993 Project in Excellence Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:31 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 993 Project in Excellence Magazine

Hi All....

As many of you know a while back I started down the road of an engine rebuild after a nasty surprise at the end of 2011. Well the outcome of these findings are now the subject of a Project series in Excellence Magazine, with the first installment out now in the November 2013 issue.

With all of the interest on this forum around projects (Juha and the Monster, Matt and the Smurf etc) I always thought I would put up my engine build on the forum for all to view, and hopefully drool over. Well the Magazine of course doesn't like their projects to be 'outed' so I have had to be a little quiet on the subject.

A good friend of mine Doug Neilson (DJN Here in Rennlist) is writing the series. Doug was also behind the now famous Centerlock thread over on the GT3 Forum and its subsequent article in Excellence, as well as many other atricles in Excellence, European Car (One on my car in there as well).

I hope you guys enjoy the first article and the series, I think it puts a slightly different perspective on projects and presents as a technical/story based article that makes for a great read (of course i have to say that ). You will also notice a cameo appearance of Rennlist Moderator Marc Shaw (964 Board) in the opening shot in his Black 964, as always behind me .

I would also like to open this thread up as a place to ask questions on the article, the project or generally just give me a hard time. I will update any additional information here if your interested!

I would like to thank, Doug, as always the friend, enabler and sounding board, for suggesting the path and supporting me on the rebuild and articles. As the series goes on I will also have a bunch of people to thank, but cannot let too much out of the bag.

Lastly, I have to thank my beautiful wife, for the understanding, the budget and of course the time to do a project of this magnitude....

and happy reading.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:36 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw the article,and thought it was a nice direction for the magazine. I'll have a hard time waiting for the next issue.

Emerald
Old 10-01-2013, 02:11 AM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed the article and am glad to find you here because I instantly had a question:

Is the IMS thrust bearing failure common (i.e. only a matter of time) or not (outlier occurrence)?

Last edited by acao; 10-01-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:46 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I also enjoyed the article. I didn't put 2 and 2 together that it was you. Looking forward to the big changes you have coming. Im on the edge of my seat Congrats!
Old 10-01-2013, 11:17 AM
trophy
Race Car

Originally Posted by acao
I enjoyed the article and am glad to find you hear because I instantly had a question:

Is the IMS thrust bearing failure common (i.e. only a matter of time) or not (outlier occurrence)?
Not common at all, a number of experts said it is so rare they don't remember seeing any failures.

I would suspect it was just a out of spec part that was put in when the engine was first built at the factory.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:43 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
Not common at all...
That's good to know. It made me a little queasy when I first read the diagnosis. You never know what's going to pop up on cars as old as ours.

Thanks for sharing the build.

Terry
Old 10-01-2013, 03:06 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Had no idea the article was someone on the forum. I bought the magazine because I wanted to see if I should subscribe. After reading the 993 engine rebuild, I told my wife "I have to subscribe. I have to see how this turns out"!
Old 10-01-2013, 03:33 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is a marketing ploy that is working on me. I need to buy the magazine and read the article. Is it available online?
Old 10-01-2013, 05:42 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, congrats Steve! Now I understand why you have been so quiet about your build on here. I look forward to adding that mag to my collection.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:45 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Was it the person on the grassy knoll or the person at the Texas School Book Depository Building?

OP. Please post the Excellence article you're referring to. I'd luv to follow this thread,,,, however without reading the article ......

Originally Posted by MDamen
I think this is a marketing ploy that is working on me. I need to buy the magazine and read the article. Is it available online?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:27 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

The article definitely caught my attention. I can't wait for the future updates. I am sure you will end up with a special motor!!!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:48 PM
trophy
Race Car

Originally Posted by CarreraX
I also enjoyed the article. I didn't put 2 and 2 together that it was you. Looking forward to the big changes you have coming. Im on the edge of my seat Congrats!
You won't be disappointed

Originally Posted by ble2011
Had no idea the article was someone on the forum. I bought the magazine because I wanted to see if I should subscribe. After reading the 993 engine rebuild, I told my wife "I have to subscribe. I have to see how this turns out"!
Maybe I should be asking for a commission for sales, May help fund future projects

Originally Posted by MDamen
Not available on line yet, however like most of these articles it will make it later.

Originally Posted by cavlino
Wow, congrats Steve! Now I understand why you have been so quiet about your build on here. I look forward to adding that mag to my collection.
Thanks Carm, it sure was tough not letting the cat out of the bag...

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Was it the person on the grassy knoll or the person at the Texas School Book Depository Building?

OP. Please post the Excellence article you're referring to. I'd luv to follow this thread,,,, however without reading the article ......
Grass knoll, however with the US government shut down, the truth may be hidden forever!

Originally Posted by csmab
The article definitely caught my attention. I can't wait for the future updates. I am sure you will end up with a special motor!!!
Special indeed!

Originally Posted by TMc993
That's good to know. It made me a little queasy when I first read the diagnosis. You never know what's going to pop up on cars as old as ours.

Thanks for sharing the build.

Terry
Trust me my stomach was tied up in knots for weeks.....
Old 10-01-2013, 11:19 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

Subscribed.

I too read the article hanging on every word; as a rebuild is in the future of all our cars - hopefully. The amazing thing is the damage you prevented by being on top of your maintenance and catching this catastrophic failure at such an early stage. Kudos!

Looking forward to next episode. Thanks for documenting!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:48 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 612 Likes on 300 Posts

Steve as a long time Excellence subscriber it is great when an article in the mag is of such great interest, hope the series has a happy ending
Rich
Old 10-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking forward to reading this, Steve.

Quick Reply: 993 Project in Excellence Magazine