993 Forum 1995-1998

Dying to get my car back - Rust repair in progress

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 11:03 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dying to get my car back - Rust repair in progress

I decided to take care of the emerging rust spots from underneath my windscreen sooner than later. I replaced the windscreen in the process, as the original was all chipped up. I ended up driving to the burbs today to a PCA event and was even more desperate to get a hold of her after seeing everyone driving their Porsches. Although the car has only been gone for 3 weeks, i'ts seemed like an eternity lately. At the last minute I decided to take out the rear glass as well and decided to respray the front end at the same time, which extended things a bit. Some pics below, i'll post the after pics once I get my car back and confirm shop recommendations.
Attached Images          
Old 06-09-2013, 12:18 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

Looks like a good call to get this job done. Did you get the rear glass out without breaking the plastic surround, or are you replacing the rear glass?
Old 06-11-2013, 12:56 AM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Interesting you asked this Spokes. I just got a call today that there was an issue with the plastic piece and that another piece was being ordered. I was told the rear glass could be re-used but i'm pretty sure the plastic channel surrounding the glass isn't sold separately. I'll have to report back when I learn more but i'm pretty sure they broke the plastic piece, sounds like you have experience on this. On another note, I received some pics.
Attached Images      
Old 06-11-2013, 01:12 AM
steve100
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Uicnick,

I'm looking to do almost the same paint work on my 964. I likely have some more rust spots around the headlights but am similar on the front end, windshield replacement and rear window work.

I have a couple quotes and am wondering for comparison sake if you would PM me what type of number you are looking at.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 06-11-2013, 02:54 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Default Rear Glass

Yes, tackled a small bit of surface rust as it turned out, but the plastic channel was damaged pulling out the rear glass. New glass my friend and expensive!

I will be interested if you get a plastic channel only - certainly not available within my research. The inner and outer rubber only. An option is to use a rubber moulding off a reel and fix it to the old rear glass.

This forum also has numerous threads on sealing the gap after the rear glass is fitted to prevent water pooling. Pros and cons for this too. I favour a clean repair of the rust, a good primer & paint and re-glass as standard. If there is no damage to the paint work then rust is a long way from re-appearing again in your ownership!

Following with interest.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:30 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

OK finally got my car back. Spokes you are correct, plastic channel could not be purchased seperately. This became an issue with the rear glass because the seal would not fit correctly in the channel after removal. There are many posts on this I found, some guys resort to a bit of sealant or the rubber rope, I think that is what you are describing there.

I have to say the first visit I didn't like the fit of the windscreen. It was positioned too low and the seal was "reaching" up and didn't look like the factory fit. After pointing it out, they agreed and pulled the windshield, repainted it and re positioned the windscreen. After picking up the car 2 days ago, I noticed that the TSB on the gap sealing was not done. Drove for 800 miles yesterday and water is coming in the sides when it started raining. I'm praying the glass doesn't have to come out because the positioning right now is on the money. I know the gap sealing will solve the issue, but i'm also concerned because I noticed squeaking which didn't happen before. Will the TSB take care of the squeaking or should I use the rope trick in combination with sealing the gap? I see a lot of posts on 1 or the other methods, but could the 2 methods be combined? I'm thinking not but anyone else have ideas please chime in.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Ucinick, unsure whether you purchased a new rear window, or you continued with the original rear screen & damaged moulding? Or did you use an aftermarket rubber seal inserted on the on old window?

Regardless of the above, I don't believe you can completely stop rain / water slowly getting under the windscreen outer seal. You will note some Rennlist members will blow dry their rear windscreen by lifting the seal to dry out any moisture below. You did the right thing by repainting the channel when you refitted the rear window. This is key to preventing future rust. Filling the gap is another option as you know.

As for the noise from the window, I haven't had an issue here, and I can't add anything from my experience.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:42 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you verify that the shop you brought your car to had the templates? Because if they did it appears like they didn't bother using them. No one should be touching your car unless they have the templates.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by uicnick
OK finally got my car back...
I have to say the first visit I didn't like the fit of the windscreen. It was positioned too low and the seal was "reaching" up and didn't look like the factory fit. After pointing it out, they agreed and pulled the windshield, repainted it and re positioned the windscreen. After picking up the car 2 days ago, I noticed that the TSB on the gap sealing was not done. Drove for 800 miles yesterday and water is coming in the sides when it started raining. I'm praying the glass doesn't have to come out because the positioning right now is on the money. I know the gap sealing will solve the issue, but i'm also concerned because I noticed squeaking which didn't happen before. Will the TSB take care of the squeaking or should I use the rope trick in combination with sealing the gap? I see a lot of posts on 1 or the other methods, but could the 2 methods be combined? I'm thinking not but anyone else have ideas please chime in.

Really sorry to read this. It's unfortunate that a large percentage of windshield replacements on these cars bring about a whole new batch of issues & headaches.

Andreas
Old 07-03-2013, 10:00 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

I ended up re-using the rear window spokes. Yeah they didn't have the templates, I did not verify before I got the job done (didn't think about it) but they corrected the issue with templates after I did an initial inspection and cited references from this site. The fit is perfect now, I think the only thing needed is the TSB procedure executed to resolve the remaining issues.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:39 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Well of course this happens 3 months later! Driving down 294 south and I see a huge rock launch out of a truck tire. According to safe lite this is not repairable, any other opinions?
Attached Images    
Old 10-05-2013, 02:14 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Arrggghhhh. Condolences.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Oi, that's a bummer! Had you ended up doing the TSB to fill the gap? I'd be interested in how removal of that stuff affects the adjacent paintwork.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:46 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Time for a new windshield. Also, it looks like your wipers don't park far enough down on the glass.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:50 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure about repairability, but on the bright side at least it totally missed the paint!

Quick Reply: Dying to get my car back - Rust repair in progress