WTB That Elusive C2S Polar Silver

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 07:04 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
No worries. If I recall, Polar has more white/brightness, Arctic seems to have a blue-ish tinge to it. Personally, I prefer Polar so I can understand why the OP is hunting for his unicorn.
Polar is lighter with a slight blue tint, Arctic is darker with more of gray tint.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:27 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

No worries. If I recall, Polar has more white/brightness, Arctic seems to have a blue-ish tinge to it. Personally, I prefer Polar so I can understand why the OP is hunting for his unicorn.
Originally Posted by pirahna
Polar is lighter with a slight blue tint, Arctic is darker with more of gray tint.
Corrrect on the Polar Silver; it has a blue cast. Which is why the Polar Silver with blue interior shows up alot.
Artic Silver has a yellow cast to it. Which is why the Artic Silver with black interior is common; also the red interiors go well with Artic as well.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:59 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 122 Posts

Its definitive the only way you can have a Polar Silver 993 C2S is if it were a 999 code Paint to Sample (PTS). A unicorn for sure!

Arctic silver is more true silver, Polar has a definite blue cast to it.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:38 PM
mtksurfj
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know of one owned by a client of Rick at Deman Motorsports. If you call Rick he might direct you to it. I tried to buy it but didn't think it was worth the $84k he was willing to part with it in exchange for.

Not sure if it's polar or arctic but mine is arctic and it was parked right next to it and looked very similar.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:39 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 512 Posts

How dead set on a C2S are you? Polar silver C4S are more common (I have one). Like you, my ideal 993 would have been a C2S in polar but I "settled" for a C4S and am thrilled with it. Frankly, I think I now like the big red brakes a bit better than the C2S split grille. And you can always add the split grille to a C4S. I have one in my basement in case I ever want to install it.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:56 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
How dead set on a C2S are you? Polar silver C4S are more common (I have one). Like you, my ideal 993 would have been a C2S in polar but I "settled" for a C4S and am thrilled with it. Frankly, I think I now like the big red brakes a bit better than the C2S split grille. And you can always add the split grille to a C4S. I have one in my basement in case I ever want to install it.
+1
you get the big reds and LSD stock. yes, the C2S is the "ultimate"...supposedly....you can convert 4S to 2S for a fraction of the cost diff.

Buy what you want of course, but what you are asking for is big $$$$. If you've got it....more power to ya! Do it!
Old 09-21-2013, 12:56 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RudyP
I definitely have some thinking to do. I had thought about going the C4S route since I saw more of those in Polar (for obvious reasons now), but really hadn't figured the C2S was not offered with the same color options. The thought crossed my mind to convert a C4S to a C2S since they're basically the same car with different options bolted on. This might have to be the route I need to take if Polar is important enough. Im pretty dead set on the C2S because I have a 993TT(black/black) so wanted to go more streamline with the NA car.

My fixation on Polar is simply the fact that I really love this color on the 993. I had the opportunity to choose between a polar and black turbo and it was a really difficult decision at the time, but Im glad I went with black. Now with the cleaner lines of the NA car, I think Polar would look better.

Hmm, maybe converting a polar C4S is the way to go. Remove the 4wd, change the decklid, replace C4S with C2S(feels kind of blasphemous). I would at least have the big reds and who wouldnt like that. The other option is to wish really hard for the unicorn and hope it's actually not as mythic as all the tales suggest, lol.

Ok so for some facts that someone might find useful some day. As referenced in the Porsche 911 Red Book:
The T program 911(production dates Aug95 - Jul96) Polar had special paint option code A8, but in the following V program(production dates Aug96 - Jul97 and into first years of 996 production) Polar was replaced with Arctic Silver (special option code X1) and the only way to get Polar would be to PTS it
Old 09-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,014 Likes on 380 Posts

Some food for thought: driving dynamics-wise, the C4S effectively drives no differently than the C2S. There is constant 5% power driving the front wheels under normal driving conditions. That is it. With normal street driving, you would be hard-pressed to notice the difference, including the weight differential. I would be reluctant to convert a C4S to a C2S for the sake of eliminating that last 5% to the front wheels. Plus, as others have mentioned, you get the turbo brakes with the C4S. I also recall reading in a Porsche book that the C4S cars tended to come more fully loaded with options. IMO, best solution to your conundrum is buy a Polar C4S, add the split grille, and enjoy the miles. Nobody would be the wiser, probably even you.

Originally Posted by mkhn
Hmm, maybe converting a polar C4S is the way to go. Remove the 4wd, change the decklid, replace C4S with C2S(feels kind of blasphemous). I would at least have the big reds and who wouldnt like that. The other option is to wish really hard for the unicorn and hope it's actually not as mythic as all the tales suggest, lol.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:20 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by mkhn
Hmm, maybe converting a polar C4S is the way to go. Remove the 4wd, change the decklid, replace C4S with C2S(feels kind of blasphemous).
Old 10-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
yes, the C2S is the "ultimate"...supposedly..
Why do you think? Because of the lower production numbers?
Old 10-21-2013, 12:33 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

I have a complete C2S grille assembly in Polar Silver if anyone's interested
Old 10-21-2013, 01:58 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I have a complete C2S grille assembly in Polar Silver if anyone's interested
Price shipped and for local pickup?
Old 10-21-2013, 02:07 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

I am asking $650 + shipping and that's for the whole top grille assembly, all you need to do is remove 4 allen bolts and disconnect the spoiler wall to install. No fitting, gluing, etc. The price is good for someone who already has a Polar Silver car. Otherwise you can buy the 3 grille pieces in the $400 neighborhood, but then you'll have to paint and do a lot of install work.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:26 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I've never seen a Polar C2S. I think it is a unicorn of 993s.
Gentlemen. At this price, of course, you could buy an equivalent mileage Polar Silver Turbo ... Easy enough to verify the PTS code 998 since the seller has the original window sticker in the ad. Seller sez 'Carrera 2 S widebody with the Factory Aerokit II aerodynamic package ($7000 option) and Polar Silver exterior color($3000 option)' The Unicorn I presume:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=339639186

Old 10-24-2013, 12:30 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

My 1995 C4 was the second car I looked at. If I'd ordered it from the factory, those were the colors I would have chosen.

Quick Reply: WTB That Elusive C2S Polar Silver