Sponsored by:

993 RSR Racecar Build -- Servicable outer CV's

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 01:27 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 993 RSR Racecar Build -- Servicable outer CV's

Earlier this spring decided to make my outer CV's servicable. Ran'm for a couple races so far and needed to take an axle off this weekend and everything seems good...

Basic steps below…
- Cut off outer CV “dust cover”. I used right angle grinder with cut-off wheel. You’ll need to cut off the little ring left behind on the other side of cut. Pic 1,2
- Disassemble CV and rest of axle and clean parts. Pic 3
- Peen in a place for screws to seat on dust cover (I put dust cover on stub axle with stub axle in vice and used brass punch). Pic 4
- Champher inner edge of dust cover where it goes over CV at ~45 angle. I’d bring to just about knife edge. There’s O-ring it needs to go over (you’ll see it when you remove dust cover). I used dremel and ground it so grind marks went in direction of axle.
- Drill holes in dust cover and stub axle (I did with dust cover on stub axle, and all you’ll be able to do is get through dust cover and just barely mark CV surface since it’s hardened)
- Drill and tap CV where your little marks (I had machine shop do this. You’ll need carbide bit to drill. Used 8-32 ¼” screws). Pic 5
- I assembled outer CV dry.
- Greased “inner” part of that CV (part you can see, as other end inside sub axle) flush to top surface. I hung axle to do this, and put block under stub axle to push it up. Pic 6 (yea, I geeked out and painted axle car color). To grease I used “Neo” grease in caulking tube. Works great and no grease on hands or dust cover surfaces.
- Used ThreeBond 1194 sealant on dust cover sealing surfaces. Pic 7. Installed (without boot), tightened down screws and then let dry.
- After dry, went back and put grease in dust cover until it had proper weight of grease. Used gram scale to weigh caulking gun.
- Installed boot.
- Then install and grease outer CV’s. Pic 8,9 – another hanging grease technique.
Attached Images          
Old 06-03-2013, 02:14 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great job Joe! Thanks for the tutorial!
Old 06-03-2013, 04:01 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Joe thanks for the writeup....

What is the proper amount of grease? I don't remember seeing it in the service manual (maybe I missed it).

I tried this last year when I replaced the axles, but gave up trying to drill the CV housing. (Its an understatement to say its hardened... Not sure how Porsche managed to turn steel into diamond...)

Its now time to repack them, can only delay the inevitable so long...
Old 06-04-2013, 01:40 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

jscott -- i had no idea myself so asked on the list a while ago. answer i got was 80-120grams each.

Quick Reply: 993 RSR Racecar Build -- Servicable outer CV's