993 Forum 1995-1998

Stock vs Elephant Racing Bushings

Old 08-10-2013, 05:48 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony_KB
Hi Geolab,

The car has 86k miles on it, It just seemed a bit excessive to pay $750 for bushings.
Tony, for the rear, you could purchase all arms brand new, remember the ball joints, for the price you mentioned.
Here is the set I mothballed
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2013, 10:17 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

It just seemed a bit excessive to pay $750 for bushings.
Have you priced the components from Porsche? The Elephant Racing bushings will look like a bargain compared to new front control arms. The ER bushings are made by the company who makes them for Porsche.

One thing I could never figure out is why a company like Porsche who is out to make a profit like any company, would not go with cheaper PU bushings. Actually, why doesn't any manufacturer?

Last edited by IXLR8; 08-10-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Tony_KB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab

Tony, for the rear, you could purchase all arms brand new, remember the ball joints, for the price you mentioned.
Here is the set I mothballed
Thanks for the tip! These are OEM on the picture?
Old 08-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Have you priced the components from Porsche? The Elephant Racing bushings will look like a bargain. They are made by the company who makes them for Porsche.

One thing I could never figure out is why a company like Porsche who is out to make a profit like any company, would not go with cheaper PU bushings. Actually, why doesn't any manufacturer?
And now you've heard from "expert" with no experience in any of these aftermarket products.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:20 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was an early adopter of the Walrod bushings -- been on my car for five years and 50K miles now. No noise, no squeaks, no complaints. An outstanding product.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

My thought FWIW, would be Walrod's in front, new lower RS wishbone for a fresh start on forward bearing and ball joint as well as RS rubber, and Elephant RS rubber bearings in the rest of the rear arms.

Then put these in the Subframe http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/99..._85_Shore.html
Old 08-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Having said the above, I had questions about the Elephant bushings because I noted 2 different styles of bushing in my rear suspension, a thin and a thick rubber annulus bearing. I don't recall which went where (maybe someone can look at their car?) , but think the thin bearings were in the rear toe arm.

So, not being sure what bearings were "really" in an RS, I eventually went metal bearings and solid subframe mounts in the rear.

Below a new Elephant on the left, stock bearings center and right, note the Elephant only matches that in the center:

EDIT: I just checked a track control arm I have and it has the style of bearing like the Elephant and Center pictured. The one on the right goes in the toe arm, which makes sense since the pivoting of the track arm against the toe arm creates the passive 4 wheel steering that Porsche was trying for.

Basically, this steering effect is eliminated by using solid metal bearings as was done in the race cars.

Last edited by Cupcar; 08-10-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:26 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Below a new Elephant on the left, stock bearings center and right, note the Elephant only matches that in the center:

Same for the front control arm bushings.

A stock bushing on the top and an Elephant Racing bushing on the bottom.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Tony_KB
Advanced

My thought FWIW, would be Walrod's in front, new lower RS wishbone for a fresh start on forward bearing and ball joint as well as RS rubber, and Elephant RS rubber bearings in the rest of the rear arms.

Then put these in the Subframe http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/99..._85_Shore.html
What's the effect of putting these on the subframe?
Old 08-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

What's the effect of putting these on the subframe?
The subframe attaches the suspension to the chassis at 4 points which use these rubber bearings. The frame can move about and steer the car, so the RS used stiffer rubber and the GT2 and race cars used solid bushes.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

It is the thickness of the rubber shown in the boxes that is different.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Tony_KB
Advanced

The subframe attaches the suspension to the chassis at 4 points which use these rubber bearings. The frame can move about and steer the car, so the RS used stiffer rubber and the GT2 and race cars used solid bushes.
Thanks for all the valuable info, I think the course of action will be:

-PSS10's at ROW height
-Walrod PU bushes in the front
-Check rears and leave if they are ok, get new arms if they are not
-more neg camber as allowed by oem plates
-maybe new engine mounts
-alignment and corner balancing

With these changes, go to track and assimilate, from there add further enhancements as needed that way i will try to gage improvement bit by bit...

Name:  image-2003648949.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  521.1 KB
Old 08-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Because they are a cheap as* shadetree solution and inappropriate for the application

rubber for street
monoball for track

w/ some overlap

It never fails to amaze me how people spend lots for the car than cheap out on parts

Why would you use p/u in front and rubber in the back?? that doesn't make sense, use rubber or monoballs all around.

Solid sides make a huge difference for track and very low cars, not so much for most 993 owners

RS only used harder bushes on the trailing fronts, trailing ream A-arm and and the rear kinematic arm, all the others were the same as on other 993s
Old 08-10-2013, 11:13 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Chris Walrod's bushings have been a fairly simple and effective way for many here to refresh control arm bushings that have more than a few years and miles on them, in their own home. They are the pick up points that seem to show the wear the most. I think the cheap as * method is to think one doesn't need new bushings up front, and keep the originals in place.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:15 AM
Tony_KB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg

Because they are a cheap as* shadetree solution and inappropriate for the application

rubber for street
monoball for track

w/ some overlap

It never fails to amaze me how people spend lots for the car than cheap out on parts

Why would you use p/u in front and rubber in the back?? that doesn't make sense, use rubber or monoballs all around.

Solid sides make a huge difference for track and very low cars, not so much for most 993 owners

RS only used harder bushes on the trailing fronts, trailing ream A-arm and and the rear kinematic arm, all the others were the same as on other 993s
You are right it doesn't make any sense putting PU bushes in the front and rubber in the back, either all Walrod , (is this possible?) or all elephant.
Maybe for me, since it's a street car mostly that will see occasional track use the walrod is a better deal?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock vs Elephant Racing Bushings