Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Wilmington, NC Searching for my 993 (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/765789-wilmington-nc-searching-for-my-993-a.html)

NC993 07-11-2013 12:49 PM

Wilmington, NC Searching for my 993

I have been looking at a 993 for a while, and know everyday brings me closer to finding the one. Hoping to get some useful input on how to approach the whole process. Also, hoping to find some 993 owner's in this part of the state who would be willing to offer advice (and perhaps a ride).

gr1275 07-11-2013 12:53 PM

NC, check the Hurricane Region site for contacts in your area. There are several people with 933's.
http://hur.pca.org/

Good luck,
Gary

gmorat 07-11-2013 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by NC993 (Post 10602705)
I have been looking at a 993 for a while, and know everyday brings me closer to finding the one. Hoping to get some useful input on how to approach the whole process. Also, hoping to find some 993 owner's in this part of the state who would be willing to offer advice (and perhaps a ride).

I'm in Raleigh but if I am ever down that way I will IM you and you are welcome to drive my car and the same goes if you are ever up here.

I bought a car from CA about 3 months ago. I had been looking for a year and had considered a car which was local as well as some which were in FL, GA, IN and one in WA.

Anything I can help you with just ask.

G

RoadWarrior19 07-11-2013 07:45 PM

Rennlister 993inNC (Chris) and his father both own 993's and live in the Wilmington area. I saw a picture of a 993 at the recent monthly Wilmington cars & coffee meet. You could send Chris a PM since I believe he doesn't check the board regularly.

993inNC 07-11-2013 07:55 PM

I'm here, I'm here, what'd I miss? We are two of the rare few 993's in the area. PM for a number and we can chat over the w/e.

Michael, you are correct, not here much anymore.........wish it were different but.......
With a 914 project, Speedster replica, 993 and bought a Boxster for future track rat (once I take delivery and replace the motor amongst other things) my website attentions are spread thin :D Not to mention family and work.....

NC TRACKRAT 07-11-2013 09:12 PM

We rarely get over your way but, if you're in my "neck of the woods", send me a PM or e-mail. Would be most happy to have you stop by and talk "993" or offer whatever assistance I can if you find a potential purchase.

NC993 07-12-2013 01:42 PM

I appreciate the responses so far. I want to get another question in to those of you living in and around NC.

So please avoid the popcorn emoticons... Not a C2 vs. C4 debate, but rather for those of you living in or around NC, which do you have, and have you ever felt you would prefer the opposite? I do live in Wilmington, but travel across the state to the mountains and the triangle quite often throughout the year. Just trying to figure out if I want a C2 or should widen my search to include AWD.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

skl2 07-12-2013 01:45 PM

I bought my CS in Wilmington back in 07 and drove it home to Iowa....love it out there. GLWS (good luck with SEARCH) :)

gmorat 07-12-2013 02:36 PM

I was primarily looking for and bought a C2 because I have a DD and the car was just for me at the weekend and special occasions. Wouldn't have been against a C4 if I found a decent one. I did look at one in FL that was sketchy.

G

Originally Posted by NC993 (Post 10605662)
I appreciate the responses so far. I want to get another question in to those of you living in and around NC.

So please avoid the popcorn emoticons... Not a C2 vs. C4 debate, but rather for those of you living in or around NC, which do you have, and have you ever felt you would prefer the opposite? I do live in Wilmington, but travel across the state to the mountains and the triangle quite often throughout the year. Just trying to figure out if I want a C2 or should widen my search to include AWD.

Thanks in advance.

NC TRACKRAT 07-12-2013 03:57 PM

Thanks in advance.

IMHO, unless you plan to or have to drive it in the snow, I'd stay with the C2. The C4 is heavier and has more parts to service.

gmorat 07-12-2013 04:06 PM

Did you see this one for sale on the forums?......C4S though.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...slope-car.html

gr1275 07-12-2013 04:19 PM

As state above, the 4 is a tad heavier and has more moving parts. If that is something that concerns you, go for the 2. My thinking on this... if you don't have strong feelings for C2 or 4, first, try to drive a sample of both. If still uncertain, simply find the car that pushes all your buttons and buy it... regardless of 2 or 4.
Have fun,
Gary

cgfen 07-12-2013 07:33 PM

Thanks in advance.

you're overthinking this IMO
unless it rains HARD and snows more that I believe and you will commute in the hard rain or snow, you will be fine with either choice.
Buy whichever you like the best aesthtically.
IF YOU KNOW you will AX / TRACK a lot, then consider limiting yourself to the RWD option only since conventional wisdom says RWD is better for those applications.

I was 100% sold on RWD option only primarilly due to $$$$$$$$, then a 4S fell-into-my-lap.

Trust me, i know of what I speak when I say over-thinking.

signed, the proctologist.

have fun.

Raleigh993 07-13-2013 09:47 AM

I think the best advice has already been given. Try to drive a few different variations and see what "feels right". As you have already found, it is not as easy as test driving new cars due to age and availability. On top of that, many 993 owners have upgraded their suspensions and it is hard to compare apples to apple. Do not limit your search to local geography. Many fine examples can be found on this board as well as other resources such as PCA. I found mine in CA also and it just felt right. Get a PPI. I did not because I bought from a retired auto shop teacher well known in southern CA Porsche circles. I was lucky. In 2 1/2 years of ownership, it has been nothing but routine maintenance. In hindsight, I would probably spend the $ for a PPI from a recommended shop. You are welcome to drive mine (C2 & tip) if you are ever in Raleigh.

I never considered a C4 due to slightly more complex mechanicals, weight & I don't drive the 993 unless the sun is shining. :o

NC993 09-22-2013 10:41 AM

Wilmington Service shop

Any recommendations for a shop in Wilmington NC?

Chris (993inNC) where do you take yours?

Anybody else in Wilmington area?

Thanks!