Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Request for windshield template tracings (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/769304-request-for-windshield-template-tracings.html)

AllMine 08-01-2013 08:23 PM

Request for windshield template tracings

Hello, i am hoping that someone who owns the windshield installation templates would be willing to make a tracing of them and mail that to me. Of course this should be a no loss situation for whoever is willing to help. I can do paypal, check, money order to cover their time and postage, whatever works best.
Thank You
Curt

mike cap 08-02-2013 09:27 AM

Front or rear or both?

matt777 08-02-2013 10:50 AM

I'd be interested in the front templates too although I'm not worried about having the windshield installed without them. The manual has a p/n listed as 000.721.955.50 (front). Can the dealers can still get them?

geolab 08-02-2013 12:23 PM

Hello Curt, I can send the tracing through email, pm me your email if that helps.
i will scan with a ruler next to templates.

Toto111 08-03-2013 07:45 AM

Not sure what eventuated from this thread. There may be some templates floating around.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...templates.html

Jeff96-993 08-03-2013 11:40 AM

I have a set for the rear window. If needed, just shoot me a PM.

If I recall correctly Mike Cap has the full set.

AllMine 08-03-2013 02:31 PM

Wow this is impressive. A whole lot of offers to help. I sure dont get this kind of response from another community about my Mopar. Thanks for the offers. I did end up with a file containing what i need. I will have to find someone with a laser, or maybe water jet, depending on material used.
Thanks again
Curt

bcameron59 08-13-2014 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by matt777 (Post 10656177)
I'd be interested in the front templates too although I'm not worried about having the windshield installed without them. The manual has a p/n listed as 000.721.955.50 (front). Can the dealers can still get them?

Matt, did you have any luck with front templates? I'm planning a windshield replacement in the fall (after some rust remediation) and hoping to borrow / rent templates locally if possible.

NP993 08-13-2014 05:21 PM

FWIW, when I had my glass replaced (by a guy experienced with 993's), he didn't use templates. I asked him why not. The windshield simply needs to be centered in the frame, top, bottom, and sides. You don't need a template to do this. You just eyeball it. I watched him do the install, and it turned out absolutely perfect.

bcameron59 08-13-2014 05:50 PM

thx Noah. Can't remember where I read it but someone explained that the templates were mainly to ensure the windshield was set to the right depth for fitment for the gaskets & trim - not just the spacing around the edges to the frame.

An experienced installer could probably just eyeball it but I'm considering doing the install myself, and as a complete noob, if there is any way to screw it up, I'd be sure to find it.

hoggel 08-13-2014 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by NP993 (Post 11574079)
FWIW, when I had my glass replaced (by a guy experienced with 993's), he didn't use templates. I asked him why not. The windshield simply needs to be centered in the frame, top, bottom, and sides. You don't need a template to do this. You just eyeball it. I watched him do the install, and it turned out absolutely perfect.

I'd suggest that the templates be used. I have had the windshield replaced in my 993 four times. All four times by the same two guys. These guys seem to do all of the glass work on all of Porsches in this area. Three times were perfect. The last time the rubber seal on the drivers side lower corner does not sit correctly on the body. The glass must be too high and to the passenger side. Probably less than an 1/8 of an inch off. I have not had it corrected because my car almost never sees water, or humidity above 15%, and it is inevitable that the windshield will be replaced again ... using the templates.

NP993 08-13-2014 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by bcameron59 (Post 11574140)
An experienced installer could probably just eyeball it but I'm considering doing the install myself, and as a complete noob, if there is any way to screw it up, I'd be sure to find it.

Ah, in that case, yeah, use the templates. The guy who did mine could have done it blindfolded.