Sponsored by:

TARGA Bike Rack Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 12:08 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 264 Posts
Default TARGA Bike Rack Recommendation

I just picked up a 993 targa. I need a bike rack for a road bike.

I have done some searches, but they are inconclusive. I am familiar with the Willwood system (via the bumperettes). I used to have a Bird rack on the Boxster. That system mounted underneath the car into the frame.

My real question is whether, or not, an off the shelf roof mounted system like Thule would work on the Targa? Obviously, I want to use caution and not mess up my top which is currently working very smoothly.

I already called Sunset. The Porsche part is not available. I have also reached out to Willwood for a quote.

My primary concern is not damaging the car...or the bike... I really don't care how wonky it looks. Roof top preferred if viable. I have no fabrication skills so building my own isn't an option.

What do 993 TARGA owners do for a bike rack? Is an off the shelf Thule the best way to go? Am I better off with Willwood? Other suggestions? If your selling one, or know someone who is - please PM me.

Thanks!!

Mike
Old 08-06-2013, 01:05 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Thule racks use the coupe's rain gutters to clamp onto. They won't work on a Targa since it doesn't have rain gutters.

Have you looked into Seasucker suction-cup racks?
http://www.seasucker.com/product-category/bike-racks/

Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I would check out Thule, Yakima and Rola, to see of any of them has an application for the Targa.

I believe you will need a clamp type that attaches to the top of the door sill since you do not have rain gutters.

I had a Rola years ago, great rack, very well made.

No current experience with Thule or Yakima, but REI carries them and lots of people use them, so they must be pretty decent.

I would be a little scared, maybe a lot scared to put a $5k bike on top and trust suction cups.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:28 PM
AW21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Willwood rear mounted rack would probably be your best option.

http://www.willwoodsystem.com/
Old 08-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I have never has mounted a rack on my Targa, but I would not trust suction cups at all - maybe that is just me....

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Using suction cups to mount an expensive bike seems like a recipe for potential disaster. Still, $100,000 plus cinema cameras are mounted to vehicles all of the time for film and commercial shoots, so maybe suction cups are safe for bicycles. Just make sure your car has good insurance to protect your steed. I'd be fairly unhappy if my carbon fiber wonder bike flew off of my vehicle, even if it were covered by insurance.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 264 Posts

Yeah, suction cups just aren't an option on the glass targa roof - I fear the targa mechanism will break just looking at it.

I was hoping someone with a Targa had a roof mounted system they could vouch for.

/
Old 08-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts

Once upon a time, somebody made a hitch(receiver-mounted under rear bumperettes also) for our 993's. More than one rennlister has had them for towing track wheels/tires with. Anyway, if you can source one, it opens up the ability to buy any hitch mount bike carrier.

just another option, and maybe cheaper than Willwood...but only one attachment point for the rack system, not two like Willwood IIRC.

Best of luck

Quick Reply: TARGA Bike Rack Recommendation