993 Forum 1995-1998

Please Help! - First time doing maintenance on my car - Airbox help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:23 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help! - First time doing maintenance on my car - Airbox help

So today i wanted to replace the fuel filter on my 97 porsche 993. I tried to follow the steps here:

To remove airbox
http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/9...0k.html#airbox

and then the actually process here: http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/993/993_60k_oil.html

Installing and removing the fuel filter went well, but I can't get the airbox to be a tight fit like it was initially. The stupid part on my part, i didn't loosen the" rotate the MAF sensor" as it says in the steps.....I just pulled the air box out without even touching the MAF sensor,(what ever that is).

Anyways, does anyone know what I should do next? Thank you!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:42 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

Im confused, did you or did you not take out the entire airbox housing? If you only took off the filter cover, good, as it is unnecessary to remove the entire thing to change the fuel filter.

If you did take the whole unit out, get a long skinny screw driver and loosen the metal hose clamp that holds the MAF in place. Rotate the MAF towards the front of the car...slide the airbox unit back in so it correctly sits in the guide holes and mates up to the MAF. Then, reach in and rotate the MAF back towards you. You should feel it sort of lock into place. Tighten the hose clamp. Reattach the filter cover and snap into place.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:01 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The MAF, is the Mass Air Flow sensor...Maybe this link will help.
http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.php/993_-_Fuel_Filter
Old 05-30-2013, 02:43 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The MAF sensor is a large black plastic cylinder (5 inches across maybe?) with some wires attached to it - it connects to the back of the airbox assembly on the right as you look into the engine bay, and on the left it connects to the intake manifold - that is where the hose is that you need a long skinny screwdriver to loosen. If you loosen that hose clamp then you rotate the whole MAF sensor (big black cyclinder) towards the rear of the car, and the airbox comes off, and the MAF stays in place connected to the intake manifold. Re-assembly is exact reverse as per the instruction links you referenced.
This isn't easy until you have done it once, then you can do it in your sleep.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:08 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

See this posting "Mass Air Flow Sensor MAF Cleaning does it work?"
Discusses air filter housing reinstall
Old 05-30-2013, 04:54 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got it, thanks for all your help. I just loosened up the clamp and after enough turns it came loose. I just hope everything stays tight in there. Ya i deff can do this in my sleep now!!

Quick Reply: Please Help! - First time doing maintenance on my car - Airbox help