Sponsored by:

RS Suspension Project With Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 11:59 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts
Default RS Suspension Project With Pics

After having the car for some time with PSS 10's/walrods/RS motor mounts running at RS height I got tired of the bump steer. Simple solution obviously would be to raise the car up (+10 or so) and minimize the bump steer. But after reading how those who have done a full RS upgrade (more or less) really thought it made a big difference in handling I thought why not...time to tackle a big slope. I wanted a OEM implementation as much as possible but the original RS shocks are very outdated and lack the flexibility and compliant feel of PSS 10’s which I already have on the car…everything else is as the factory designed except a couple of bits to make the PSS 10’s integrate with the factory parts.

So I started gathering parts. Almost everything came from Sunset...great pricing and service. Couple of items missed the photo somehow (sways/etc.)

Of course once all the old suspension parts are out are why not clean the underside…inspired by others but a sign of sure madness.

The brake calipers where off so why not refinish them?

Assembly is straightforward however when using all RS parts except PSS 10’s there are a couple of parts that that need to change. In the rear you need Rennline Top Hats. In the front you need a CUSTOM machined nut. This is actually an expensive pain in the rear…it’s one off and yet needs to be of very high quality. I will refer to this as the unobtainium part.

As always there is a few things that come up…others have had problems with the cap on top of the assembly not threading correctly and stripping the thread so we decided to continue that tradition.

New Suspension bits getting installed and looking very nice

After an alignment to RS specs and corner balance time to put this to test…how about a run with 40 other Porsches through the Rockies?

Best feedback for me was a Boxster Spyder having a very hard time keeping up coming out of corners. Car handling is sublime…most likely a little too rough for some on non smooth roads but other than that pretty insane…currently have PSS 10’s set at 4/5 settings and RS sways mid range…for street use the car is exceeding all expectations. One could do a LWF, do a regear or engine mods but this is something to consider. I think the big difference is the car is much more stable and smooth…you may be doing a hairpin at the same speed as before but the car is going where you want it to with a lot less work.

As always thanks is due to a number of people:

The Rennlist crew and in particular:
Bill Verburg
ToSi
jackal2513
Cupcar

Sunset Porsche for almost all of the parts.

Rennline for the rear top hat.

An unnamed mechanist for the unobtainium part at a unobtainium price.

3zero3 Motorsports Wheat Ridge CO – Emery, Max and Johnny. Great shop and people with a lot of aircool Porsche and track experience.

http://www.3zero3motorsports.com
Old 08-28-2013, 12:15 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Awesome! Enjoy.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Great project and great writeup!

Originally Posted by il pirata
Best feedback for me was a Boxster Spyder having a very hard time keeping up coming out of corners.
That is an accomplishment.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts

Nice job!

I'm curious as to why you replaced the sidemounts

Are the sidemounts RS pieces? Any close ups of the pillows? and adjustment slots?
Old 08-28-2013, 04:47 PM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Nice job!

I'm curious as to why you replaced the sidemounts

Are the sidemounts RS pieces? Any close ups of the pillows? and adjustment slots?
Thanks Bill.

Sidemounts were a tough choice...I just thought it would be nice to have everything the way the factory set it up (with the benefit of more modern shocks). Obviously no way for me to compare stock vs RS side mounts. Given my car no need for the adjustment slots.

Alas no detail pics of the pillows or adjustment slots. You can never take too many pictures.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:20 PM
irule
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG, so perfect...
Old 08-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

Nice work. Would love to swap cars for an hour to see the difference.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Nice work. Would love to swap cars for an hour to see the difference.
No need to swap, the RS components are what all of these cars should have come w/ as oe
Old 08-28-2013, 10:33 PM
jmg3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by jmg3; 05-30-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:17 AM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by jmg3
could you tolerate it as a daily driver or too much thudding on normal city roads?
For me yes...I think the ride is smoother than stock...part of this is a much improved shock (and springs since the PSS 10 is a coil over). I am currently running settings of 4F/5R which is about mid range. I am not getting much if any thudding... the digressive piston head design (goggle for the technical details) of the shock really smooths things out. Lots of room to back off is needed. The great thing is when you want to push it the car still stays very stable (at least from a street perspective...I will leave real tracking to others).

Quick Reply: RS Suspension Project With Pics