Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

I know we've got plenty of Singer fanbois here......

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:50 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't understand the hating on the Singer

To me it is pure distilled 911 !

There is one of these in my future for sure !
Old 08-19-2014, 10:55 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
Can anyone confirm what James says at 7:10 about the rev counter going up to 11 as a tribute to Spinal Tap?
It's a cult classic:

Old 08-19-2014, 11:10 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13

It's a cult classic:

Spinal Tap - "These go to eleven...."
Mike-- Truth!

Is it true Singer's tach was inspired by that, or was TopGear's comment just a journalist's joke?

Old posts from the "Speedster type 993 photo thread" thread:
An amp that goes up to 11 must be better, right?

Old 08-19-2014, 11:39 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I doubt that Singer didn't come up with it based on Spinal Tap as the redline is way below 11K, right? Would be a good question for them and good trivia
Old 11-12-2014, 11:42 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

A burning question that deserves an answer ^^
Maybe some of Singer's RLer consultants here can comment?

Another time-critical question:
Whose face is literally cut out & pasted over a photograph, in the passenger seat of this new video @~21:22?
...MagWalker?

Old 11-13-2014, 01:01 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight
Jager - Thanks for the link, your resources for info and pics continues to impress!
+993...Thanks pal!

P.S. The youtube video above looks like it was shot on Angeles Crest Hwy (Hwy 2); which was a favorite weekend morning playground with what I fondly remembered as my "Singered", function first Ducati 996.

Last edited by nine9six; 11-13-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:27 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nine9six

Angeles Crest Hwy was a favorite weekend morning playground with my "Singered", function first Ducati 996.
Paul-- With that machine, you have every reason to "play in the street"
Originally Posted by Knight

Jager - Thanks for the link, your resources for info and pics continues to impress!
Originally Posted by nine9six

+993...Thanks pal!
Glad you're enjoying the ride! Hear the howl here:
http://bcove.me/y7bzyhksOriginal link: Car and Driver's "Singer Vehicle Design's Reimagined Porsche 911."
Old 12-04-2014, 12:20 PM
knorrena
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I love that mini tail on the rear spoiler. I wonder if they, or anyone else has one sale?
Old 06-04-2015, 06:50 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, well, well.......what shows up on the cover of the latest Road & Track. Seems they took a 4.0 widebody version to Laguna, mounted some Hoosier R7s, strapped Leh Keen in...........and managed to go only about 5 sec/lap quicker than Chris Cervelli did a dozen years ago in a STOCK class 993. (Or, 7 sec/lap quicker than me in a POS RS America that still had it's catalytic converter mounted. Or, about 1.5 sec/lap quicker than my 72 y.o. friend in his C6 Z06 on RA1s.)

I get why you'd want to feature the car. I don't get why you'd try to claim these are The Answer for track duty.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:11 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Ken - definitely not the thrust of the article being 'the answer' for track duty. Hardly a track car by any means. Just proving the car is not all looks and will perform if needed.

This car isnt a 'wide body' - it is standard Singer track width.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:05 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Well, well, well.......what shows up on the cover of the latest Road & Track. Seems they took a 4.0 widebody version to Laguna, mounted some Hoosier R7s, strapped Leh Keen in...........and managed to go only about 5 sec/lap quicker than Chris Cervelli did a dozen years ago in a STOCK class 993. (Or, 7 sec/lap quicker than me in a POS RS America that still had it's catalytic converter mounted. Or, about 1.5 sec/lap quicker than my 72 y.o. friend in his C6 Z06 on RA1s.)

I get why you'd want to feature the car. I don't get why you'd try to claim these are The Answer for track duty.
Who thinks that a Singer is the answer for track duty.
And to be fair, let's give the article's other comparos...

0-60:
- 2.1s faster than 964 (as tested by R&T in '90, 964 is 362 lbs heavier)
- same time as new Z06 (vette is 793 lbs heavier)

Laguna lap (Singer was 1:35.5):
- 7.5s slower than fastest lap at most recent GT3 cup race
- 0.75s quicker than 458 Italia

I think the point of the article, as Chris points out, is that the car isn't all just looks. This isn't a question of Kool-Aid drinkage. The Singer team builds kick *** cars that seem to check all the boxes (albeit leaving the "attainable to mere mortals" unchecked). All that being said, for whatever reason they don't ring some peoples' bells. Different strokes I guess.

Congrats on the great article Chris. I think the author sums it up well here:
"If I'm being honest, I could probably dig deep in my heart and find a flaw, somewhere, in the crevices of Singer's work. But I don't want to. What I do want is that road and that exact car for the rest of my life."
Old 06-05-2015, 10:13 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

what is a fanbois ? Is that French?
Old 06-06-2015, 08:04 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Ken I'm sorry, but I think you completely missed the point of the article. You're comparing apples to bananas my friend...

As far as the car itself, after I saw one in person recently, I was underwhelmed.

First, because although it looked like a 911, at the same time it didn't. For my particular taste it's been taken too far. And yes, that's a personal opinion. I thought I'd like the whole package better in the flesh, but didn't. So for those who haven't seen one in real life, I'd reserve judgement until you do. You might like it less or you might like it more.

Second, there were areas that I thought were not finished to a standard you'd expect out of a car carrying such a hefty price tag. I only examined certain parts of the car since the hood was open. Shock support towers in the front looked rough, the weatherstripping on the hood looked cheap, and there was a pretty big gap between the front bumper and the body itself. You could actually see the ground underneath. Perhaps that was intentional but it certainly didn't look right to me.

Regardless, the car had a ton of people gathered around it oohing and aahing. So it certainly has its appeal.

Originally Posted by Paolo1
what is a fanbois ? Is that French?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fanboi
Old 06-07-2015, 12:55 AM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought the 1:35 was pretty impressive for rolling 911 art. It's not a race car. But it drove like one and handled a beating like one. All while looking pretty. I loved the car.

Maybe I shouldn't be in this thread. It's clearly negative toward Singers.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:52 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by kingleh
Maybe I shouldn't be in this thread. It's clearly negative toward Singers.
I think its great that you posted here...!

I doubt that there is a thread out there about Singer on any forum that doesn't include some negativity.... It's just not to everyone's taste. With deposits in place for another 40+ cars, I guess people better just get used to them.

A 1:35 lap around Laguna Seca is more than impressive & considering the recent partnerships Singer has made, they're only going to go faster.

Ilko - I'd be curious to know the color combination of the car you are referring to. I know that you live in NYC & you may have seen one of the very (very) early cars that was done prior to Aria's involvement.

Quick Reply: I know we've got plenty of Singer fanbois here......