Old 08-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Toddster
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Drove my first DE last weekend

I drove my first DE last weekend
Holy crap do I have a lot to learn
The event was run through PCA at Lime Rock
What an awesome time, I managed to snap my alternator belt though and twist my AC belt on my second heat, Dan Jacobs was there and got me back out for the final run, that would have sucked if I missed the last two heats

I am officially addicted now, wondering how many of you guys DE your cars, I am pretty much a novice when it comes to mechanicals but I get the sense from Dans shop that these cars are kind of expensive to DE with compared to 964s or SCs

Wondering if I should get a DE car, not looking to beat up my 993
Old 08-14-2013, 03:30 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, color me impressed! todds out there DE'ing... whats the world coming to?
nice work Todd! got photos? what was it like?
Old 08-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Silver Box
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing DE's for about 5 years now but simply can not bring myself to track the 993 no matter how much I really want to see how it would do out there. While DE's are "relatively safe" there is always the potential for an accident and significant damage. My mindset is I need to be able to just walk away from the car if I stuff it into some Armco. I can't mentally do that with the 993 - nor do I want to financially. I therefore have an older Boxster I use on track. Cheap, reliable, fun, well balanced. Great car to learn vehicle dynamics and push you to be better through good driving skills rather than just having a fast car.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:42 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the bug last year. I think I am around 24 days now. Its just a matter of time before I make the jump to racing. Shhhh, my wife doesnt know yet!
Old 08-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Been tracking my 993 for years. It's great fun and isn't really expensive to run on track as far as running a Porsche. Brakes are a little more than the older generations, but with speed comes more tire and brake.

Again, there is no such thing as a cheap 911 to run on track.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:58 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Paddy
Been tracking my 993 for years. It's great fun and isn't really expensive to run on track as far as running a Porsche. Brakes are a little more than the older generations, but with speed comes more tire and brake.

Again, there is no such thing as a cheap 911 to run on track.
There is nothing about racing, any car, that's cheap.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:08 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I am doing DEs for 6 years. At the beginning with my 993 Cabrio and than added a Coupe for the higher run groups. Racing might be fun but it is too much involvement for me (time, money, storage etc.). I kept the 993 C4S street legal but significantly invested in safety: bucket seats, roll bar, 6-pt harness, HANS. In addition, I upgraded to better pads and fluid and added a secondary oil cooler (if you track your 993 regularly, do this rather sooner than later). I need to admit that the car was nicely setup when I bought it (PSS9, RS sway bars and drop links, RS ration GBox with LWF). Now it is about keeping it running which is expensive if you cannot do the basic work yourself (fluids, brakes, suspension). I did not do anything of this stuff when I started and RL helped me to get into it. It is not difficult if you have a garage and you are willing to invest in some good tools.

Looks like you are hooked to drive a 993 like it should be driven. This can only be done safely for you and others on a racetrack and the PCA DEs are a great and well-run program to ensure fun and safety.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:08 PM
rflood125
Track Day

Rock on Todd! I'm super jealious
Old 08-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I track my 993 5-6 weekends a year. Drive within your limits, make sure the car is mechanically perfect, have insurance. I swear my car runs better on the way home from the track... I've also uncovered some stuff that needed attention while doing mechanical prep for DE days.. Overall, my car is better for it.
If you come to Florida, send me a PM! (See sig below)
Old 08-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Toddster
Pro

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
WOW, color me impressed! todds out there DE'ing... whats the world coming to?
nice work Todd! got photos? what was it like?
It was a blast, at first I was very nervous about the car, but in my run group(green) every one is driving pretty slowly compared to even the very next level.

There a great group of guys in my PCA chapter, when I broke my belt a guy in the paddock I met through rennlist was there and lent me a spare belt to get home on (THANKS BILL w Silver 993)

I was thinking I would drive my 993 for a few years till I started really going fast, then at the end of the day I met this guy mark who spanked up his Cayman to the tune of 20K in the green run group. That got me nervous about my car, I have it insured and all but that really made me reconsider using the 993 for too much longer

It was a lot to take in my first day, I think I kept her in 3rd gear the until my final heat. My instructor (who was great, thanks Dave Hutchings) was trying to teach me some principles that when driving fast are critical, but hard to appreciate when you are still learning the line. I kept getting frustrated by how slow I was going around the turns, I wanted in the worst way to step on the gas but he was trying to teach me that by doing so under speed, I would be throwing of the balance of the car (something like that)

Any way, it was a lot of stimulus to take in for the first time, the traffic, my revs, the instructors instructions, following the line, your own instincts.
Draining and exciting all at the same time
Old 08-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Your Fister III's sounded pretty mean coming down the long straight !
The answer depends on how much you plan on tracking. My first season (2 days) I was on Sumi's with stock brake pads/fluids. Second season (4 days) added Pagid's & better fluid.
Third season (6 days) added Michelin S/S's and Lightweight track wheels. Safety upgrades next. I initially purchased track day insurance to put my mind at ease (cheaper for LRP than say the Glen). So far any $$ spent as been elective. You will tend to go thru consumables more rapidly...worth it !
Old 08-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Toddster
Pro

Originally Posted by S2K993
Your Fister III's sounded pretty mean coming down the long straight !
The answer depends on how much you plan on tracking. My first season (2 days) I was on Sumi's with stock brake pads/fluids. Second season (4 days) added Pagid's & better fluid.
Third season (6 days) added Michelin S/S's and Lightweight track wheels. Safety upgrades next. I initially purchased track day insurance to put my mind at ease (cheaper for LRP than say the Glen). So far any $$ spent as been elective. You will tend to go thru consumables more rapidly...worth it !
Thanks Bill,
I think I will have a similar start as you did,
I am signed up for my next DE on September 9th
Probably due 3-4 next year, I have been eying a set of Fikses for a while, If I don't get a track car, I could justify the expense. I noticed you can get a seasonal track policy, probably need several more DEs per year to make that worth while.
P.S. I ordered some new belts today, so I can replenish yours and have my own supply
Old 08-14-2013, 05:56 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Welcome to the real "slippery slope"! Your concern is well-founded. If you know that you want to continue with the DE program and you have reservations about the wear and tear or risk of damage to your car, then I suggest you do as others have indicated and get a dedicated track car. Down South, we have tracks with lots of sand and grit. Windshields and paint get blasted. Sometimes groundhogs decide to step out from the bushes and commit suicide (That cost me!). Sometimes, "poop happens" which may be beyond your control. It's important to concentrate on driving, not what might happen to your car. For me, after years of tracking everything from 2002's to M5's and a Cobra R, I bought and prepped a 2005 MINI Cooper S. It's been a faithful and reasonably inexpensive ride. Heaven forbid, should I ball it up, I'll just walk away (hopefully) and write it off.
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Now that your carrying all the belts, you'll never snap one again. The way it goes (lol)
No worries Todd, pay it forward for another 993'er. Glad you were able to finish your final session.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Toddster
Pro

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Welcome to the real "slippery slope"! Your concern is well-founded. If you know that you want to continue with the DE program and you have reservations about the wear and tear or risk of damage to your car, then I suggest you do as others have indicated and get a dedicated track car. Down South, we have tracks with lots of sand and grit. Windshields and paint get blasted. Sometimes groundhogs decide to step out from the bushes and commit suicide (That cost me!). Sometimes, "poop happens" which may be beyond your control. It's important to concentrate on driving, not what might happen to your car. For me, after years of tracking everything from 2002's to M5's and a Cobra R, I bought and prepped a 2005 MINI Cooper S. It's been a faithful and reasonably inexpensive ride. Heaven forbid, should I ball it up, I'll just walk away (hopefully) and write it off.
I like that choice of ride for DEs
I really like the PCA events though, with them if you don't have a Porsche you aint drivin.

Quick Reply: Drove my first DE last weekend