993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Ordering Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Tony.CO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT: Ordering Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

I know this is about as far OT as I can get but figured someone here could assist.

I've owned them all, Hummers to FJ to Broncos and Jeeps. So this go round I'm ordering a 2014 Unlimited (4 door) Rubicon in Anvil (steel blue). Planning on after market 3 inch lift, tires, and pulley. It's a fun winter ride, mountain trails, summer top down, handing down to oldest in 3 years.

I went with Rubicon over Sahara, and curious on opinion if that's needed for weekend warrior? Also what are must haves for options or upgrades?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2013, 10:49 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

wranglerforum.com

good choice, I have a 12 unlimited rubicon, 2.5 inch lift, 35 inch tires. 2012 and newer have the bigger v6 which is like 80 more hp over the previous version, also 2011 and newer have a nicer interior
Old 09-08-2013, 09:27 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

It depends what you are doing on those weekends and what climate you live in.
This will determine your wheel and tire package.

I recently sold my 3.5" 2007 Rubicon which had pretty much as much as one would want to do before getting too carried away. It looked great but didnt hold up to the north east winters.

If i were to do it all over again, i would keep it simple yet effective.
For a new Ruby i would add minimal lift and install a slightly larger tire on stock wheels.
Mopar, AEV and Rubicon all make these little lifts. AEV also make the best wheels if you decide to swap wheels.
A winch front bumper looks at home on a Rubicon.
The headlights are horrible. JW Speaker make a decent LED upgrade kit.

Keep it clean and give the appearance that it came stock even though it is really custom. A tastefully modified/functional Rubicon looks just as good as a full jam mostly offroad Rubicon.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2013, 10:08 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 315 Likes on 140 Posts

Quadratec catalog is a very dangerous thing!! :-)

www.quadratec.com

And I Gotta add this: I LOVE our Jeep. So much better than the SUVs and Trucks we've had in the past as our utility vehicles. The Jeep is FUN.

Our '13 "crusher"......
Attached Images   

Last edited by RJT; 09-08-2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Picture added
Old 09-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Tony.CO
Racer

Some excellent advice from the above, many thanks.

BTW, I dig the orange JoAnne, great on the jeeps as well as the Porsche.

Anyone hear of Starwood and the custom packages they do? They look great but cost an arm.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:59 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

BTW: I forgot to mention that the wheels on our car were plasti dipped black. Here we are 9 months later and they still look great.

I haven't heard of Starwood, but no doubt Robert has......
Old 09-09-2013, 12:40 AM
simsy
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Funny how many of us 993 owners also have Jeeps. I've got a 2013 Rubicon Unlimited and love it. I call it the "Swiss Army Knife" of cars because it is so good at so many things. I put 285 70 17 Goodyear Duratracs on it for snow and have ended up leaving them on year round. Just the right amount of tire if you're not going to put a lift on it. I do recommend the Rubicon even if you won't use it often. I think Rubicon's tend to be much easier to sell and you should get much of the additional cost back on sale. In my opinion the Starwood conversions are a little over-the-top. Instead I would recommend an AEV conversion. I think they are top shelf and it shows in their resale value. Good luck!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:31 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

proper pickup trucks, and proper jeeps do NOT have 4 doors... i mean unless your going to add car seats and soccer *****...
Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

For a winter/summer jeep, 285 Goodyear duratrec on stock wheels is a decent all rounder. Pushing it, but fair.

I use a 235/80/17 duratrec tire on stock wheels in the winter (i get lots of snow) and 35x12.5x17 in the summer on AEV wheels.

All my steel bumpers are finished in a rhino liner type finish to eliminate rust of winter use.

If you decide to run a big lift with control arms, make sure control arms are greeseable and keep them greesed! I had to rebuild all my Rubicon express control arms last year as winter kills them. Jeep was sloppy until they were replaced.

For winter you will need to have your jeep undercoated with an anti-rust solution as everything is slight under the jeep. Brake lines, ball joints, transmission lines etc.

I would seriously only run minimal lift on stock wheels for winter and nice AEV wheels with 33" tires for summer. Add a winch and call it a day.

I really like the 2013 Rubicon Anniversary edition and if i had to do it all over again i would only go 2" lift with stock wheels and a decent size tire.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Tony.CO
Racer

JoAnne, once upon a time a long time ago people use to buy extra sets of wheels for $2-3k just to have a black set. But now, welcome to Plasti-dip....I'm a believer, its worth the $20 bucks and the quality seems to be excellent.

Originally Posted by RJT
BTW: I forgot to mention that the wheels on our car were plasti dipped black. Here we are 9 months later and they still look great.

I haven't heard of Starwood, but no doubt Robert has......

I will look into AEV versus Starwood. Not sure I dig the Starwood over the top paint and interiors but do like the cosmetic and mechanical additions. Thanks!

Originally Posted by simsy
Funny how many of us 993 owners also have Jeeps. I've got a 2013 Rubicon Unlimited and love it. I call it the "Swiss Army Knife" of cars because it is so good at so many things. I put 285 70 17 Goodyear Duratracs on it for snow and have ended up leaving them on year round. Just the right amount of tire if you're not going to put a lift on it. I do recommend the Rubicon even if you won't use it often. I think Rubicon's tend to be much easier to sell and you should get much of the additional cost back on sale. In my opinion the Starwood conversions are a little over-the-top. Instead I would recommend an AEV conversion. I think they are top shelf and it shows in their resale value. Good luck!
Not sure about that. My H1 Hummer (while a Army MP) had 4 doors, and seem to do the trick just fine in the sands of the middle east, swamps and mountains. Of course, now I'm adding car seats and soccer *****.

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
proper pickup trucks, and proper jeeps do NOT have 4 doors... i mean unless your going to add car seats and soccer *****...
I hear what your saying. At my age at least, I do not want a over -the-top Jeep commando version tearing through my neighborhood scaring the children. I prefer to keep the mods subtle and just give it that extra lift, nicer wheels and the ability to take it off road (basically dirt roads here in CO where I can access high elevations for fly fishing or hiking trails).

I will take a look at the 2" lift, the AEV wheels and the integrated front bumper winch. Great advice on the undercoating too.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
For a winter/summer jeep, 285 Goodyear duratrec on stock wheels is a decent all rounder. Pushing it, but fair.

I use a 235/80/17 duratrec tire on stock wheels in the winter (i get lots of snow) and 35x12.5x17 in the summer on AEV wheels.

All my steel bumpers are finished in a rhino liner type finish to eliminate rust of winter use.

If you decide to run a big lift with control arms, make sure control arms are greeseable and keep them greesed! I had to rebuild all my Rubicon express control arms last year as winter kills them. Jeep was sloppy until they were replaced.

For winter you will need to have your jeep undercoated with an anti-rust solution as everything is slight under the jeep. Brake lines, ball joints, transmission lines etc.

I would seriously only run minimal lift on stock wheels for winter and nice AEV wheels with 33" tires for summer. Add a winch and call it a day.

I really like the 2013 Rubicon Anniversary edition and if i had to do it all over again i would only go 2" lift with stock wheels and a decent size tire.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:05 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Tony.....we've talked it over and we are willing to do a trade....our Jeep for your Turbo. Seriously!
Old 09-09-2013, 12:17 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my 2012 Wrangler. It's such a versatile vehicle and I don't fear bad weather and love taking the top down and doors off on sunny ones.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a Jeep/Ruby but still has lockers seven ways to Sunday. It's been my wifes DD for 5 years and never failed her to the Mall in December.
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2013, 03:39 PM
jmg3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by jmg3; 05-30-2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:40 PM
jmg3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by jmg3; 05-30-2021 at 09:05 AM.

Quick Reply: OT: Ordering Jeep Unlimited Rubicon