSR/GT2 flares) or could be altered to work on a narrow body car. It is being made by Crawford using high quality carbon and won't be cheap...

mobonic I would guesstimate the running costs to be the same as a 996 Cup. After 4+ years with a 996 Cup I know what the real costs of running the car are. I have only raced KMR-RSR 001 at 2 events and so don't have a complete picture of running costs yet. Michelin's are being used on both cars and typically I would go thru 3 sets in a weekend. The new engine (being built by Rothsport Racing) will be good for 50-80 hours before needing a freshen up and a 996 Cup gearbox is going to be used. The carbon brakes are awesome, reducing rotating mass and providing unrivaled stopping power, and expected to have a long life before the rotors need to be replaced. So net net I think it will be a wash and running costs will be about the same. But this was only part of my decision making process. I also wanted something cool that could be tinkered with and developed along the way. And did I mention how much fun it is to drive? Way more than the 996 Cup which was a great first race car but lacked character. GT3R is a great class and there are a lot of really good cars/drivers out there with more cars being built. The air cooled short wheel base car is so much fun to drive. Our goal when the car is finished is to be competitive with the fastest 997 Cups.

Thanks for checking Mark. I have a feeling we could probably get a few others interested in a rear bumper.

-Paddy

trophy 10-28-2013 06:57 PM

+993 :)

KMR RSR 001 10-28-2013 10:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Juha and Paddy I spoke with Jeff today about the bumper and have sent you a PM.

mobonic there is an interesting back story about the cars initial build and development. But I didn't want to get into that here in any detail. There is a Rennlist member and former owner of the car that knows the history of the car well and might share it with us... In short and as I understand it, 001 + 002 were built by Kelly Koss back in the day to compete against the factory 993 RSR's. They used the Porsche Motorsport engine and gearbox from the 993 RSR but everything else was bespoke > carbon bodywork, firewalls and dash, roll cage, Penske shocks, etc, etc and they cost significantly more than the factory RSR's. The premise and goal being that with the same drivetrain they could beat the factory cars. The story goes that when the cars rolled off the transporter at Road America the KMR-RSR's were 6 seconds a lap faster than the factory 993 RSR's. For some reason soon after the KMR-RSR's were banned from pro racing. They were seen at some PCA and other events for a few years under different ownership. Then 001 sat for the last several years before I bought it. 002 was extensively redeveloped about 10 years ago and is now powered by an unrestricted 996 GT3R motor with a cable shift gearbox and new bodywork developed in the Penske wind tunnel (amongst other things). This is what I have picked up from previous owners, research and publications (Panorama and Excellence) that have featured the cars over the years. All of which is interesting but not why I bought the car. I did so because it served as a perfect platform for what I wanted to do. After racing the car a couple of times for me it was clear how I wanted the car developed to bring it up to date, realize all its potential and yet keep it sympathetic to the original intent and design of the car. And here we are...

New parts arrived today. Teves will be have in car adjustment for how intrusive the ABS is and for front/rear bias. CAE shifter is for the cable shifting 996 Cup gearbox that will be used in the car,

mklaskin 10-29-2013 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001 (Post 10864623)
Juha and Paddy I spoke with Jeff today about the bumper and have sent you a PM.

mobonic there is an interesting back story about the cars initial build and development. But I didn't want to get into that here in any detail. There is a Rennlist member and former owner of the car that knows the history of the car well and might share it with us... In short and as I understand it, 001 + 002 were built by Kelly Koss back in the day to compete against the factory 993 RSR's. They used the Porsche Motorsport engine and gearbox from the 993 RSR but everything else was bespoke > carbon bodywork, firewalls and dash, roll cage, Penske shocks, etc, etc and they cost significantly more than the factory RSR's. The premise and goal being that with the same drivetrain they could beat the factory cars. The story goes that when the cars rolled off the transporter at Road America the KMR-RSR's were 6 seconds a lap faster than the factory 993 RSR's. For some reason soon after the KMR-RSR's were banned from pro racing. They were seen at some PCA and other events for a few years under different ownership. Then 001 sat for the last several years before I bought it. 002 was extensively redeveloped about 10 years ago and is now powered by an unrestricted 996 GT3R motor with a cable shift gearbox and new bodywork developed in the Penske wind tunnel (amongst other things). This is what I have picked up from previous owners, research and publications (Panorama and Excellence) that have featured the cars over the years. All of which is interesting but not why I bought the car. I did so because it served as a perfect platform for what I wanted to do. After racing the car a couple of times for me it was clear how I wanted the car developed to bring it up to date, realize all its potential and yet keep it sympathetic to the original intent and design of the car. And here we are...

New parts arrived today. Teves will be have in car adjustment for how intrusive the ABS is and for front/rear bias. CAE shifter is for the cable shifting 996 Cup gearbox that will be used in the car,

Mark's history of his car is correct. Funny story: the car originally belonged to the head of the modem division at US Robotics. Allegedly, he would often fly his helicopter to races, and as the story goes, his wife said he could have one toy or the other...I have no idea if that's a true story, but it adds to the legend of the car.

Afterwards, it was sold to a neurosurgeon based in Indy, who then traded (for a 996 Cup) to the owner of a bus company on the east coast. I purchased it from the 3rd owner in early 2005. In the spring of 2008 I sent the chassis to Kelly Moss for restoration and the guys there did a fantastic job of repairing the carbon and painting to an almost show-car like quality. I also had the engine rebuilt and added the Motec dash and ECU. While all of this was happening, my brother and I decided to buy Dad a 997 Cup for his 65th, and the lure of the Cup was too strong....I thoroughly enjoyed owning it and regret selling it often. It was fast, supple, and fun. Mark is the perfect custodian of 001 and seeing his advancements has been a pleasure. I have no doubt that he will take it to the next level.

mobonic 10-29-2013 03:45 PM

Awesome!

dave morris 10-29-2013 05:00 PM

Really enjoyed your video. Thanks! Wonderful to see such a fabulous and fast car in such talented hands.

Would I be correct assuming you were running right at or near the top in your Cup? Seeing your patience and racing skills should be educational for lots of drivers.

jdistefa 10-31-2013 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Paddy (Post 10864102)
Thanks for checking Mark. I have a feeling we could probably get a few others interested in a rear bumper.

-Paddy

Mark,

I'd be interested as well.

TIA,
Matt

KMR RSR 001 11-02-2013 08:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
dave, yes I was starting to get pretty competitive in the 996 Cup. But my problem is lack of seat time. Last year I was only able to race once in the Cup, this year twice in KMR-RSR 001. Family and work commitments are taking priority.

Rear deck lid and bumper will go to Crawford on Monday. They will produce a mold and then new carbon parts for use on the car. We are also going to make a hood similar to whats used on 002 which allows air to be ducted from the front bumper thru the oil cooler and out the hood. Once the car is finished we'll work out a cost for these parts (and others that are still WIP) and make them available for sale if anyone is interested.

KMR RSR 001 11-02-2013 08:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The car is going to have a completely new wiring harness made and get some hardware upgrades. Motec spent a couple of days this week planning out the wiring harness and locations for the hardware in the car. The upgrades include Motec ADL3, HD video and PDM with RaceGrade GPS and Keypad. The existing M600 will be retained.

jdistefa 11-04-2013 10:11 AM

Mark,

Is your Crawford wing a 72"?

MarkD 11-04-2013 04:40 PM

such a cool thread

Thanks for the posts!

KMR RSR 001 11-04-2013 05:16 PM

Matt, per PCA rules "no spoilers, wings, or air dams may be wider than the basic bodywork of the car", which with my car is 75" at the rear wheels. So to be safe in the end I think we decided on a 74" Crawford wing.

jdistefa 11-04-2013 06:21 PM

^ ok, thx Mark

just talking to crawford about a 60" wing for my car

thread is great and inspirational, keep it coming :)