Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

just put a deposit on a 993 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 675 Likes on 446 Posts

OK $44K is much better, but try and get a really good handle on the rust issue. That can be a $2K to $4K fix if it is just restricted to the window areas...
Old 09-04-2013, 11:07 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

The seller, Porsche of Minn, has a conflict of interest. A straight up .. conflict of interest...
Minnie has several indy shops which will professionally look after this 993 and effectively perform a PPI.
WTF ? the selling Pcar dealership? WTF.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
NEVER let the place that is selling the car do the PPI. Always have the PPI done by an objective 3rd party with a knowledge of these cars.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:21 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
OK $44K is much better, but try and get a really good handle on the rust issue. That can be a $2K to $4K fix if it is just restricted to the window areas...
Yeah I hear ya. If I don't like what I see in the close up pics of the rust than I walk away and get my deposit back. If it is a very small spot like he said it was and it could be fixed without having to repaint the entire rear quarter that would be lovely. He said it is only on the back windscreen the front area seems fine, but we all know what they can look like under the rubber seal

I will get a PPI from a 3rd party I won't have the selling dealer do it. I was hoping they did a very good thorough inspection in the first place and I could get away with just a very quick PPI, but I agree, there is a conflict of interest of sorts. Atleast they are being helpful and plan on getting me as many service records as possible. He also used a paint meter and said it was original paint, but I also take that with a grain of salt.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:07 AM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Also (and mods this isn't a fishing for a sale), I will be selling my very original, very nice, rust free 1977 Toyota FJ40. I know a few guys here on the 993 board have them. I love the truck but need the $. I just sold my 911 SC targa and the fj40 is next. Gotta pay for the 993 somehow I guess. I'll be putting it on Fleabay in the next day or two. If anyone knows someone who is interested put them in contact with me.
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2013, 12:41 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sales Dept. always sees things thru "rose colored glasses" Buyer's concerns are always a minor issue. Be sure to work with the Service dept. for specifics. Awsome FJ Cruiser! Most have been used and abused; not many good examples around. GLWS!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:57 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Chris, let me know if you need me see it. Quincy is pretty close by and I might have some time early next week before schlepping the new Miata to Miami.

There is also an OK priced cab more or less locally: http://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/4016238565.html (no affiliation).
Old 09-05-2013, 01:01 AM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nile13
Chris, let me know if you need me see it. Quincy is pretty close by and I might have some time early next week before schlepping the new Miata to Miami.

There is also an OK priced cab more or less locally: http://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/4016238565.html (no affiliation).
Thanks Mike. Yes I saw that cab that was one of the local posibilities as well. I like the color alot. If the arena red rust bucket falls through I'll let you know about that one in Quincy. Thanks!!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:02 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I find it absolutely hilarious that a no rust (!!) FJ40 is being traded for 993 with rust. I mean, it's just funny on every level.

More seriously, I've had my windshield rust on the first 993 taken care of by Clair Porsche still under warranty n 2004. It was not too bad if I remember correctly. Windshield was replaced under $0 glass MA policy at the same time. So I'd look at it carefully but would not fret. Plenty of good local shops to deal with the small and very common rust issue. I mean, it's not like an old Toyota or something
Old 09-05-2013, 01:07 AM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nile13
I find it absolutely hilarious that a no rust (!!) FJ40 is being traded for 993 with rust. I mean, it's just funny on every level.

More seriously, I've had my windshield rust on the first 993 taken care of by Clair Porsche still under warranty n 2004. It was not too bad if I remember correctly. Windshield was replaced under $0 glass MA policy at the same time. So I'd look at it carefully but would not fret. Plenty of good local shops to deal with the small and very common rust issue. I mean, it's not like an old Toyota or something
You ain't kidding!! These trucks rust out before your eyes. People ask me why I don't drive it on the beach in the dunes and I say all I will have left at the end of the day is me holding a steering wheel. Totallly awesome, overbuilt vehicle though. If there was ever a zombie apocalypse a fj40 is what I want to drive as long as it's not near salt water

Last edited by cpdjfd107; 09-05-2013 at 01:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-05-2013, 01:19 AM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can also take a look for you on Saturday in your interested. I'll be out and about at Porschefest
Old 09-05-2013, 01:20 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've had a 1980 Corolla and a 1985 MR2 in Rochester, NY. I can tell some rust stories But I do love J40, that's for sure. And it's super rare to see one that beautiful and clean. Someone will get a great toy.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
Ok so I won't do a PPI at their dealership. I will get all the paperwork/service records and try to talk to the PO. The salesman didn't know too much about the car. When I started talking leakdown/compression check I might has well been speaking an ancient form of Latin, he had no idea what they meant.

Is anyone close by to do a quick rennfax for me before I schedule the PPI? Also, any reccomendations for a PPI area in Minneapolis? consider starting a new thread...rennfax wanted, Indy reccomendation near car
Also, from the pictures the car seems a little lower than stock SUV ride height, can someone here do a double check on the Ebay ad for me and confirm this, it would be great if it wasn't sitting on the stock Monroes. Also, what exhaust tips do those look like? agree, not stock ride height, service dept might have details, contact service advisor for specifics. The wide ovals stick out a little too far to my eye, don't know if they are oem...can't tell from the angles of the pics

Nile 13 I was going to ask you to do a drive by and check this out for me
http://providence.craigslist.org/ctd/4037619603.html
He is way overpriced but talking to the guy at the place seemed willing to lower very easily.

best of luck Chris...glad to see you back in the hunt.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:23 AM
sbarracl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a nice example. I can't say I've seen a cashmere steering wheel on a 993 before - wood or not. All the cashmere interiors I've seen have black steering wheels.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:07 AM
JimPA
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Regarding the rust at the corner of the rear glass - chill out. That isn't unusual on these cars. Mine is a 90k+ mile daily driver. It's well cared for but I have used and enjoyed it for 11 years.

I had rust fixed at the front windshield lower corners a few years ago. More recently, the lower RR corner had rust peeking out under the molding. I had that (surface, not rusted through) refinished at a cost of $636 in the summer of 2012. The original rear glass was carefully removed and reused. The shop also found and fixed a small amount of surface rust in the lower left corner. The biggest challenge is making sure the shop uses a glass expert who knows these cars.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:15 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Love that color combo!! Good luck with the PPI and the sale of the FJ.

Quick Reply: just put a deposit on a 993 C4S