993 Forum 1995-1998

Reassemble 993 convertible top drive mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:42 PM
kms0521
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Reassemble 993 convertible top drive mechanism

I have a 1997 993 and the convertible top mechanism got jammed and I had to disassemble the drive gears. I've seen the alignment procedure on p-car DIY but I have taken the drive gear apart and reassembly is more complex now. I've done this once before and got lucky, figuring it out on first try, but now I can't seem to get how to align the gears with the drive mechanism and how to position the top. Patience (and bad back) has run out. Anyone have a procedure of how to reassemble or can they point me to somewhere? Much obliged.

KMS
Old 07-08-2013, 04:50 PM
si2t3m
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing the exact same thing!!!

Reconnected the mecanism to the top the revert back to electric. What a bad idea!!! (I'm getting out of the car to fold the window anyway)

For me, i had only loosened the 19mm bolt. When opening the top, the front latches unhook the top. Then the rear top motor engage but do nothing till i release the button... Well they are doing something. They are activating the 1/4 gear in the mecanism! Activating it so that after a while the 1/4 gears isn't engaged with the cable drive mecanism. When one decides to go manual, it would be a good idea to disengage de cable on both rear motors. Seems like I missed that part!

So that where you get to pop opened the mecanism!!!

Basically, it's figuring out the 1/4 gear position needed in relation with the top position so that you get enough gear for the complet mouvement. It's messy as it's full of grease, but you already know this! Don't forget, the 'elbow' for the top when engaged in the 1/4 gear is always pointing to the rear.

For my part, it was easier for me to do it with the top sligtly opened. This way I can go and connect/disconnect the cables in the rear without moving the top (with the top down, you don't have any acces).

BTW take a close look at the keyed mating surface where the top connects to the 1/4 gear. Mine was eaten up a bit giving some slack movement in the top especially when closing it (the top drops slightly). This is where i took everything out a second time!

I removed the 1/4 gear from the mecanism (held in place with a slotted copper bushing).

Plan for me is to get material welded and keyed back so that there is no more play.

I'll be taking picture and will try to make a DIY with instructions as I go on.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:42 PM
gaby1088
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same a few months ago before going back to medical school, wasnt able to close the whole case completely so i would have to press the button several times to open the top. I was fed up with trying to get it closed (especially with the beer recommendations as per the instructions) so I just jumped into the pool. When im back from vacation I plan on doing it correctly (minus the beer.)
Old 08-11-2013, 08:52 PM
kms0521
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Still working it folks. Stripped the threads where one of the drive gears attaches to the frame of the car and also lost the cable clip that hold the cable into the motor. Got the clip but haven't tapped the threads yet. Key point about making sure the elbow always points to the rear as it is easy to install it slightly forward and I may even have done that on one of the attempts to get it working. Manually opening and closing ain't so bad.....

KMS

Quick Reply: Reassemble 993 convertible top drive mechanism