Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Buy or run?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 08:44 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to buy and drive, then this isn't the ideal candidate. If you don't mind a bit of work, then it is simple. Find the bottom dollar purchase price,and add what you think it will take. Are you upside down at this point,or do you feel you can find one with everything done for less money? Buy with your "head', not your "heart"
I bought a 97 C4S, and did a full restoration. It was a labor of love,and I am not quite done, but in the end,I am not upside down. I have the best of both....I now have a garage queen that I can put as many miles on as I want.

Good luck with it,and remember that ownership means different things to everyone.

Emerald
Old 08-09-2013, 08:51 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

I've never seen any WB cars selling in the $20's that weren't a salvage. I would expect this car to be sold in the mid-$30k's assuming the rebuild was done correctly and by a reputable shop.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:37 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pirahna
I've never seen any WB cars selling in the $20's that weren't a salvage. I would expect this car to be sold in the mid-$30k's assuming the rebuild was done correctly and by a reputable shop.
Rare...but not unheard of.

Emerald
Old 08-09-2013, 10:41 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
I would expect this car to be sold in the mid-$30k's assuming the rebuild was done correctly and by a reputable shop.
Which is why I would buy it 25k if it was done correctly by a reputable shop. Assuming that, it is a bargain. If not, probably not....
Old 08-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

You say the owner appreciates 911's? That is an unloved car....
Old 08-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Foxtastic
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fair point Ed!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:12 PM
For202fly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for a point of reference, in my search I almost pulled the trigger on a c2s 147K miles, top end/clutch etc. all done for 35K, but the car was just in shambles. Worst part was it had a respray that was so poorly done even my untrained eye easily spotted it, I passed. And yes, it does feel all consuming...enjoy it!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Foxtastic
Advanced

Default Anyone know this car? (Red C4S)

Originally Posted by Foxtastic
I'm going to look at a 60k mile C4S this afternoon - will report back if it's nice and if out of my price range will pass on the details!
I'm currently thinking that I'll check whatever paperwork there is on the Black C2S, float my offer price assuming mechanics are sound (and pending a PPI) and if that's palatable with the seller have a PPI done (probably using your recommendation branman).
I share the findings and if I pass I let you know inkatouring.

Thanks for all your help again folks... I never thought buying a 993 could be so all-consuming!
First off, continued thanks for all the input. Having re-read the comments and then seeing the C4S on Friday, I'm finding myself leaning towards something in the $40-45k range that is fundamentally sorted. I haven't really discussed price flexibility on the C4S yet, but have a couple of concerns:

1. the Carfax is clean, but it's had a respray. No explanation why, but a local reputable bodyshop confirms it hasn't been in an accident.
2. it's Guards Red... which is actually growing on me, but not my first choice.
3. not a massive fan of the centre console...
4. it's had 6 previous owners, which isn't a major problem to me except it means I only have the history of the last 2 years.

On the positive side, it drives brilliantly and has had the following done in the last 18 months; replacement Viscous coupling, PSS10 suspension kit, upgraded intake and exhausts, all engine seals/gaskets replaced, adjustable toe steer links. The bills I've seen total $18k for this lot.

Does anyone know this car? - VIN WP0AA2990TS323603

Here's a few pics:
Attached Images   

Last edited by Foxtastic; 11-29-2013 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:08 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

car looks great and it is nice to see that kind of money spent on it in the past two years.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

you need to have funds in hand...and not tied up in another current vehicle. If you decide on a car...you need to act fast. Secure the additional funds via a home equity line of credit, personal loan...whatever. Imagine, finding the car of your dreams, negotiating a great price, putting money down pending a PPI...then taking weeks to secure all the funds, or needing to sell what your currently driving...not good. Way too easy for some one to swoop in for the same, or even a little more money and take the car away from you.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:33 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
you need to have funds in hand...and not tied up in another current vehicle. If you decide on a car...you need to act fast. Secure the additional funds via a home equity line of credit, personal loan...whatever. Imagine, finding the car of your dreams, negotiating a great price, putting money down pending a PPI...then taking weeks to secure all the funds, or needing to sell what your currently driving...not good. Way too easy for some one to swoop in for the same, or even a little more money and take the car away from you.
If it takes weeks to secure funds, to buy car, prolly means it's outside of the budget to begin with.

Let me just throw out there that 40k car can still require 5-10k repair even with flawless PPI.

It's not new car where you have nice new car warranty and no worries for 4-5 years.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Foxtastic
Advanced

Valid points gents. I actually learnt the hard way when I fell for this beauty (http://hitecauto.us/car-listing/1996-porsche-911-c4s/) but I couldn't pull off the auto-loan (firstly because they only valued the car at $25k! and then because my credit is still building in the US...). My revised plan is to buy with what I have before selling my Bimmer, then sell to help pay the mortgage, feed the kids and dogs and maybe a few 993 tweaks

I've decided to pass on the Black C2S though. I didn't pull the trigger on the PPI, so don't have the mechanical details to share, but happy to share the guys details with anyone interested though inkatouring has the first right-of-refusal! PM being sent.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:56 PM
C4S993
Pro

A few years from now you will regret passing on a 30$k split grill C2S.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
If it takes weeks to secure funds, to buy car, prolly means it's outside of the budget to begin with.
not everyone has cash at hand...some of us mere mortals still have to take out a loan, or sell an existing assest to pile said cash together.

I trust you understood my point of having the money available when your actively shopping...and not hustling to assemble the cash after you've found the right car.

A home equity line of credit has bought every vehicle of mine for the last 20 years, provided funds for home improvement and expansion, bought some big money bicycles, and hell...I even grabbed money out of it years ago to host an epic summer bash. It's cheap money, and a great tool for the working middle class individual.

"If you don't pay cash for your toys you can't afford them -rant off"
Old 11-28-2013, 03:27 PM
ORBDad
4th Gear

Any reason you didn't buy the red '97 C4S? (It's still for sale and I'm interested in it)

Quick Reply: Buy or run?!