993 Forum 1995-1998

Easy way to check inner tie rods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 05:19 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Easy way to check inner tie rods?

I had an inspection station complain about play in my driver's side inner tie rod yesterday. I'm fairly sure that they just trying to extort a repair, but... what's the easy way to check for play there?

Had steering rack replaced about 2K miles ago in the fall. The guy doing replacement is a trusted P-car mechanic and did not indicate any issues at the time. I feel no vibration or any other oddness at speed or otherwise. I'm sure the inspection people (not my usual station, my own damn fault) are full of it, but want to double-check.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:59 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack up a wheel and while holding the rim shake it side to side You are trying to sense any lost motion in the rack and linkage. You might have someone hold the steering straight ahead at the time since some motion will carry back to move the st wheel. Normal movement would be something like 1/4 in at the rim .If you detect something ,then have an assistant shake while you grasp around the outer and inner joints and see if you can tell which joint is more loose than another. Be careful being under a car only supported by a jack especially when it is being shaken. Or take it to another shop for a second opinion.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or send me a PM and I'll let you know where to get a sticker.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:21 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Oh, there's no problem with getting a sticker I'm curious if there's something real to worry about in the suspension.

Quick Reply: Easy way to check inner tie rods?