993 Forum 1995-1998

Alpine Power Pack (ktp-445)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 10:12 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Alpine Power Pack (ktp-445)?

Has anyone installed one of these? Any feedback?
I currently have an Alpine head unit and some nice Polk Audio MM speakers.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:43 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

No, but I'd love to know anyone's feedback as well. I'm thinking of upgrading my older Alpine to some sort of lightweight but still decent (well, ok, passable) set-up and this looks like just the ticket.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Never heard of these. I have a large amp in the trunk and an iPod adapter under the passenger seat and would like to do away with both. More info.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:10 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Not specifically, but I have had Alpine components in the past. Never had any problems with either alarm systems or head units, good stuff.

Alpine is located in Torrance, right next to Redondo, so if you ever need to service anything, they are close.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a fair amount of research on these a while back and recall mostly favorable reviews. It should be a very good option for our cars. I wouldn't hesitate to install one.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:38 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

These scheme's build on the head units internal amplification - adding to it, for a total of 45 RMS p/ch at a 4 ohm load; Bandwidth not spec'd is dubious. The external amp circuit's do tax the head units internal "amp section power supply", read voltage, as a function of the piggy back scheme. Stable "rail voltage" is key to an audio amplifier meeting its output specification over a full bandwidth.

Don't expect the same Hi Fi-del-ity First Class travel... as a head unit without.. In the end the sound pressure will be ever-so-slightly greater, but not without added noise...

But remember,,, the space is a car interior...
Old 08-12-2013, 03:17 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I could not find any decent reviews online. I might buy one just to try it out, we'll see...
Old 08-12-2013, 03:26 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
These scheme's build on the head units internal amplification - adding to it, for a total of 45 RMS p/ch at a 4 ohm load; Bandwidth not spec'd is dubious. The external amp circuit's do tax the head units internal "amp section power supply", read voltage, as a function of the piggy back scheme. Stable "rail voltage" is key to an audio amplifier meeting its output specification over a full bandwidth.

Don't expect the same Hi Fi-del-ity First Class travel... as a head unit without.. In the end the sound pressure will be ever-so-slightly greater, but not without added noise...

But remember,,, the space is a car interior...
I completely agree with this assessment.
While the hook-ups may make this seem like an "easier" solution, your head unit most likely has RCA jack outputs that bypass the internal amp. A decent 2-4 channel amp that fits under the passenger seat with more than 45/ channel amplification can most likely be found for <$125.
This will give you MUCH cleaner/ better sound and not add much more weight.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:43 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here's another version of the amplifier circuit "piggy back scheme" in this case accompanied by a DSP circuit for parametric EQ. Although in German - do your best with the pictures by opening the pdf. There are 3 pdf at the bottom of the page.

http://www.upgrade-audio.de
Old 08-12-2013, 10:13 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

CaptainGSR -

All disclaimers apply ..

There are several 12V outboard/external DSP modules currently available for automotive HiFi systems. Check out the Mosconi 6to8 DSP modules' video presentation at the web link below. Additionally there is a amplifier model, One 120.4DSP, which is a amp/DSP combo in a single chassis. The model One 120.4DSP fits under the 993 coupes passenger seat however does stick out at the bottom/back of the seat just a touch; 3 inches. Modern amplification with herculean DSP (digital signal processing) transforms the Porsche/Becker head units and the old speakers. http://www.mosconi-system.it/product...-one-120-4-dsp
Remember, with big time DSP you can,,,, "Shine a sneaker". I'm just saying.

P.S., There's a fellow 993 Rennlist'r who has the smaller DSP 4to6 unit installed.
http://www.mosconi-system.it/product/gladen-dsp-4to6

http://mosconi-america.com

P.S.S., The 4ch amp such as the One 120.4DSP could easily run the front speaker arrangement fully active - all the while using a stock Porsche/Becker unit; CDR-210 or CDR220 from the 986/996 cars.

Quick Reply: Alpine Power Pack (ktp-445)?