993 Forum 1995-1998

Feeler: Interest in Semi-Solid C4 Transmission Mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
JMHO, but I would not reduce its mass at all, especially using harder rubber mounts.

You want all the stiffness & rigidity that you can get with this design as this prevents cracks with this highly stressed part.
My thoughts, too. Overbuild that thing (within reason) to prevent any failures. Any weight savings would be minimal and could be saved by not having a large burrito and soft drink for lunch.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:15 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Ok. I agree with "over building" and sign up for one. Let get this project going!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:07 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

it really can be as simple as quadcammer's 5 bullet points.
he might be referring to the transmission carrier(6 bolts) in point 4. I never had to remove the transmission carrier, but the front cross member might be in the way.
it has 2 bolts on each side connecting to the sub frame. in the first picture that peter posted you can see how close the front cross member is to the mount.
I've removed the oem mount without removing the cross member, but when I was fitting peter's mount I always removed the cross member for more space.
the only issue is having to bend a small tab for space to slide the cross member forward and out.

there is enough space without removing the cross member to get a torque wrench in there when installing the mount.
the decision to remove it will probably depend on your ability to work in a cramped space.

other than that remove the mount, use the removed nuts to double nut the transmission studs and remove. replace the mount using 30mm socket caps.
the mount I have is about 11mm thick, the studs show about 16mm threads and I used a 2mm washer.
with a lift the job is 30 minutes soup to nuts. on jack stands probably an hour since you have to lie on your back. a scissor lift might be tight if you still have the last bar in place.

some pics for quadcammer's instructions.
remove 2 panels
remove mount and studs
install mount

there is more nvh, but with peter's tranny mount, wevo blacks and fister 3s I could still hear and feel when my aircon belt shredded this afternoon.
so its not too bad, plus its easy to change back if you want.
the upside is the whole power plant is now firmly connected to the body and suspension. great feel on the track.
Attached Images    
Old 07-13-2013, 01:41 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

James,
Thanks for chiming in! I do want to thank James a lot for all of his help with this project. He approached me with this idea and helped me develop the prototype. Since I don't own a C4 this is something I never would have come up with on my own.

I am going to roll with the "overbuilt" mount and get this going since it sounds like a few people are interested.
Since a few people were concerned with strength I wanted to point out that the mount will be 1/2" thick at its thinnest point. I have made solid motor mounts for V8 muscle cars from 3/8" plate and never had a failure.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:15 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Very interested. I think it would go perfectly with my RS mounts.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:18 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

BUMP. Were are we with this project? I am ready to through it in!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:26 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just wanted to update everyone on this project.
I made CAD models and drawings for the mounts. However, my wife is worried about legal ramifications if something were to go wrong since I don't have a business license and either way she doesn't like me spending too much time in the garage....

Long story short is I can't manufacture these. What I can do is e-mail anyone interested in pursuing this project further the CAD models and drawings. I wasn't planning on getting rich off this and since the development work is pretty much done it makes sense that someone else could pick up the ball where I dropped it.

Please a-mail me at chaoscreature@hotmail.com if interested.

Quick Reply: Feeler: Interest in Semi-Solid C4 Transmission Mount